How are the level coming?

RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
Hi :> I've been gone a long time and had to drop my level project but I can see many of you are still at it, with some newcomers too which is great. I've been checking out some of the new additions and beautiful models and its been making me want to pick up level building again. I could try to rework some of my old levels but I figure I might be better off starting over. Has the mapping guideline changed much over the year? Is it still iffy about tech points will have a powergrid? I'll probably start with the guide and map layouts and then go from there.

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Feels like most mapping is slowed down until people can get solid regular games working and not laggy servers.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    The game not working has not impacted on me at all, the editor being a bit more buggy with the black screen hasn't really slowed anything down much either.

In my life I have other committments than the map I'm working on, I do around 40 minutes a day in my lunch time atm.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I'm pretty much on the same train, mapping around 7-10 hours a week. The game has progressed enough to give some good ideas on how layouts and size will play out. Although the mapping guidelines haven't changed it's still a good idea to start there and leave room for modifications later on.

As for the black Thumbnails in the texture browser, I used Perso's fix <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=112797&view=findpost&p=1835079" target="_blank">Here.</a>
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    from dead slow to the halted.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    i got a new job so mine has ground down to "slow progression" but i try to get an hour a day but so far it's been an hour every other day.
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Work and upcoming exams are slowing things down a little. The map's shaping up little by little but I do hope I can spare some more time when summer starts. :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    - Consistent playerbase is not large enough between patches for custom maps
    - No support for hosting custom maps/map rotations
    - Buggy map editor
    - Missing of planned features likely to break level design

Personally, I'm actually surprised anyone is mapping at all right now for NS2.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1840715:date=Apr 13 2011, 12:21 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 13 2011, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Consistent playerbase is not large enough between patches for custom maps
    - No support for hosting custom maps/map rotations
    - Buggy map editor
    - Missing of planned features likely to break level design

Personally, I'm actually surprised anyone is mapping at all right now for NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The editor is more or less the same as the one the development team is using, I think it's missing some unseen props and a geometry tool, that's about it from what I can gather on the forums. Using "buggy editor" as an excuse for not mapping is a poor excuse, I can still map well enough and get by without difficulty in the current state on both 2D and 3D views.

The only valid point someone may have for not wanting to design a level right now is the gameplay element, we simply don't have the insight the design team have. The rest are just "kop outs" for not trying. Although equally, we have to be the guinea pigs for trying out different styles of level and play for the design team. After all, they have to stick to strict guidelines with all their information on such a small team, we have the freedom in the community to be a bit more expressive. So I don't really count that as a kop out, maybe a half-kop out.

If you want to make a map, you will, you won't make an excuse :P
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1840719:date=Apr 12 2011, 05:37 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Apr 12 2011, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The editor is more or less the same as the one the development team is using, I think it's missing some unseen props and a geometry tool, that's about it from what I can gather on the forums. Using "buggy editor" as an excuse for not mapping is a poor excuse, I can still map well enough and get by without difficulty in the current state on both 2D and 3D views.

The only valid point someone may have for not wanting to design a level right now is the gameplay element, we simply don't have the insight the design team have. The rest are just "kop outs" for not trying. Although equally, we have to be the guinea pigs for trying out different styles of level and play for the design team. After all, they have to stick to strict guidelines with all their information on such a small team, we have the freedom in the community to be a bit more expressive. So I don't really count that as a kop out, maybe a half-kop out.

If you want to make a map, you will, you won't make an excuse :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure, but if you want anyone besides diehard mappers to contribute, you really need to make the whole process a lot easier. Denigrating potential mappers who don't want to wade through the (mostly) unsupported custom mapping community as 'cop outs' is not really a good strategy.
  • hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
    Having what I assume is a pretty large base of models and textures missing is a pretty big handicap. A lot of the maps that started early are going to look similar. The wiki right now is good for specific things but I've mostly just experimented with my map and the engine. Most people don't have that much time to figure everything out by trial and error.

To be honest, hardcore mappers who spent the time to figure things out that way ended up making the maps that stuck around for years and years in ns1. I was just happy they released all the tools as early as they did. It seems very user friendly to me, considering you don't have to compile the map and most of the entities do what they're supposed to do.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited April 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1840724:date=Apr 13 2011, 01:50 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 13 2011, 01:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sure, but if you want anyone besides diehard mappers to contribute, you really need to make the whole process a lot easier. Denigrating potential mappers who don't want to wade through the (mostly) unsupported custom mapping community as 'cop outs' is not really a good strategy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are more people modifying and scripting the LUA. I'd say that's harder, they're unsupported in the way of looking and modifying that. There's some video tutorials for the editor.

If you find the editor difficult, I'd say pop in #nsmapping one evening and I can get a livestream up and show you what's what, where's what and how to do what.l The 2D views will be complicated for you to navigate props with the black background right now if you're new to mapping, although if you've used other editors you'll find you can get round that or just use the 3D view.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1840724:date=Apr 13 2011, 01:50 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 13 2011, 01:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Denigrating potential mappers who don't want to wade through the (mostly) unsupported custom mapping community as 'cop outs' is not really a good strategy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not our strategy. Once the game is more stable we'll be back to improving the editor. We have a big list of fixes and improvements ready and waiting. And while we don't have the time to properly support the mapping community at the moment, I do keep an eye in this forum, and I'm pretty sure some of the others do as well. We're always happy to answer questions although to be honest the guys around here are pretty clued-up anyway and often beat us to it.

<!--quoteo(post=1840775:date=Apr 13 2011, 07:32 AM:name=hookeyed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hookeyed @ Apr 13 2011, 07:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840775"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having what I assume is a pretty large base of models and textures missing is a pretty big handicap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not that many are missing actually. The "large base" as you put it is actually what the public has. What we've kept back are mostly unique landmark props that are part of each of our maps' visual identity (like the massive drilling equipment you'll see in Mineshaft). I think there may also be a couple of brand new props that still aren't public but I'm sure they will make it in sooner or later.
    <!--quoteo(post=1840835:date=Apr 13 2011, 12:26 PM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Apr 13 2011, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not that many are missing actually. The "large base" as you put it is actually what the public has. What we've kept back are mostly unique landmark props that are part of each of our maps' visual identity (like the massive drilling equipment you'll see in Mineshaft). I think there may also be a couple of brand new props that still aren't public but I'm sure they will make it in sooner or later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    hmm, alright. I just figured there must be a pile of biodome textures and models sitting over there. Public build only has 3 :(
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    We're still working on levels that fit within the Refining set so there's no need yet to be churning out Biodome assets right now. Docking and Refining both need a full art pass before that happens; Bill is currenly working on some <i>awesome</i> Docking props.
    <!--quoteo(post=1840783:date=Apr 13 2011, 01:54 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Apr 13 2011, 01:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840783"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are more people modifying and scripting the LUA. I'd say that's harder, they're unsupported in the way of looking and modifying that. There's some video tutorials for the editor.

If you find the editor difficult, I'd say pop in #nsmapping one evening and I can get a livestream up and show you what's what, where's what and how to do what.l The 2D views will be complicated for you to navigate props with the black background right now if you're new to mapping, although if you've used other editors you'll find you can get round that or just use the 3D view.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm getting used to the editor, but I still catch myself trying to use shortcuts from hammer (I've unconsciously tried to shift-copy walls/props so many times :P). Besides what I mentioned before, the biggest issue I keep running into is not being able to do non-standard NS2 things, like create a map where only one side is available or where you don't have to have a RR/technodes/resnodes, though I don't expect UWE to support things like that before the v1.0 release. More specifically, I'm looking to create novelty maps similar to the ones in Synergy and Zombie Master (if anyone has played those mods). If I have the time, I'll probably poke around in the LUA to see if I can do a simple mod to do what I want.

Also, basic mapping info is very scattered right now. How to create a map, light it, what entities are needed, and NS2 design are more or less available, but its spread between these forums, the wiki, and mapping guidelines pdf. It'd be nice if the guidelines and tutorials were all collected into one place, preferably as a stickied thread or on the wiki.
    If you've used more than hammer before, or even using hammer, the icons are pretty straight forward. The only thing I've noticed people need time to adjust to are the two;

i. faces instead of brushes
    ii. not needing to seal a level off by facework, propwork can do this

As I've said though, pop in #nsmapping. Since I can use it I've used the editor more or less every day or every other day, if there's anything you struggle with and I can help with I'll do so, I've got IRC, streaming capability and voice comms (via mumble) I can connect to and assist you with =]
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1840853:date=Apr 13 2011, 01:31 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 13 2011, 01:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm getting used to the editor, but I still catch myself trying to use shortcuts from hammer (I've unconsciously tried to shift-copy walls/props so many times :P). Besides what I mentioned before, the biggest issue I keep running into is not being able to do non-standard NS2 things, like create a map where only one side is available or where you don't have to have a RR/technodes/resnodes, though I don't expect UWE to support things like that before the v1.0 release. More specifically, I'm looking to create novelty maps similar to the ones in Synergy and Zombie Master (if anyone has played those mods). If I have the time, I'll probably poke around in the LUA to see if I can do a simple mod to do what I want.

Also, basic mapping info is very scattered right now. How to create a map, light it, what entities are needed, and NS2 design are more or less available, but its spread between these forums, the wiki, and mapping guidelines pdf. It'd be nice if the guidelines and tutorials were all collected into one place, preferably as a stickied thread or on the wiki.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

just pm koujisan or go irc with thal, or ask your question on the forumz.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2011
    Although the editor is occasionally buggy I haven't encountered much geometry wise that was impossible to achieve, although sometimes a bit time consuming. Line drawing in 3d view is also quite easy for making lines directly along a particular axis and to be honest I rarely ever use 2d view anyway. I think the reason that lately way less progress is getting posted is that, although a lot of us are still working on our maps, it is extremely difficult to coordinate any meaningful games. I mean, to get an actual game going on a custom map right now requires you to have a server's worth of friends who all have the latest version of your map, have it running on a server, and have coordinated a time everyone will join and play.

If downloading of custom maps on client connect was possible then we would be seeing mappers posting more about their maps and trying to promote for server ops to run them since any clients who want to download and try the map can just connect to the server instead of having to track it down..
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited April 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1840582:date=Apr 11 2011, 11:22 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Apr 11 2011, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game not working has not impacted on me at all, the editor being a bit more buggy with the black screen hasn't really slowed anything down much either.

In my life I have other committments than the map I'm working on, I do around 40 minutes a day in my lunch time atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

@Thaldrin Woww. 40 mins a day good working. I like your still :) Mine is someweeks 0 mins a week, someweeks 1 mins a week nowadays :) Just checking black screen and some other bugs if it is fixed or not.

I stoped my map, cuz gameplay mode, performance and other things are important for me. And still many bugs as Thaldrin says, we report those before. I think real maps will not be finished before the game was close to NS2 RTM state.
    <!--quoteo(post=1840860:date=Apr 13 2011, 12:36 PM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Apr 13 2011, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the reason that lately way less progress is getting posted is that, although a lot of us are still working on our maps, it is extremely difficult to coordinate any meaningful games. I mean, to get an actual game going on a custom map right now requires you to have a server's worth of friends who all have the latest version of your map, have it running on a server, and have coordinated a time everyone will join and play.

If downloading of custom maps on client connect was possible then we would be seeing mappers posting more about their maps and trying to promote for server ops to run them since any clients who want to download and try the map can just connect to the server instead of having to track it down..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

I can work around the buggy editor and not feature-complete game, but having no meaningful way to largescale bug/balance test a map is a killer. The most I've seen is 4 people playtesting SN.Wolf's ns2_clandestine, where all we really accomplished was figuring out that you can annotate custom maps.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Hmms.. perhaps we should set up a Custom Maps / Community Content Test Server and a shared hosting area for people to grab maps from? If the server name starts with the url of the shared hosting area we might get people that join purely by seeing it in server view.
    The best way to get it popular will more than likely be testing with the competitive community.
    <!--quoteo(post=1840997:date=Apr 14 2011, 12:33 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Apr 14 2011, 12:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1840997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The best way to get it popular will more than likely be testing with the competitive community.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ya, but the competitive community isn't likely to truly get started until after the v1.0 release. We're talking about ways to get maps created and tested during the beta.
    yeah, it'd be nice to have some place to drop an unpolished map and get a few people on there quickly. especially other mappers, could give annotations or live constructive crticism.
    didn't the devs mention they could make quick changes to a map while playing it? is that option available in the pub build?
    <!--quoteo(post=1841112:date=Apr 15 2011, 05:01 PM:name=hookeyed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hookeyed @ Apr 15 2011, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841112"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah, it'd be nice to have some place to drop an unpolished map and get a few people on there quickly. especially other mappers, could give annotations or live constructive crticism.
    didn't the devs mention they could make quick changes to a map while playing it? is that option available in the pub build?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know they can hotswap scripts live. Being able to do the same with maps would be awesome, but I don't think they have the feature.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1841116:date=Apr 15 2011, 05:36 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 15 2011, 05:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841116"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know they can hotswap scripts live. Being able to do the same with maps would be awesome, but I don't think they have the feature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did a little test a few builds ago to try and change map elements in real time and the only changes i seen in real time where textures. lights,cinematics, props/scale/movement and geometry required a reload of the level. I'm not sure about the current build though but i would assume this is still the case.
    The editor is a WYSIWYG although I wouldn't go messing with my original map file while it were being played, heh. It says "post-processing" when loading a level for a reason ;)
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    What he said :]

<!--quoteo(post=1841152:date=Apr 16 2011, 04:39 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Apr 16 2011, 04:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The editor is a WYSIWYG although I wouldn't go messing with my original map file while it were being played, heh. It says "post-processing" when loading a level for a reason ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • john_bjohn_b Join Date: 2011-03-10 Member: 85608Members
    I'm waiting for more textures, props, and particularly water to be added to the game/editor before I start anything serious.
    I wouldn't count your chickens on water being added anytime soon.