Can xbox players play with pc players on NS2?

MickyblueMickyblue Join Date: 2011-03-26 Member: 88745Members
It's just a suggestion, but is it possible for players that have the game on the xbox 360 to be able to play with players on the PC. It'd be nice to be able to play online with my friends on xbox if I buy it on PC, otherwise I'll have to wait to buy the game on xbox rather than purchasing it now on my computer.

Comments

• extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    xbox version is just a theory right now. probably years away.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited March 2011
    I'd also doubt playing cross-platform. Console v PC is pretty tough to do from what I know. You'll also find console players get outclassed easily by PC gamers, simply because the input (mouse and keyboard) is a lot more responsive.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2011
    Microsoft already tested this - consol gamers hated it.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1838915:date=Mar 26 2011, 09:25 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Mar 26 2011, 09:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Microsoft already tested this - consol gamers hated it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Correction. The console players got owned. The top console players got owned by "average" PC gamers.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Could always do what Shadowrun tried and gimp the stats for PC players.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2011
    I kinda like the idea mixing them. Doesn't xbox have keyboard support anyway? I personally play some console games myself, but might show console gamers PC is better :)

Skulking with a controller sounds like a lot of fun too.

Only concern would be commander mode but I'm sure hotkey groups being chosen with the dpad or something allows all the same inputs fairly quickly.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1838921:date=Mar 26 2011, 02:01 PM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Mar 26 2011, 02:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I kinda like the idea mixing them. Doesn't xbox have keyboard support anyway?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, but part of the point of a console is that you don't have to use a keyboard. Otherwise, you just turn your xbox into a desktop.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Only place I can see a Xbox+PC environment work is if it's co-op against the AI, but in any kind of player versus player then it's doomed to be unbalanced.
  • mobettamobetta Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72693Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1838917:date=Mar 26 2011, 04:55 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Mar 26 2011, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could always do what Shadowrun tried and gimp the stats for PC players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shadowrun was infact a very very good game.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    We would destroy your pathetic console players...just sayin..

All your base are belong to us!
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    PC > Console.

PC players would dominate console players. That and I firmly believe that FPS games belong on the PC and is their true home.
  • wazups2xwazups2x Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72902Members
    NO. I would never want that to happen.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    It's more a matter of the superiority of the Mouse + Keyboard control scheme for first person shooters and real time strategies (of which this game is both). Nothing else matches it.
  • mobettamobetta Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72693Banned
    Well i think it could work. The console players would neeed some buffs but some of thos guys in the sticks are in fact pretty good. I could see ps3 and pc cross platform. Ps3 lets u use a keyboard and mouse and steam is integrated into ps3. Portal is going to be doing this cross platform with the ps3 so it could work.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Portal is coop, huge difference from a competitive multiplayer game.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    I believe NS2 is a PC only game, and a port to consoles is years from happening.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1838955:date=Mar 27 2011, 07:04 AM:name=mobetta)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mobetta @ Mar 27 2011, 07:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well i think it could work. The console players would neeed some buffs but some of thos guys in the sticks are in fact pretty good. I could see ps3 and pc cross platform. Ps3 lets u use a keyboard and mouse and steam is integrated into ps3. Portal is going to be doing this cross platform with the ps3 so it could work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have a skulk leap over your head behind you. Try to shoot it while it does that.

Now try to do that with a joystick.

And yes, in order to play NS/NS2, that kind of snap shooting IS something that has to be possible, as well as the quick 180 in case you missed.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    NS isn't made for consoles at all, so much of the game has to change (further dumbed-down) to be fitted to play with <u>joysticks.</u>

from marketing point of view it might mean more, and better sells for this company, wider crowd will be reached. But this pretty much further proves (i hope i'm wrong) NS will never be what it was.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    They would have to limit the freedom of camera movement (and subsequent pitch and yaw control) down to what the joystick provides in order to keep things truly equal.

That or release a controller for the console with some revolutionary touch pad that compared to the range of motion you have with a mouse (I've drawn concepts for one, it could be done nicely).
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    I dont think it would work all that well on a console anyways ... the RTS aspect would cause some issues I think.

May be wrong here but I am pretty sure the few RTS games that did end up on a console ( besides the tactics class of RPG RTS ) wasnt so popular, not on par with the PC reception of those games.
    You cant simply tell the console gamers to get a keyboard + mouse , consider where the console gamer is most likely playing ... at least 6ft from the TV lounging on a couch or laying on the floor with a wireless gampad.
    A mouse and keyboard would need a stable platform to sit on ( or have a trackball intrigrated on a keyboard ), and wouldnt allow for couch lazing :P

A FPS RTS hybrid would have even greater issues, as it wouldnt apeal to either pure FPS players or the few RTS console players as it include elements form radically different playstyles... it works on the PC as a) the inital NS was a free mod, not too much hassle to give it a go and b) trying to adapt FPS twitch skills to a RTS and visa versa isnt as hard on a keyboard and mouse setup as a gamepad.

Finally NS 2 on a console would be viewed first as a FPS then a RTS, and would be competing for attention against the CoDs and Gears lot. On a PC players are looking for anything that is different from ' those console ports ' and are willing to try out obscure titles.
    ... unless UWE is planning to sell it at $30 on the consoles, no CoD / Gears player is going to part with $60 for a hybrid.

...ahh, forgot to also include the pure load of shovelware FPS titles on the consoles ( like that Mindjack ), all hoping to make the next MW2 ... NS 2 would be drowned in the mess.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    By the time UWE is ready to port NS2 over to console, consoles will not be around anymore because they will be obsolete.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    lol elitism comes out....
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    UW is making a mistake if they port NS2 to xbox....will waste years on developement. Only "good" thing would be that they learned how to make games on the xbox. Introversion wasted 2-3 years porting Darwinia to xbox and published it on xbox live. It didnt sell very well, and Introversion almost closed down(again) because of the wasted effort(read their blogs).
    Maybe UW wanna make their engine compatible with xbox or something, so they can make other games on it, or sell licences...only reason i can see.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1839010:date=Mar 28 2011, 07:59 AM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ Mar 28 2011, 07:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the time UWE is ready to port NS2 over to console, consoles will not be around anymore because they will be obsolete.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    More likely the opposite. PC gaming outside of MMOs is slowly becoming niche, when compared to the console market.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited March 2011
    i really hope not. besides the notorious xbox live crowd, i want my teammates to not be using controllers.
  • SkvateSkvate Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9892Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited April 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1839029:date=Mar 28 2011, 03:19 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 28 2011, 03:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->More likely the opposite. PC gaming outside of MMOs is slowly becoming niche, when compared to the console market.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is RTS and Action-RTS a niche?(Starcraft, Dota etc). I see new Dota-clones popping up everywhere(HoN, LoL, Demigod, Crash, Bloodlines etc).
    Is Civilization a niche? What is your definition of niche?

True FPS players will never fully switch to the console...even with kinect and move. Only gamers not utilizing the y-axis can stand playing on a console.

How many successfull indie developers are there on xbox?

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live_Indie_Games" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Live_Indie_Games</a>

6000 sales first 10 days...not too bad. Minecraft probably sold that many during its lunchbreak last friday though(Minecraft has sold over 1,7 million as of march 27. Thats almost 700k in 3 months...and its still beta!).

PC games is ideal for indies, consoles is obviously not. I would rather go developing for tablets than for consoles....but if UWE will risk going bankrupt...its their choice.

PC for "niche" my ass....and PC includes tablets(since its the future "PC").
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    If in the end it turns out that there are spare ressources to port the game over to the xbox, and even if it's just a sideproduct of making the engine capable of running on it, why not. A working game is always a better showcase than just saying 'hey we got this engine here'. That's imo the whole reason Serious Sam exists :D
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    What I don't like about console gaming is it seems to be all about taking control away from the player. Not always. Not every game. But it's a reoccurring theme. Also the concept of consoles is designed to turn you from a user into a consumer.

I can see why it's being pushed, though.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1839042:date=Mar 28 2011, 10:12 AM:name=Skvate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skvate @ Mar 28 2011, 10:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is RTS and Action-RTS a niche?(Starcraft, Dota etc). I see new Dota-clones popping up everywhere(HoN, LoL, Demigod, Crash, Bloodlines etc).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And you forgot "social games". Okay, many people don't like them but I think Zynga is laughing their *ss off when hearing about the 250 million "niche" PC gamers that shovel millions and millions of dollars into their pockets.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Slightly off topic but if NS2 ever comes out for the Xbox please allow 4 people on one console to play online multiplayer. In my opinion the only selling point for consoles is being able to play in the same room with your friends but few games let you do that anymore.