New System Crashed while running NS2, Not starting up.

epsilan47epsilan47 Join Date: 2011-03-20 Member: 87553Members
edited March 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey guys I recently purchased a new system (specs below). I installed Windows 7 64-bit without issues, connected my old hard drive and copied some files over (including NS2). Today I hooked it up, ran NS2, played a game (which by the way was very fun) and then went for a break. A couple hours later, I come back hoping to play another round. I run over to the 'Join Marine' room and run over to the armory, as soon as I press e (use key) my screen goes black, a message pops up 'Resolution not optimal, recommended 1440 x 900' and my computer crashes. I start it up again, all fans come on, LEDs lights come on, I hear the windows starting sound but my screen is black, the power button is turning on and off on the monitor which it does when there is something connected but the computer is off.

So I plug my monitor into the motherboard VGA and the same result, screen black, everything starting up, sounds, LEDs. Then I disconnect my graphics card, plug the monitor in and it works?

My theory is the power supply isn't sufficient, although how would it work in the first place?

Please help!

MOBO: Asus M4A885-M LE
RAM: 4 x 2 GB Corsair XMS 3 DDR3
Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055t
Power supply: Corsair CX500, 500W
Case: CoolerMaster 690 II

As for my cooling, I am using the heatsink and fan that came with the CPU, and there are 2 fans in the case as well. I haven't even had a chance to install software to check the temperature.

EDIT: For the monitor, it is a VGA monitor so I use the DVI-to-VGA adaptor that came with the GPU.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Is it beeping in a specific pattern during post or perhaps on the motherboard showing you some red indicator leds?

Just asking as this also sounds like a bios crash (OC related), resulting in needing to reset it to default...
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I'd look in to it being a BSOD. Especially if youve just installed an OS,

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Screen_of_Death" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Screen_of_Death</a>

A few security updates in Windows 7 actually triggered this at one point, so it's possible that if your computer installed some updates then crashed, you could get this. It's just one of many problems that could cause it, but I'd be looking right at that one now simply because it's a new build and likely to have started those updates and not completed them on shut down due to a crash.

The problem isn't with NS2 what so ever, black screens are rarely ever to do with a specific application.
  • epsilan47epsilan47 Join Date: 2011-03-20 Member: 87553Members
    Reset BIOS, nothing fixed. Getting the card returned and replaced today, one dumb thing on my part was not installing the drivers and software for the card right away when I got it.

There were also no red indicators, it was just a beep my computer makes when it starts up everytime, infact there was only a green indicator on the motherboard.

As for BSOD, is there anything I can do to fix it?
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    edited March 2011
    i had a similar problem with my sisters comp. ati 5770 card worked fine, civ 5 crashed and then black screen on restart. onboard graphics worked with card unplugged, as soon as the 5770 was plug back in the screen stayed black on startup. returned the card and the replacement works fine.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Kind off odd, usually the motherboard will tell you at least something. Either by beeping in a Morse code or by having four leds on the motherboard showing a pattern. Both of which you could look up in your manual.

In this case, if there is something wrong with the graphics card ie:
    - card not plugged into the PSU, heh I've had this happen once :P
    - card borked

It will at least do a "<i><b>beeb boo beep</b></i>" thingy to tell you something is wrong with the GPU card installation

Odd, very odd indeed...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2011
    sounds like an application attempted to change resolution and POSSIBLY frequency. if the frequency changes to a number your monitor doesnt support it should announce something on your monitor as "Frequency out of range" but this doesnt always happen, sometimes just "no signal" if your monitor is old (which, being VGA it sounds like it could be) i've had a monitor once "stuck" in this mode, it would remember to be "out of range" when hooked up to this card. so you can either switch PCI ports or switch monitors. if this doesnt work it could be your monitor.

to test:
    turn on your system and plug in a different, modern monitor. (dvi)

if no POST is displayed and its just black then you know its not your monitor.
    with no POST screen then its either your power supply or mobo. and if you've already tried resetting the CMOS battery, then you need to download BIOS drivers onto a usb stick and look up your motherboard's method of installing drivers with solely a few key presses on a fresh restart.

else, if you can get to POST you know its definitely not your hardware thats in your case. so you should attempt to get to the OS to see if this is the issue. if you cant get into windows its not your monitor or card its your OS or a setting / registry thats been changed and you'll need to recover or reinstall.

goodluck
    edited March 2011
    Looks like the card just got bricked. However the fan on the card still runs when the computer on, or does that happen even when a card borks?

Also, kouji_san, I checked multiple times and there are no red LEDs, only a green from the motherboard, and there are no distinctive sounds coming from it.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to my replacement card. Loey, do you know if your sister's cards fan still spun when it wasn't showing any video?

EDIT: In response to ironhorse, as soon as I plug out my graphics card and plug the monitor into the motherboard VGA it works and Windows 7 starts up and runs fine. I also tried clearing the RTC RAM, which resets the BIOS I believe, does the CMOS battery reset do something else and how do you reset it?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1838249:date=Mar 21 2011, 01:59 PM:name=epsilan47)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (epsilan47 @ Mar 21 2011, 01:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks like the card just got bricked. However the fan on the card still runs when the computer on, or does that happen even when a card borks?

Also, kouji_san, I checked multiple times and there are no red LEDs, only a green from the motherboard, and there are no distinctive sounds coming from it.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to my replacement card. Loey, do you know if your sister's cards fan still spun when it wasn't showing any video?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

how did you come to this conclusion??

if your mobo is beeping it may have nothing to do with a video card?
    edited March 2011
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Some faulty hardware somewhere for sure. A 500W corsair is more than enough to handle that single GPU system. I'd run memtest, prime95, and furmark to rule out your memory, CPU, and video card respectively. Leaning towards video.
    edited March 2011
    then it can still simply be an issue with your monitor being too old or not talking correctly to the video card. meaning NOT the video card's fault. old monitors (16 ms response time 4:3 aspect ratio LCD screens are an example) dont talk nicely with modern day cards.

also, have you tried reseating the card? shut down, take out carefully, and re seat it securely.
    my 295gtx the other day kept messing up on me while playing games. i thought the card was dead finally.
    turns out somehow it came loose slightly.

still, you should try a different modern monitor being assuming its the gfx card.
    edited March 2011
    Maybe it's just my motherboards but almost every motherboard I've had, made a little beep as soon as it turns on.

I've come to that conclusion because I tried a lot of methods and the user who has experienced the same problem had it solved by just replacing the card.

EDIT: I've reinstalled the card multiple times, and I also do not have another monitor to test on.
  • TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
    You mentioned you didn't install card drivers. Did you ever actually end up doing that? Definitely something you need to before going and playing games. Would be nice if you had other computer parts to switch with and test out. My guess is you just did a quality assurance test of the video card and found out it fails after a short time of intense use ;)
    Just replaced it, the guy at the video store tried it on the computer they have and it definitely wasn't a monitor problem and that the card died. He said it might be from the power supply.

I'm about to plug it in, install drivers and run tests. Does anybody any utilities to measure power supply usage, graphics card usage, power consumption, etc.?
    <!--quoteo(post=1838262:date=Mar 21 2011, 03:42 PM:name=epsilan47)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (epsilan47 @ Mar 21 2011, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He said it might be from the power supply.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i'd recommend at least a 750W from Corsair or someone equally trustworthy to go along with your new card..
    a killer rig can be made into a dead heap if the power supply is bad or sometimes insufficient so never cheap out on it. :)
    goodluck
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2011
    The Corsair 500w PSU he got is more than enough for his system (if no overclocking - he got space for at least another 100watt under full power usage - which is not really something you can archieve without using heavy load stability testing programs like prime and furmark running at the same time)

I dont want to say that it wasnt the psu, but in theory the 500w is enough - even for a little overclocking. (so if its not already changed - send it back and get a new one, just in case)

I made some calculations with your setup + added a few pci cards (sound, tv, internet), used 4 slots ram, 5 harddisks, 6 fans, fan controler, 6 usb devices, and changed your gfx card to a crossfire 5870 setup etc + overclocking (cpu at 4ghz @ 1.5 volt)
    I ended up with 700watt (xfire 6970 or sli 580 would be 860W)

Note that this are recommended numbers - so already adjusted that your psu stays around 50-80% load MAX.

<a href="http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power" target="_blank">http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power</a>

So if you want the option to put in another 5850 card for a xfire setup take 600-700w (+ overclocking)
    If you stay with a single slot card 500-600w (+ overclocking)

If you dont overclock even 400-450w would be enough. (if voltages are set by hand(maybe even undervolted[means under the recommended voltage]) - not on auto in bios which is usually a LOT higher than needed)
    Replaced my video card, everything is working fine so far.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1838425:date=Mar 22 2011, 07:57 PM:name=epsilan47)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (epsilan47 @ Mar 22 2011, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838425"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Replaced my video card, everything is working fine so far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe a defective GPU then? It might have only showed up with NS2 because it was the first game that pushed it hard enough for the defect to show.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I always advise people to have a 200W gap, why? Power fluctuations in the home can produce spikes which you can't actually cater for and general PSU spikes are consider in the 50W-100W region. So it's nice to give yourself headroom, knowing that any minor problem with electrics won't kill anything on your computer.
    How many watts would you guys suggest I get my new PSU at? Assuming I want to overclock the 1055T and the GPU pretty high.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2011
    To follow Thals advice ~ 700watt. (i doubt u wanna play around with gpu voltage on a stock cooler - so 500-600watt would be more than enough in reality)

Enermax MODU87+ 700W ATX 2.3
    Seasonic X-Series X-650 650W ATX 2.3
    be quiet! Dark Power Pro P9 650W ATX 2.3
    Cougar SX S700 700W ATX 2.3
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    I just go with 800/1000 watt with as many rails as i can get for better load spread.
    I have serious power surges and micro powercuts where I live so I have gone through a few PSU's before finally gettin a 1000 Watt PSU with 3 Rails, Had this for years now.
    Also i got a multi socket power bar with surge protection.
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    edited March 2011
    Anything Be Quiet! is brilliant. Fully recommended. Even if they're selling napkins/toilet rolls. They are just awesome.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    Do not get a new PSU, that will not fix your problem.

A Corsair CX500 is a pretty good PSU already, it has 34A on its 12V lane - much more than my Enermax 500W, which has only 22A - still works fine with a setup that burns about as much energy as yours (about 300W max).

I'd recommend checking your gpu and cpu temps with programs like gpu-z and core temp while running stress tests such as prime95 for the cpu and furmark for the gpu. Just google those, you'll fine them.

Also note the error codes you get when your computer crashes - put those into google and you might get an idea what's causing it.

Got no bluescreen w/ error codes? well then check the 'event viewer' built into windows 7 - it'll log the error there.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1838151:date=Mar 21 2011, 05:24 AM:name=epsilan47)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (epsilan47 @ Mar 21 2011, 05:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey guys I recently purchased a new system (specs below). I installed Windows 7 64-bit without issues, connected my old hard drive and copied some files over (including NS2). Today I hooked it up, ran NS2, played a game (which by the way was very fun) and then went for a break. A couple hours later, I come back hoping to play another round. I run over to the 'Join Marine' room and run over to the armory, as soon as I press e (use key) my screen goes black, a message pops up 'Resolution not optimal, recommended 1440 x 900' and my computer crashes. I start it up again, all fans come on, LEDs lights come on, I hear the windows starting sound but my screen is black, the power button is turning on and off on the monitor which it does when there is something connected but the computer is off.

So I plug my monitor into the motherboard VGA and the same result, screen black, everything starting up, sounds, LEDs. Then I disconnect my graphics card, plug the monitor in and it works?

My theory is the power supply isn't sufficient, although how would it work in the first place?

Please help!

MOBO: Asus M4A885-M LE
    RAM: 4 x 2 GB Corsair XMS 3 DDR3
    Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055t
    Power supply: Corsair CX500, 500W
    Case: CoolerMaster 690 II

As for my cooling, I am using the heatsink and fan that came with the CPU, and there are 2 fans in the case as well. I haven't even had a chance to install software to check the temperature.

EDIT: For the monitor, it is a VGA monitor so I use the DVI-to-VGA adaptor that came with the GPU.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since it was NS that broke your new system, I feel it is only right that UWE buys you a new replacement. :D
    <!--quoteo(post=1838707:date=Mar 24 2011, 11:28 PM:name=PoNeH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PoNeH @ Mar 24 2011, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838707"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since it was NS that broke your new system, I feel it is only right that UWE buys you a new replacement. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hey um, yeah... My GPU/CPU/PSU/HDD's/IDE-Drives also somehow got smashed, when I threw the thing out of the... *<i>AHEM!</i>* I mean when I was running NS2.

UWE owes me a new system!
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1838707:date=Mar 24 2011, 11:28 PM:name=PoNeH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PoNeH @ Mar 24 2011, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838707"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since it was NS that broke your new system, I feel it is only right that UWE buys you a new replacement. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 never broke the system. The user did.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1838716:date=Mar 24 2011, 08:56 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 24 2011, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 never broke the system. The user did.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *ahem* I believe the Poneh was utilizing irony.
    Hey guys, I still haven't replaced my power supply (Corsair CX500W) and today I tried overclocking my 1055T to 3.5ghz (from 2.8ghz). It works fine and improvement is visible but the only thing is that when I run it in prime95, as soon as the temps hit 52 degrees it throttles the multiplier from 14.0 to 7.5. This hasn't happened while in any game so I'm asking you, is it safe to continue running with this and is the throttling a result of the PSU not being powerful enough?

Also, I tried overclocking my video card to 850, 1200 (HD 5870 clocks) and it worked fine but as soon as I put on a youtube video, the driver crashed and then I got the blue screen. Again, is this a result of the PSU not being powerful enough or something else?

P.S. 850, 1200 is easily achievable with this card and has even gotten as high as 1000, 1500 for some people.

Thanks in advance
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    edited March 2011
    Sounds like a PSU problem to me to be honest. Double check and make sure you have the correct wattage and also the right amount of Volts on the 12V rail.
    Do this by either looking at the sticker on the side of the PSU or if you know what you have you can look it up online. Check the requirements of your card and you should know if your PSU is suitable for the card. If you are overclocking then the card obviously needs a better unit if you are at bare minimum with your PSU before the over clock.

When I bought my girlfriend a whole new computer and video card back in January of 2010 I made one vital mistake. I forgot all about a new PSU for the system.

At first it ran fine but every now and then games would begin to crash. The GPU was not getting the right amount of power needed to run the high powered games.

It ran fine until the action heated up in the game and the GPU was doing what it was built to do. The game crashed and brought her back to the desktop. It dawned on me that I forgot to upgrade the PSU. Ran a rush order and in 2 days I had the new PSU. Installed it and everything has run fine since.