Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 169 released

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 169 released here

Comments

• ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    edited March 2011
    Login.
    Check forums.
    Refresh.
    Build 169 released.
    Have heart attack.
    Post reply.

Nice update though, lots of the good stuff and very fast release!

Seems like only yesterday 168 was released... oh wait, it was!
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited March 2011
    You guys are on a roll! Thanks for the new patch :)

The shotgun fire and reload change sounds interesting, I'll have to test it out..
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    musta been small, started steam and it said download finished....lol.

lovin it!!
  • neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    good work guys keep it up!!

only thing thats puzzling me is how these bugs are managing to slip through play testing. You'll get away with it in beta but come final release i think patches will need to be comprehensively scrutinised.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1837679:date=Mar 18 2011, 02:08 AM:name=neilm86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neilm86 @ Mar 18 2011, 02:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->only thing thats puzzling me is how these bugs are managing to slip through play testing. You'll get away with it in beta but come final release i think patches will need to be comprehensively scrutinised.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because we don't have dedicated internal QA department like most development companies, to test the game all day, every day. We only have so much time to take out from work to organize a testing game, get enough people in it, and play for long enough to catch all the problems. So, unfortunately a lot of things don't show up during the playtest, and patches get shipped with bugs.

We could take the time to more thoroughly test every patch, and fix all the issues that crop up, but we figure its better to put out patches more frequently, then get each one perfect. I'm sure when we go from Beta to the actual release there will be much more testing done beforehand.

--Cory
  • neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    I'm not complaining, big fan of multipatch.

Does it cost money to publish patches through steam?
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837684:date=Mar 17 2011, 10:24 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Mar 17 2011, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because we don't have dedicated internal QA department like most development companies, to test the game all day, every day. We only have so much time to take out from work to organize a testing game, get enough people in it, and play for long enough to catch all the problems. So, unfortunately a lot of things don't show up during the playtest, and patches get shipped with bugs.

We could take the time to more thoroughly test every patch, and fix all the issues that crop up, but we figure its better to put out patches more frequently, then get each one perfect. I'm sure when we go from Beta to the actual release there will be much more testing done beforehand.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you've got a forum worth of people who would be more than happy enough to test post-release patches/updates. Setting aside a couple nights of the week for 50 or so people to test new builds on your own servers is just a matter of asking us. Granted that it's done in moderation however.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This news post made me grin!
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    I don't think people understand what "beta testing" means anymore. They just think it's some free ticket to get into a game early.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1837699:date=Mar 17 2011, 11:07 PM:name=jkflipflop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkflipflop @ Mar 17 2011, 11:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think people understand what "beta testing" means anymore. They just think it's some free ticket to get into a game early.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can I get an Amen!?
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    the shotgun shoot so nice now
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1837692:date=Mar 17 2011, 06:43 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Mar 17 2011, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you've got a forum worth of people who would be more than happy enough to test post-release patches/updates. Setting aside a couple nights of the week for 50 or so people to test new builds on your own servers is just a matter of asking us. Granted that it's done in moderation however.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^THIS. I'm in?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1837699:date=Mar 17 2011, 07:07 PM:name=jkflipflop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkflipflop @ Mar 17 2011, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think people understand what "beta testing" means anymore. They just think it's some free ticket to get into a game early.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But I want my full release NS2 bug-free right now!!! /sarcasm

I don't expect bug-free patches but its depressing to see performance degrade significantly after a patch. B168 server performance was back to nearly unplayable levels for many of the servers I was on yesterday.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I played some games that ran really well and some games that were completely horrible in 168. A lot of it really does come down to the server. I think there are plenty of servers on the list that just don't have enough horsepower to run a decent game - I don't know if it's because NS2 requires an amazing server due to performance issues or because they're just crappy servers, but either way, I wish people wouldn't fill up servers that obviously aren't playing well.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1837692:date=Mar 18 2011, 02:43 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Mar 18 2011, 02:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you've got a forum worth of people who would be more than happy enough to test post-release patches/updates. Setting aside a couple nights of the week for 50 or so people to test new builds on your own servers is just a matter of asking us. Granted that it's done in moderation however.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You then need someone to manage that, manage the people and sift through the data determining what is reliable, what is not reliable and then passing that on to the relevant area. Right now you've got Get Satisfaction -> Relevant area which is more direct.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1837719:date=Mar 17 2011, 08:44 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Mar 17 2011, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played some games that ran really well and some games that were completely horrible in 168. A lot of it really does come down to the server. I think there are plenty of servers on the list that just don't have enough horsepower to run a decent game - I don't know if it's because NS2 requires an amazing server due to performance issues or because they're just crappy servers, but either way, I wish people wouldn't fill up servers that obviously aren't playing well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's true, but I played on servers that we're fine in the morning and then performance tanked in the evening.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nice patch. No sound issues now.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1837684:date=Mar 17 2011, 09:24 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Mar 17 2011, 09:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because we don't have dedicated internal QA department like most development companies, to test the game all day, every day. We only have so much time to take out from work to organize a testing game, get enough people in it, and play for long enough to catch all the problems. So, unfortunately a lot of things don't show up during the playtest, and patches get shipped with bugs.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really I am available to help play-test anyday, anytime. Would be glad to help because Finding bugs can be a lot of fun!
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Okay I didn't get to 168 before 169

Skulk stickiness is better.
    I still would love to have it even stickier...make it so I have to jump to get off.
    I didn't notice the tilt effect.
    Too many skulks are still playing on the floor...I wanna see them bouncing off walls ...crawling on ceiling.
    At the same time the stickiness is making running on the floor slower it seems.

General performance has improved a bit.
    I finally found playing TRAM a semi enjoyable experience.
    Engine still has abrupt hitches.

Still loving the alien vision.
    It is cool how it cleans up the whole screen helps me navigate better as an alien.
    Lovely effect and it seems to have no change of FPS for me.

Still some responsiveness problems with ordering MACs to build stuff.
    I waste alot of time clicking on that resource node to the right of start in tram.

The building of turrets has gotten alot better.
    It blinks out occasionally when you click initially which is disconcerting.
    But the two click placement is becoming more reliable.

The MAC attack is becoming annoying.
    i saw a pack of 5 or 6 MACS come into tech room
    and build a turret with a portable power node.
    neat concept until the MACs hid in the boxes in the wall under both.
    no matter how much I shot at both the macs could keep under healing the whole time.

The sound bug has snuck into a couple builds now.
    I would suggest some sort of test prior to patch release.
    What is the root cause? Can you put an assert around it for a test run?
    If you can unit test it even better, its got to be disheartening to you guys as well.

I am confused when burning DI. Do I just burn that one spot?
    The one that lights on fire.

Overall a chunk of improvements.
    I look forward to the next chunk.

Keep Cranking UW.
  • throttlethrottle Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22776Members, Constellation
    Love the wall walk, despite the naysayers.

Server does make all the difference. I'm sure with some hefty opts near the release any decent server could run this butter smooth.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1837727:date=Mar 18 2011, 06:11 AM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ Mar 18 2011, 06:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really I am available to help play-test anyday, anytime. Would be glad to help because Finding bugs can be a lot of fun!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay after you said that, I'm compelled to link this video I was given earlier, by a games industry worker who said "yeah, that's pretty much all true",

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lGar7KC6Wiw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lGar7KC6Wiw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837727:date=Mar 18 2011, 05:11 PM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ Mar 18 2011, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really I am available to help play-test anyday, anytime. Would be glad to help because Finding bugs can be a lot of fun!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its a beta...the idea of betas is to test and find bugs. The reason we get to play a beta at all is that we are used as the testers, thus reducing the workload/cost.

We got a discount on the cost of the game by being part of beta, in effect this was UWE paying you to be a tester.

I ask you...would you rather not be playing ns2 at all whilst all the beta work is done behind closed door (over a much greater period of time?)

UWE are simply following a well established business model similar to what bill gates did back in the dos days.

Now if you where talking about patches for say counterstrike, a game that is fully released, then I would understand the criticism.
    Seriously the guys are doing a great job.

Great work UWE keep releasing the patches and progressing the idea of the game your still well ahead of duke nukem foreever on timelines :D
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    I like the sticky walking, but I LOVED jumping up walls!
    I hope there can be a comprimise of the 2.
  • VengZVengZ Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69556Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837692:date=Mar 18 2011, 03:43 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Mar 18 2011, 03:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you've got a forum worth of people who would be more than happy enough to test post-release patches/updates. Setting aside a couple nights of the week for 50 or so people to test new builds on your own servers is just a matter of asking us. Granted that it's done in moderation however.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Isnt that what we're already doing?
    We're testing the game (+patches) before release? ;P
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    - "ESC at menu should close it ACCEPTED" is not implemented yet

- I still get the double sound bug sometimes when fire rifle and pistol, this hasn't been fixed at all.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1837687:date=Mar 17 2011, 06:32 PM:name=neilm86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neilm86 @ Mar 17 2011, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not complaining, big fan of multipatch.

Does it cost money to publish patches through steam?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We don't have to pay anything to put a new patch on Steam, however it does take about 1/2 a day to a day for us to make and test a new patch, so there is a cost.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837667:date=Mar 18 2011, 02:34 AM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Mar 18 2011, 02:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837667"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Login.
    Check forums.
    Refresh.
    Build 169 released.
    Have heart attack.
    Post reply.

Nice update though, lots of the good stuff and very fast release!

Seems like only yesterday 168 was released... oh wait, it was!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, it 168 was released on tuesday, its friday now (or maybe 168 was released rly late thursday?). So not yesterday.

Why didnt you make any twitters about this? I nearly missed out on the fact that you patched, as I always look at right side of news for twitter posts, and if I see new ones I glance to the left. Only reason I discovered it now was because I thought it was odd that there was no big ytube thing in center of site.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1837820:date=Mar 18 2011, 02:31 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Mar 18 2011, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why didnt you make any twitters about this? I nearly missed out on the fact that you patched, as I always look at right side of news for twitter posts, and if I see new ones I glance to the left. Only reason I discovered it now was because I thought it was odd that there was no big ytube thing in center of site.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because they aren't required to?
  • ShepardShepard Join Date: 2011-03-16 Member: 86698Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837719:date=Mar 18 2011, 05:44 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Mar 18 2011, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played some games that ran really well and some games that were completely horrible in 168. A lot of it really does come down to the server. I think there are plenty of servers on the list that just don't have enough horsepower to run a decent game - I don't know if it's because NS2 requires an amazing server due to performance issues or because they're just crappy servers, but either way, I wish people wouldn't fill up servers that obviously aren't playing well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea.... I dont understand why everyone is playing on that ARMORY CHAMBER server...its crap... I even played on LISTEN-Servers that where performing better!
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1837830:date=Mar 18 2011, 01:37 PM:name=Shepard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shepard @ Mar 18 2011, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea.... I dont understand why everyone is playing on that ARMORY CHAMBER server...its crap... I even played on LISTEN-Servers that where performing better!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed, there are very few servers that actually run the game well, but when they run well, it's a very enjoyable experience. But even the best servers can get bogged down by hydras and DI.

I wish more servers would run Tram now. Performance has increased enough where Tram is playable now and it's 10x more balanced than Rockdown.