Question about the Gorge

radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">From someone without a computer capable of playing</div>So I'm building a PC in a few months that I hope will handle NS2. I preordered that day of, and I've not been able to play it once. I try everything I've seen, but the FPS is horrid. Still a WiP I presume, and I'm fine with anticipation.

However, I bide my time with NS2HD's videos. One thing I've noticed, is a lack of gorge play. With the AC dropping hives, sending builders for RT (harvester), and other buildings, what role does the gorge play? Is it a life-form relegated to a status of outdated? DI heals, gives Scent of Fear, and structures can only be built on it. With all that, what does the gorge do?

I may just be missing it somehow, but just wondering. I love dropping a chamber in a vent somewhere useful in NS, and being a forward harassment/deterrent/healing station.

Where's the gorge love?

Comments

• QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The Gorge's role is to crash servers by spamming hydras.

But seriously, the gorge is limited in usefulness right now. Heal spray on damaged hives/harvesters is about the only real use at the moment (which I think is a bit overpowered as the gorge can easily outheal the damage from 3+ marines. Limited hydra placement is also critical in the early game, but by the time GLs are out, they are worthless.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Gorges are amazing healbots right now, and hydras are decent speedbumps if placed on walls and such. Splotches of infestation are a bit underpowered, but can be handy for helping the comm place out-of-the-way harvesters that don't have DI nearby yet.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2011
    Splotches of infestation are actually really nice - since marines cant build on them... if you do it right(gets harder the more players are on the server) you can block some RTs until your alien comm catches the area with DI.

So you can lockdown marines to 1 or 2 rt for minimum 15-20min. even easier.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Have to be a gorge, though. Big juicy target.
    Still, I guess denying the marine team an entire RT for 2 minutes is a nice deal for 10 plasma...
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    and not be available to the alien-team while you're being that worthless sack of fat, not so nice a deal...

A gorge doubling as commander is okay, but a 100% dedicated gorge is just too much (at the moment). I suppose it depends on the size of your team as well...
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    DI doesn't heal so much as it enables the original natural regeneration of the aliens. Not on DI, they get no regen. It's still much quicker to go back to a hive or find a Crag. Though it is useful if you are trapped somewhere with low health, and can't risk a hive run.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    In time, Mr. Gorge will come to find his place.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837180:date=Mar 14 2011, 08:42 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Mar 14 2011, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In time, Mr. Gorge will come to find his place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope so. And when that times comes I hope this role is something like area denial and fortification. Playing gorge in NS1 was my favorite role. With the building of the DCs and OCs at nice choke point and establishing a front line. Fades, Skulks, the works, would go and hit double and while the fight ensued I would place OCs and DCs and MC (for the lerks mostly) just around a corner.

This was a very good dynamic for aliens teams in general. But now the gorge has no role in that as the commander is the one that build all the stuff. I would somehow want the gorge to become like a commander right hand or something. Maybe...

...allow it to spawn certain structures or drifters using player res.
    ...have the gorge be able to speedup construction with healspray
    ...do certain structure upgrades plasma instead of carbon.
    ...allowing gorge to spawn RTs with player res could be very interesting

I general I find the idea of the gorge being able to establish a bridge between player-res and team-res could be a great way to increase hiw importance and also allow more asymmetry between team.
  • PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1837209:date=Mar 14 2011, 09:50 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Mar 14 2011, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope so. And when that times comes I hope this role is something like area denial and fortification. Playing gorge in NS1 was my favorite role. With the building of the DCs and OCs at nice choke point and establishing a front line. Fades, Skulks, the works, would go and hit double and while the fight ensued I would place OCs and DCs and MC (for the lerks mostly) just around a corner.

This was a very good dynamic for aliens teams in general. But now the gorge has no role in that as the commander is the one that build all the stuff. I would somehow want the gorge to become like a commander right hand or something. Maybe...

...allow it to spawn certain structures or drifters using player res.
    ...have the gorge be able to speedup construction with healspray
    ...do certain structure upgrades plasma instead of carbon.
    ...allowing gorge to spawn RTs with player res could be very interesting

I general I find the idea of the gorge being able to establish a bridge between player-res and team-res could be a great way to increase hiw importance and also allow more asymmetry between team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. Gorges should be able to build more than Hydra. Like you said - maybe use their own resource for RT or maybe allow them to build "weaker" versions of the Crag, Shade, etc <i>(example - allow them to build the good old *Defense Chamber, or Movement Chamber which would simply provide their passive effects from NS1)</i>. Also allow the chambers to be built on walls too (sticky chambers).

*(I liked the DC, MC, SC, and OC, I wouldn't mind seeing them back even though it may be a bit redundant. Again maybe as possible weaker versions of the commander's respective structures that the gorge can build with their resources?)

While NS2 isn't NS1, I think the gorge should retain some of its role as a builder from NS1 since it was always fun to play as one.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited March 2011
    I would also like to see the Gorge to have a climbing ability.

In NS1 the Gorge had an ability called '+hook' that was sometimes installed onto the server. I allowed to Gorge to spit out a piece of web and get pulled towards where it hit. Kind of like a spider when it wants to go up.
    This would be useful for the gorge as it would prevent Hydra spam because people would be abled to create more 'Tactical' Hydras.
    When I go Gorge because I want to place some hydras I often climb up to the area as a skulk then evolve into gorge so I can place some hydras. Some areas I can't reach with the gorge and this is a problem. Please look into this UWE.

I too would also like to see a Gorge being abled to get abilities to create structres like Crags, and Resources Towers. RTs would be interesting.

Gorges actually do have quite a big role at the moment it is just the lack of players that make him a bit useless. When I am commander I often go Gorge and become a Dedicated Gorge for healing our First Harvester (Tram).

I would like it if ONLY Gorges could enter the Hive but then that would mean that Marines would get a slight advantage with this (Marine costs nothing > Gorge costs 10). I am not sure if they start with PRes at the moment but just giving the Aliens 10 starting PRes would be a good addition and would also make more Dedicated Gorges.

Gorge also needs to be abled to drop a 'Mini-Crag' to give him an offensive advantage as a mobile healer and also an Outpost maker. He also needs to do more damage with his move as he is useless for all things at the moment and even defending by himself. I wouldn't mind if he was a bit slower but did more damage enforcing him to be a defender.

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
    Too long; didn't read:<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<b><u>Basically I would like to see.
    </u></b>
    -Gorge Climbing ability
    -Gorge placing 'Crags of some sort'
    -Gorge placing Harvesters
    -Only gorges can enter the hive
    -Deal more damage with attacks
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1837180:date=Mar 15 2011, 08:42 AM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Mar 15 2011, 08:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In time, Mr. Gorge will come to find his place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ^

+1 for gorge wall-climb! He could technically be able to build anywhere, but he's the only alien (other than the onos) who's relatively immobile.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2011
    One thing I liked about the ns1 gorge was placing ocs but they were usually complained about if done too early. Now the fun in placing ocs has been enhanced by letting the gorge place hydras in larger quantity = more fun for the gorge. The issue is that this is all the gorge can create right now other than DI which I guess could be considered a structure but ya... It would be nice if the gorge could either place RTs with personal res (I thought this was also really fun in ns1) or like someone else had said a minicrag (or crag). It just needs something else to build because being able to is kind of pointless if there is practically no selection, and selection is part of this game's title.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Maybe allow Gorge to make a Babbler hive, which is essentially a biological proximity mine that bursts upon detecting Marines in range, and spawns several Babblers to distract enemies.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837258:date=Mar 15 2011, 06:45 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Mar 15 2011, 06:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe allow Gorge to make a Babbler hive, which is essentially a biological proximity mine that bursts upon detecting Marines in range, and spawns several Babblers to distract enemies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or instead of Babblers in these mines maybe:

The gorge could place this mines in Infestation and if they get walked over (Shouldn't be able to see them that well) then they explode and hit the marine with parasites. It would be good to prevent marines for trying to flank if you place down this little 'traps' so they parasite the marines.

I would really like to see that!
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    how about actually making gorge self heal come back.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1837295:date=Mar 15 2011, 04:21 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Mar 15 2011, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837295"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about actually making gorge self heal come back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

Or if this is to extreme then at least self extinguish.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'd love to see a gorge building-drop ability... I used to play Gorge 24/7 in NS (Though, that might be because I was c*** at all other aliens) and I loved sitting behind the front line, building supporting chambers.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Agreed. I love the gorge. Even now, still finding way that the little guy is useful.

On a side note, just ordered the equipment for my hackintosh, so I'm hoping quad core and 2GB 5870 will handle NS2...
  • CxwfCxwf Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13168Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1837414:date=Mar 16 2011, 04:56 PM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Mar 16 2011, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a side note, just ordered the equipment for my hackintosh, so I'm hoping quad core and 2GB 5870 will handle NS2...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I certainly hope it will -- but you should be aware that, for most people, whether or not the SERVER can handle ns2 is more important than whether or not YOU can handle ns2. Hopefully that will improve with more performance patches...

All im saying is, don't blame yourself if the game's still a bit choppy.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    w0op w0Op bilebombs ftw :p
    <!--quoteo(post=1837305:date=Mar 16 2011, 09:08 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 16 2011, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd love to see a gorge building-drop ability... I used to play Gorge 24/7 in NS (Though, that might be because I was c*** at all other aliens) and I loved sitting behind the front line, building supporting chambers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can think of only one swear word (which I use a lot) that starts with c and has four letters; but I've never seen it used as an adjective.
    I can think of at least three, two of which are kind of opposites and the third is fairly mild.
    Oh right I can think of two. Regardless, still nouns.
    "Crap".

<!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->best post ever<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Oh...
    That's not even a swear-word!