Debugging session startup delay

AxonAxon Join Date: 2008-10-17 Member: 65219Members
edited October 2008 in Decoda
Hi, i have a project which is heavily dependent on Lua scripts (~40% of logic is written in lua), there are about 50 lua script files. For the moment i am evaluating the trial version of Decoda, and everything seems fine except for one thing, the debugging session startup time is nearing 1.5 minutes, is it a normal behavior? (currently i have the QDE debugger connected to my project, may it be an issue? For the moment it is the only reason i am delaying money transfer to a Decoda developers =(. ) Thanks.

Comments

• MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1690604:date=Oct 16 2008, 10:56 PM:name=Axon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Axon @ Oct 16 2008, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1690604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi, i have a project which is heavily dependent on Lua scripts (~40% of logic is written in lua), there are about 50 lua script files. For the moment i am evaluating the trial version of Decoda, and everything seems fine except for one thing, the debugging session startup time is nearing 1.5 minutes, is it a normal behavior? (currently i have the QDE debugger connected to my project, may it be an issue? For the moment it is the only reason i am delaying money transfer to a Decoda developers =(. ) Thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There can be a little bit of a delay because of the way Decoda searches for the Lua functions in your project, but it shouldn't be anywhere near that long. Do you use a lot of DLLs?
  • AxonAxon Join Date: 2008-10-17 Member: 65219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1690647:date=Oct 17 2008, 08:51 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Max @ Oct 17 2008, 08:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1690647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There can be a little bit of a delay because of the way Decoda searches for the Lua functions in your project, but it shouldn't be anywhere near that long. Do you use a lot of DLLs?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, there is quite a lot of dlls in the project. Around 15 or so, i didn't think about the Decoda may search the dlls for lua function calls to =). Is there any way to exclude on or more dll from a debugging process?
  • beutelfuchsbeutelfuchs Join Date: 2011-02-28 Member: 83813Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1690942:date=Oct 21 2008, 10:29 AM:name=Axon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axon @ Oct 21 2008, 10:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1690942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep, there is quite a lot of dlls in the project. Around 15 or so, i didn't think about the Decoda may search the dlls for lua function calls to =). Is there any way to exclude on or more dll from a debugging process?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hello,

I experience the same issue. Attaching to my process takes ~2minutes. It does not depend on the number of machines. But My process links a lot of dll's, too.
    Decoda seems a very nice tool. If there would be anything which I could do against these delays I would be happy.

Regards
  • beef4beef4 Join Date: 2011-03-04 Member: 84654Members
    Hello,

The same issue here - attaching to my app takes about 2 minutes, and it's the main drawback, in fact resulting in the debugging being nearly impossible. The app is fairy large, but AFAIK nothing uncommon - dozen of dll-s, about 1M lines of code (from which Lua takes only the small portion, the rest is heavely templated c++). Unfortunately, this issue blocks me from buying Decoda for now, because its killer-feature (attached debugging) is unusable in my case :\ Any chance to see some improvements in this area?