Whip for the Marines

Pat (GER)Pat (GER) Join Date: 2010-12-13 Member: 75646Members
edited March 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Not organic of course ;)</div>I think it would be nice if the marines have an equivalent to the aliens whip.
my idea is a stucture like a aerial or a tesla coil that shots electric charge within a radius of 2 meters e.g.
what do you guys think?

Comments

• HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
  • Pat (GER)Pat (GER) Join Date: 2010-12-13 Member: 75646Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835637:date=Mar 2 2011, 04:29 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 2 2011, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ARC.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    WTF is ARC? :P
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It's the mobile siege cannon, which only attacks structures and is completely different from the Whip except for both having limited range... and being mobile. And I guess the whip will get Bombard for anti-structure attacks...

But right now they're not really similar, so I don't know what Harimau is getting at.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Ya ARC is going to be nothing like the whip. Marines do already have sentries but no strong close range attackers. This is probably due to aliens only really being effective up close. Maybe electrification will pop in at some point but otherwise I think the marines lack this type of structure for the sake of balance.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    hell no :) There is already enough stationary defense spam in this game, we don't need the most effective weapon in the marine arsenal to be a sentry gun with a tesla coil covering its ass
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Make marine structures electrical?
    WTH are you guys talking about?

that is ridiculous XD

Firstly, the Lerk can't really take down a sentry because it can't get behind it that well. The skulk and the fade are pretty much the only counters of killing them and they are close range. Make sentries good at covering its back and it is unfair. Keep it how it is.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1835651:date=Mar 2 2011, 05:37 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Mar 2 2011, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835651"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make marine structures electrical?
    WTH are you guys talking about?

that is ridiculous XD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was a feature in NS1, but I never really liked it as it seemed like an easy way to fix broken game play mechanics. That being, if one side is dominating you still need to lock down the whole level (slow/stalemate game play, which is occurring at the moment due to lack of the ARC and end game weapons) to finish things off.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Firstly, the Lerk can't really take down a sentry because it can't get behind it that well. The skulk and the fade are pretty much the only counters of killing them and they are close range. Make sentries good at covering its back and it is unfair. Keep it how it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Get better at the Lerk. Sentries can't fire upwards, and it is piss easy to get above them and spam. The only thing you have to worry about is a sneaky marine with a shotgun, or a flame thrower.

But even then, if you can fly effectively, you can pretty much get out of any situation. You just have to be wary of slow take off speeds - glide, unless you are in a big room.

It is one of the hardest classes to die as if you can use it well (support class).

I see too many videos of NS2HD playing the Lerk and dying needlessly :P Yes, you Hugh! ;) There is getting into the thick of things, and then there is sitting on the floor whilst a Marine shotguns you from 1m away, you shouldn't even be on the floor as a Lerk in those situations. More like a Bat in Ace Ventura's hair.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONUe58qtjjs"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONUe58qtjjs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    lerk spikes are currently broken, they make an arc when you shoot them. (they don't shoot in straight line)
    In many worse cases if lerk trying to shoot while he's inside the vent or ledge, he can't aim well because the spikes do not fire straight.

adding ARC at this point is overkill. marines already are overpowered at this stage, and aliens abilities are still nerfed badly compared to what they had in ns1.
    And mac stacking still hasn't been fixed, how hard is it to limit macs to certain number? was playing game last night, the commander had 20 macs, bitting through them all while he was building, I couldn't even kill them all. So, he finished building, and still had many macs left, and ordered them to go under the command center.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Why is anyone talking about Lerks in this thread?

And, Pat, WHY would "it be nice"? Niceness is not a factor I think any serious developer considers when brainstorming ideas. Sell us your vision, man.
    IMO, the last thing Marines need is an alien equivalent of anything, especially a melee-based anything. Aliens have the advantage in close combat. Marines are about range.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1835662:date=Mar 2 2011, 03:00 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Mar 2 2011, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lerk spikes are currently broken, they make an arc when you shoot them. (they don't shoot in straight line)
    In many worse cases if lerk trying to shoot while he's inside the vent or ledge, he can't aim well because the spikes do not fire straight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't played lerk recently to notice, but what you describe sounds to me like a lerk nerfing (i.e. spikes affected by gravity to make lerk less op). It could also be to introduce some asymmetric differences between marines and aliens, so it's not like the lerk is firing a silenced machine gun with near perfect "straight line" accuracy. And depending on how severe the spike-drop is, it could also be about forcing the lerk to shoot from a closer distance to the marines (to make the lerk more vulnerable to the marines predominantly close range weapons). I mean seriously the lerk had infinite range + sniper zoom... (not even the pistol has sniper-zoom mode :D).

<!--quoteo(post=1835636:date=Mar 2 2011, 10:26 AM:name=Pat (GER))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat (GER) @ Mar 2 2011, 10:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it would be nice if the marines have an equivalent to the aliens whip.
    my idea is a stucture like a <u>aerial</u> or a tesla coil that shots electric charge within a radius of 2 meters e.g.
    what do you guys think?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 alien-swarm-tesla-trap-mines for marines :P

Also i think it's about time the mac had some offensive capabilities >:P
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835664:date=Mar 2 2011, 03:08 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Mar 2 2011, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMO, the last thing Marines need is an alien equivalent of anything, especially a melee-based anything. Aliens have the advantage in close combat. Marines are about range.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, this idea sounds to symetrical to the alien's whip. As mentioned already, the ARC is the marine version of the whip.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    I really can't think of another marine structure i could ask for. Maybe some minor changes to some.. but adding anything else seems uncessary.

Biggest disadvantages to the Lerk right now is the way the maps are made, your often vulnerable, don't have high vantage points, or large rooms to fight in. The attacks are fine as they are right now. No need for balancing at the moment
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Theres already a lot of grumbles about making the two teams too similiar ( Alien Comm , Drifter/MAC , same res models ), remember the aim is for the Alien and Marine to be different playing teams but equal in overall ability to win.
    Should be carefull when calling for like-for-like abilities/equipment, or we will get like-for-like teams.

... sides, it isnt like the Whip is a really powefull weapon.
    The current whip is only usefull for catching near dead marines without an attentive comm or a completely ignorant players who dont realise what is happening.
    To counter a whip you just need to run past its effective range , or blow it to hell with close shotgun blasts ... a attentive comm can ensure you get your HP back.
    Now the ARC on the other hand , versus buildings , is like a siege tank in SC ... march the buggers into range and watch the enemy buildings go boom ( or splatter ).
    Lol. It was more that:
    Both are static defenses, and require 'setting up' in order to attack.
    Both can be 'uprooted', and move to another location.
    Marines also have one more: The Exo.
  • Pat (GER)Pat (GER) Join Date: 2010-12-13 Member: 75646Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835767:date=Mar 3 2011, 02:10 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 3 2011, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines also have one more: The Exo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and aliens the onos...
    What. No. Onos is gonna just charge through [everything], not lock down and attack.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835662:date=Mar 2 2011, 12:00 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Mar 2 2011, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lerk spikes are currently broken, they make an arc when you shoot them. (they don't shoot in straight line)
    In many worse cases if lerk trying to shoot while he's inside the vent or ledge, he can't aim well because the spikes do not fire straight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kinda intentional so the Lerk can't sit down a hall and snipe.

Also, Marines have regular turrets and the ARC coming up. Don't really need something to randomly hit things.

Now, bringing back in electrification would be interesting, but that's a more defensive deal just for the building and not the room.
    ROFL "broken". Hahahaha. Wow. <b>luns</b> has massively selective reading.

It used to shoot straight - people suggested nerfing it by adding a spread. Instead, the devs decided on bullet drop instead.
    You can't hit? The solution? Aim higher, fool.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1835898:date=Mar 4 2011, 12:46 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 4 2011, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ROFL "broken". Hahahaha. Wow. <b>luns</b> has massively selective reading.

It used to shoot straight - people suggested nerfing it by adding a spread. Instead, the devs decided on bullet drop instead.
    You can't hit? The solution? Aim higher, fool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Arcing shots can also be an advantage - hop on top of something big and shoot over the edge at guys below you~ :D
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited March 2011
    The marines should to have an equavilent to the Alien's Whip.

Marines are ranged = Aliens are close-combat

That is the rule of NS!!

The only problem I have with the lerk is that the bullets don't fire from you. Instead they fire very close to the floor and often when I am trying to hit someone who is lower than me but I have them in my cursor is that they hit the floor right in front of me :/
    Very annoying.

Other than that Lerk is fine.

Just to add; this thread should perhaps be in the I&S page.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    I got to say i love the idea of a tesla coil weapon, it could stun aliens and make them fall to the ground for a second or two while doing a bit of damage, as long as it can't be abused like multiple turrets, only allowing one in a given area, they could even have a weak hand held version.

The game should definitely have a bit more variety when it comes to base building and stuff, aliens seem to have plenty so i think marines should get a few more toys as well!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Stuns... Really?

Also ARC is going to be the nemesis in terms of anti building... Siege Kaboom vs Bombard Splash
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    At first when I read this thread title I though of a marine running around with an actual cattle whip, rounding up Onoses... Onii.... What is the plural of Onos anyway. What am I talking about.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1836018:date=Mar 4 2011, 04:49 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 4 2011, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->rounding up Onoses... Onii.... What is the plural of Onos anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See sig