Development Blog Update - NS2 Build 166 released

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - NS2 Build 166 released here

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Thanks for the patch! Looking forward to those 'big' changes :)
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Nice patch! Small changelog though, what are you hiding? :P
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2011
    That was a quick patch!

I noticed some undocumented changes.

* Marines can pick up Primary weapons from the ground now.

* The Rifle now costs 10 res, Pistol costs 5, and the axe also costs 5. (I guess that's for preventing "rifle spam" lagging the server)

* Starting Personal Res is now 0.

* The Whip causes massive lag when walking (uprooted), this was tested on a local server.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Still get the sound bug with 166, but guess it's not supposed to be fixed as I didn't see it in the changelog.

Map light halos are visible in west hive on Rockdown (they are supposed to be invisible to the player, but I can see them, and it's very distracting).
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1835569:date=Mar 1 2011, 10:18 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Mar 1 2011, 10:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still get the sound bug with 166, but guess it's not supposed to be fixed as I didn't see it in the changelog.

Map light halos are visible in west hive on Rockdown (they are supposed to be invisible to the player, but I can see them, and it's very distracting).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, the sound bug is tricky. We are still working on that one.

I believe the light halos are supposed to be visible. Does it look wrong to you? Can you post a screen shot?
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1835573:date=Mar 1 2011, 11:52 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Mar 1 2011, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe the light halos are supposed to be visible. Does it look wrong to you? Can you post a screen shot?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess it was just a loading bug. I occasionally load a map (usually rockdown) with incomplete textures. Certain walls don't have textures, and I guess the same bug drew the map lighting as well. The second time I loaded Rockdown I couldn't see any of that and it looked fine.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited March 2011
    sound bug is still here, but good to see many bugs being fixed. I wish they fixed gorge movement, being rooted into the floor each time I want to build anything isn't fun at all. (since its my second fav class, i want to see it top of the list, lol)
    <!--quoteo(post=1835577:date=Mar 2 2011, 12:31 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Mar 2 2011, 12:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sound bug is still here, but good to see many bugs being fixed. I wish they fixed gorge movement, being rooted into the floor each time I want to build anything isn't fun at all. (since its my second fav class, i want to see it top of the list, lol)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The gorge movement while building is a feature. I like it actually. Things actually are placed where you want, and you can't spam 20 hydras in marine start while jumping and sliding around the whole time.
  • ThyReaperThyReaper Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58621Members
    I just got the sound bug myself, and it reminded me of a bug I encountered in our own game. Turned out that an invalid position/velocity (QNaN or infinity as one of the vector dimensions) was being passed to one of the sounds, which prevented all sounds from playing as long as the sound was marked as playing. Just a thought, hope you guys can figure it out soon, I know how much of a pain this sort of thing is.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Was expecting this post very shortly.. Steam went ahead and updated to 166 without any word until now :)

Thanks for the patch
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    seeems really good performance wise.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Had a server crash (no message). Wasnt in the server myself, but was told about it. Console screen just said problem and had to close, only had about 4 people in the server.

Anyone experience anything similar?
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm still getting memory leaks on the armory. Just tried buying a FT, and crashed.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    My sound looping issues are solved. :D
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Sweet, can't wait to get home and play it. Thanks guys!
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Besides the ever present sound bug, i noticed that when your're dead that team chat appears to not have a "(Team)" tag... it's hard to tell if its in all talk or not.

Btw we just played the unknown worlds server into the ground with like a 2-4 hour game (not sure of time). Scoreboard is crashed also. May want to collect logs if you save em. :P
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1835566:date=Mar 2 2011, 05:10 AM:name=saltybp53)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (saltybp53 @ Mar 2 2011, 05:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835566"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice patch! Small changelog though, what are you hiding? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Max has been working on some backend lua engine optimisations that will hopefully help out a lot, he posts occasional updates to his twitter feed: <a href="https://twitter.com/#!/max_mcguire" target="_blank">https://twitter.com/#!/max_mcguire</a>
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835603:date=Mar 2 2011, 06:04 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 2 2011, 06:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sweet, can't wait to get home and play it. Thanks guys!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Double post.... an hour apart?!
  • VanillamarineVanillamarine Join Date: 2009-10-17 Member: 69068Members
    Noticeable performance increase and less laggy gameplay. Melee combat with skulks is still a pain in the arse, however shots seem to register appropriately now. Great patch, its semi-playable right now if you have a good machine. Please keep these optimizations coming so I can refer NS2 to my friends, thanks.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2011
    It's really nice to see patches coming out so quickly these days. Ordered parts for a new pc the other day. Expecting it this weekend. Then there will be building and finally I will be able to play NS2!! :D
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1835611:date=Mar 2 2011, 04:06 AM:name=Vanillamarine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vanillamarine @ Mar 2 2011, 04:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Noticeable performance increase and less laggy gameplay. Melee combat with skulks is still a pain in the arse, however shots seem to register appropriately now. Great patch, its semi-playable right now if you have a good machine. Please keep these optimizations coming so I can refer NS2 to my friends, thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree that Skulk vs Marine combat needs reassessment. Even with dark vision, it can be frustratingly difficult to keep track of jumping marines in melee range. One wrong prediction and the marine could gain 5 units (meters?) extra range, which usually results in death for the Skulk.
  • VanillamarineVanillamarine Join Date: 2009-10-17 Member: 69068Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835613:date=Mar 2 2011, 02:22 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Mar 2 2011, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree that Skulk vs Marine combat needs reassessment. Even with dark vision, it can be frustratingly difficult to keep track of jumping marines in melee range. One wrong prediction and the marine could gain 5 units (meters?) extra range, which usually results in death for the Skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. Melee combat is currently way in favor of the aliens simply because of bad FPS and hit detection. That got somewhat better with 166 but it is still kilometers away from a real competitive point of view.
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1835618:date=Mar 2 2011, 04:58 AM:name=Vanillamarine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vanillamarine @ Mar 2 2011, 04:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. Melee combat is currently way in favor of the aliens simply because of bad FPS and hit detection. That got somewhat better with 166 but it is still kilometers away from a real competitive point of view.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe <b>endar</b> would beg to differ, with his beast of a server. There was very little lag just prior to patch 163. Once the DI is more optimized, the state of game balance will become clearer.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835618:date=Mar 2 2011, 01:58 PM:name=Vanillamarine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vanillamarine @ Mar 2 2011, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. Melee combat is currently way in favor of the aliens simply because of bad FPS and hit detection. That got somewhat better with 166 but it is still kilometers away from a real competitive point of view.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would beg to differ when it concerns marines and shotguns. Those one\two-shot-kill weapons depend on client-side prediction, and thus don't suffer as much from a bad tick-rate as alien-melee does (that and it's still pretty ###### hard to kill a sprinting marine from behind).
  • SpaZSpaZ Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17256Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835627:date=Mar 2 2011, 09:53 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 2 2011, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would beg to differ when it concerns marines and shotguns. Those one\two-shot-kill weapons depend on client-side prediction, and thus don't suffer as much from a bad tick-rate as alien-melee does (that and it's still pretty ###### hard to kill a sprinting marine from behind).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha thats actually pretty funny when a marine almost out runs a skulk :D First time I saw a marine try to pull that getaway stunt on me I was like WHOAA look at him go! :DD Of course I dug my teeth in to his posterior after few corners. :)
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1835613:date=Mar 2 2011, 07:22 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Mar 2 2011, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree that Skulk vs Marine combat needs reassessment. Even with dark vision, it can be frustratingly difficult to keep track of jumping marines in melee range. One wrong prediction and the marine could gain 5 units (meters?) extra range, which usually results in death for the Skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nerf jumping. two jumps and you're too tired to jump a third time.
    edited March 2011
    Or reduce jump height with successive consecutive jumps.

e.g. one implementation i can imagine
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->DefaultJumpHeight = 2 // maximum jump height, in units
    JumpRecoveryTime = 2 // recovery time, in seconds
    a = 1 // arbitrary
    b = 1 // arbitrary
    // initially:
    CurrentJumpHeight = DefaultJumpHeight
    ... [jump] ...
    TimeSinceLastJump = SomeFunction() // cap at JumpRecoveryTime
    CurrentJumpHeight = DefaultJumpHeight*(a+TimeSinceLastJump)/(b+JumpRecoveryTime) // this floors jump to 1/3 maximum jump height using a = 1, b = 1<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    not very imaginative, and current jump height is not dependent on the previous jump's height as I would like, but instead dependent on: time since the last jump and the maximum jump height
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    So wait the solution to the unnecessary nerfing of skulk movement would be to now nerf the marine more?! (I mean I can already walk faster than it can backwards)

Lets fix the skulk not continue to cripple the marine...
    Shrug. Some people just don't like bounciness on non-female marines, is what I'm saying.
  • meetjackmeetjack Join Date: 2011-01-30 Member: 79677Members
    One word for the update : Fast!!!!

And I like Harimau's idea, jump less each time, till 4 jumps and ya have to wait or something. I could imagine a marine jumping back once or twice to avoid a skulks chomp but the way they bounce all over the place when its skulk v marine time is a bit unrealistic.

Thanks for the update guys, I can't wait till tomorrow when its a resonable hour and theres a few aussie players on the servers...