Climb buildings

SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
edited February 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">for skulks</div>Search didn't turn up anything related.

Something that was quite useful in NS1 was the ability to climb buildings as skulk and position yourself so marines could not shoot you without flanking it. This was especially useful with RTs, considering their spider legged design, until marines research grenades at least.

In NS2 I feel hampered in my movement when running around in marine spawn while the buildings are just big anti-climb blocks. I suggest a reintroduction of it.

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I like it. It would make the Skulk less predictable (and a lot cooler). Why walk around the command station, when I can climb over it?
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    I approve. Could be interesting in combination with optional friendly fire, btw.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1

I like standing on the comstation waiting for the commander to get out and bite him in the head.
    And so I don't have to to the wall climbing to get on top of the commandstation
  • BuzzouBuzzou Join Date: 2006-12-14 Member: 59056Members, Constellation
    +1 as well

and not just for aliens, marines should be able to jump on alien structures (and marine structures) if the structure's total height is low enough to do so.

i can't remember how many times in NS1 we used a 10res armory to boost us into a vent before jetpacks were researched... simple little things like that created a much more dynamic gameplay environment.

mines were also awesome for that, but the reality of a human standing on a tiny mine ladder to get to a previously unreachable spot felt like i was cheating physics when i did it.....

but yeah, aliens should definately be able to climb up marine structures, i felt robbed when i tried it in NS2 and it wouldn't work
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    Jumping on Marine structures is absolutely fine. I see no alien structure, however, that looks like you could jump and actually stand on (apart from eggs, maybe). They're all quite small-scale, slippery, and - most important - alive. You'd fall off them within the blink of an eye.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1834106:date=Feb 21 2011, 07:20 AM:name=TAPETRVE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TAPETRVE @ Feb 21 2011, 07:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834106"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jumping on Marine structures is absolutely fine. I see no alien structure, however, that looks like you could jump and actually stand on (apart from eggs, maybe). They're all quite small-scale, slippery, and - most important - alive. You'd fall off them within the blink of an eye.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...or it will just throw you off.

(If I were a crag I would not allow marines to stand on me)
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    +1 for this idea.

Also, the marines somehow managed to build an infantry portal on top of the Command Station and it was very hard to kill it.

Obviously, being abled to build on the Command Station will be fixed but..

I liked being abled to climb on buildings. It allowed skulks to be more effective when trying to get the last few hits on the building and a marine is shooting them.
  • BuzzouBuzzou Join Date: 2006-12-14 Member: 59056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1834106:date=Feb 21 2011, 03:20 PM:name=TAPETRVE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TAPETRVE @ Feb 21 2011, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834106"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jumping on Marine structures is absolutely fine. I see no alien structure, however, that looks like you could jump and actually stand on (apart from eggs, maybe). They're all quite small-scale, slippery, and - most important - alive. You'd fall off them within the blink of an eye.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

a valid point

<!--quoteo(post=1834114:date=Feb 21 2011, 03:47 PM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Feb 21 2011, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...or it will just throw you off.

(If I were a crag I would not allow marines to stand on me)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

another valid point.

sorry i was just thinking of the good times when you could use the enemies structures to your advantage, but even if you could get away with it in NS1, it would seem unrealistic for a marine to climb on an alien structure in NS2... as you say they are much more slippery looking, and much more ALIVE.

but at least a gorge could use a crag to jump into a vent, the same way they used a DC to boost in NS1???