Using the spark engine make a new game?

louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
<div class="IPBDescription">im not sure just something that i was thinking about.</div>What if we do someting in the style of "ns2" with the spark engine... but like alienswarm?

Dont know what alien swarm is and or played it? go see here: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldFzzVq4lc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldFzzVq4lc</a>

Alien swarm is 100% free on steam, download it right now and try it out if you want, it runs on the source engine.

I think a "over head" look down view game like that would be awesome.

just speculating ideas, thats all.

please comment and tell me what do you think about a kind of game like this but even better and with larger depth.

Comments

• PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Nice idea but this will just be ignored at the moment because this is not important to the game at all. Maybe they will think about this at a later time. Perhaps around the time NS2 is released.

I think you posted this at the wrong time.

Other than that, cool idea.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2011
    I don't get it. Are you saying you want to mod this in yourself? If so, I'm sure you can do it already. Seems to be just a matter of changing the input, targeting mechanisms and view. Just requires a bit of know-how. Better get crackin'!
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    The cool thing about Alienswarm is that it was made by a few college kids wasn't it?
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    well im just spitting this out there.

just to fill some ideas in people's heads if they need it (UWE people)

but you have to admit, alien swarm is amazing as a game idea.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Amazing except that it crashes my computer every time I try to run it...
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, weird. Two of my friends could never get it to run. Only one of my friends could get it to run. Funny thing is, that friend who could run it had the exact same laptop (bought on the exact same day at the exact same store) as another friend who couldn't run it.
    I got many hours of fun out of it though. Shame I couldn't share it more though.

It's a novel (and fun!) game concept though definitely, not something I imagine UWE will want to tackle themselves though. Unless, post-1.0 they're wanting to do something small with the Spark engine, they could create an NS2-flavoured alien swarm clone.