Dynamic Infestation has a pulse

peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
<div class="IPBDescription">(it's alive!)</div>Since the new build (beta 163) alien structures can only be built on patches of dynamic infestation. Patches of infestation not connected to the hive will start to wither away. This presents a problem: how to quickly know which patches are connected and which arent?

Solution - <b>Hive Pulse</b>

The Hive Pulse is sent out by the hive every 5 seconds to the adjacent patches of infestation causes them to glow for a moment, then the pulse quickly passes on to the next patch of infestation and so on. The patches which are not connected will therefore remain dull and it will be clear to gorges and commander that these bits should be reconnected.

Comments

• rhezrhez Join Date: 2005-05-14 Member: 51576Members, Constellation
    This sounds good, eventually I hope they have thicker tentacles that stand out against the DI that lead to the hive (once it uses normal-mapping).
  • Frèman_ScumFrèman_Scum Join Date: 2009-09-07 Member: 68716Members
    yes it is amazing but I think I might make this easier for gorges to heal Hive and Buildings..... ""don't think this is op but it may be .... any chance that <u>Gorges</u> can walk on walls and ceiling <u><b>"Only"</b></u> where <b>dynamic infestation</b> is present?""
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    Are you serious? That's like having a hippo climb a tree :D .
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    What does it have to do with this topic ¬.¬
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    Idea itself ain't half bad, but instead of a sonar-like pulse, I'd prefer the infestation trail itself to pulsate, you know, like arteries coming from a heart, whereas unconnected patches remain still.
    Yea that would be clearer if the whole connected part pulsated at the same time rather than a wave type pulse. You could instantly tell which parts are alive.
  • RavenessRaveness Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60229Members
    It makes me think of Code Lyoko is the best similarity i can think of. Whenever a "tower" in the show was activated, a pulsation of sorts would be sent out.

There are a variety of things that could be added as well. If enough infestation is present, and a hive is under attack, maybe the pulsations (If still connected) Change to a red color and show the fastest <corridor> path to get to the hive.

On each pulsation as well, maybe heal any buildings on connected patches, instead of natural building regeneration, have a % amount or flat amount on every pulse.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited February 2011
    Not to be smug buuuut....

Bacteria don't have a pulse.
    And pulsing usually requires liquid, which I'm not seeing...

I'll grab my coat
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1 for the unconnected DI visual indicator.

However, I'd rather have it change color a bit. For example, make connected DI a more reddish color and unconnected DI more black.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Wouldn't it be easier to see the unconnected parts light up instead of every connected DI light up? Bringing attention to the trouble areas instead of trying to follow this "pulse"
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Personally I'd prefer the little lights in the DI to simply turn off when it isn't connected to a hive.
    <!--quoteo(post=1832991:date=Feb 17 2011, 11:57 PM:name=BarerRudeROC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BarerRudeROC @ Feb 17 2011, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to be smug buuuut....

Bacteria don't have a pulse.
    And pulsing usually requires liquid, which I'm not seeing...

I'll grab my coat<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't have to take everything so literally. Who knows what the infestation is, and why shouldn't it light up or pulse? If you don't like the idea why not suggest something else :P

After actually playing 163 it's even more important than I imagined to have this kind of indicator because the DI looks so patchy and confusing.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Personally, something like when Alien Vision is on the DI is color-coded would be more helpful imo. Simpler too.

Even better if the Alien Comm can turn on Alien Vision while in the chair.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    When I saw this thread I thought of a vien that runs through the DI and the beats every 5 seconds like a vien or artiery.

Maybe from the commander's view the DI can glow telling them that it is connected but in FPS view I think a vien that connects up through it and that beating is cool. It adds atmosphere and creepyness.