Console and Demo record

DeTeNaDeTeNa Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75751Members
edited February 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">a modest request to the developers :P</div><b>Hey guys,
i hope that there will be a <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->console command<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> for recording demos soon.
I can't wait to edit some really nice stuff...
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Demo recording<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> is also useful for leagues and other stuff.
So i hope i will get an answer and hope that you will add this in the next updates.
Mhh i think it was easier in <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->NS1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> because of the <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->HL-Engine<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> but you guys are
awesome and i think that it's not that difficult to write a code to record demos...
Please hurry i can't wait :P :D

Greetz

DeTeNa</b>

Comments

• PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2011
    why not just using Fraps or other Programms?
    <b>The</b> Spark engine is way diffrent to the HL Engine.
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    Demo recording is a planned feature down the road, but I guess it's unlikely to go into the game anytime soon.
  • DeTeNaDeTeNa Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75751Members
    Fraps is almost useless because of the fps drops....it's so laggy if you play while you're recording....that's no fun....15 to 20 fps and my computer is very good...i can use fraps when i've finished recording and replay the video in demomode. everything else is senseless...
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    Demo function?

I think a function like CoD Black Ops has it would be very usefull... (it replays the whole game and you are able to switch between players, views etc) I dont really see the need for an ingame fraps clone, since it can only record your own computer screen.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    so you mean like hltv?

that would be a bad solution, because this means

)the server sends you EVERYthing what happens this causes
    )more traffic load
    )easy 2 abuse @cheating

and as long as they want to stick with VAC (PUKE!) this would be a slap in the face of
    every modding team who wants to develop competitive games.

as long as the client simply does not KNOW what it doesn t have to know,
    this data cant get abused.

thumps up for a spark tv server, but this should be done by the community.
    (i will start a thread in the modding forum for this)
  • DeTeNaDeTeNa Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75751Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont really see the need for an ingame fraps clone<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i posted it before.....you will need it for the most leagues and i think it's more a source or hl1 engine demo clone than fraps....
    That would be VERY useful!!!! this function in cod BO sucks hard and i think something like that would be totally useless!!!
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->)as long as the client simply does not KNOW what it doesn t have to know,
    this data cant get abused.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Isnt it possible that this data is only stored by the server and lets you(client) download/save it after a match? So the server saves the last 1-2 matches and overwrites with newer ones... etc.
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1832359:date=Feb 15 2011, 02:56 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Feb 15 2011, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isnt it possible that this data is only stored by the server and lets you download/save it after a match? So it saves the last 1-2 matches and overwrites with newer ones... etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cube2 engine got this feature in it (dl AssaultCube(40mb freeware shooter) to test this feature)

every server stores a hltv like demo and there is a
    menu point where you can list and download all demos
    stored on the server.

i made a own thread for a hltv like proxy at: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112742" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=112742</a>
    lets gather features and discuss around it :)

i think this is a very important feature,
    because it is necessary for esport titles
    to have something like this.

remember thousands of players looking to the cpl matches live!
    <a href="http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8728/skvseyend3.jpg" target="_blank">http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8728/skvseyend3.jpg</a>

what a feeling, think about being the official commentator and
    the counter does not stop ticking upwards :)

a local demo function is nothing to discuss about,
    they cant ship without *cross fingers*
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    As I understand it a goldsrc demo is just all the network traffic dumped to a file. When you're replaying the demo you start a local server and feed the stored data straight into it.

Fraps and its ilk store bitmaps from the framebuffer and put them into a file. They take what you see on the screen and put the images into a movie. This is <b>not</b> a demo.

Demo functionality is nothing like fraps and cannot be really be replaced by using fraps since fraps only records a single perspective, as it occured during the game. Replayers cannot zoom around the map and see what else was happening.

That said, I hope like burgery that demos find their way into the game sooner rather than later, as it's a big factor in the pro scene. Just look at the starcraft community.

--Scythe--
    pros hate demos and replays abnormal
    because you can study what they worked
    out in hours and hours.

pro demos reminds me of:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhM31EG__U#t=0m22s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhM31EG__U#t=0m22s</a>
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1832346:date=Feb 15 2011, 05:02 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Feb 15 2011, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Demo function?

I think a function like CoD Black Ops has it would be very usefull... (it replays the whole game and you are able to switch between players, views etc) I dont really see the need for an ingame fraps clone, since it can only record your own computer screen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

Source Demo Recorder is better than a screen capture program like FRAPS (i.e. you can get high quality videos even with cheap hardware). However, its still limited by the viewpoint of the player making the demo. I'd rather have a demo recorder capture the viewpoint of all players (including spectators) and allow you to switch between them during playback.

It would also be nice to have something like Source Demo Recorder's camera functionality, where you can make preset paths for the camera (like the beginning shots in L4D2 campaigns).
  • RahabibRahabib Join Date: 2004-01-22 Member: 25595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832384:date=Feb 15 2011, 11:46 AM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Feb 15 2011, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->pros hate demos and replays abnormal
    because you can study what they worked
    out in hours and hours.

pro demos reminds me of:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhM31EG__U#t=0m22s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhM31EG__U#t=0m22s</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

whaaaa??? They are necessity for leagues. Telling everyone to run fraps is a sure way to make sure it will never see competitive daylight.
    <!--quoteo(post=1832444:date=Feb 15 2011, 10:07 PM:name=Rahabib)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rahabib @ Feb 15 2011, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->whaaaa??? They are necessity for leagues. Telling everyone to run fraps is a sure way to make sure it will never see competitive daylight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

100% agree
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1832339:date=Feb 15 2011, 01:20 PM:name=DeTeNa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeTeNa @ Feb 15 2011, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think that it's not that difficult to write a code to record demos...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Justify yourself :)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I've been contemplating doing this for a while now, but I'm still trying to figure out a proper way to do it. Fraps or similar recording software has the downside of doing your FPS in, as well as only recording what but 1 player sees. Demo recording as implemented in Gldsrc\Source relies on replicating the server-client traffic, major downside here is that it has the tedency to break when the demo is run on a different version of the game.

This leaves us with a strictly server-side recording of the game in absolute form (player positions, building placement et cetera). Trying to force the recorded data back onto the client from the server when trying to view the demo will result in very nasty-rubberbanding, as the client is oblivious as to what is supposed to happen next, and in fact is 1 step behind the server (while normally the client is ahead). Aside from movement, it will also be tricky to replicate the animation as smoothly as when the player first saw it.

At the end of the day I would be betting my money on the latter-method I just described, but attempting to pull it off will require significant knowledge regarding every facet of the game, and would be outright insane to do right now (with the many changes the game is subject to at the moment).

So replying to DeTeNa\CoolCookieCooks, if you do a very botched way of demo'ing, it might not be too hard to do, but a proper demo it won't be.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    The only way I see this being possible without internal (C/Engine) level changes is creating a Lua bound module that writes out a cinematic file. This would destroy performance seeing as all the entities would need to be "parsed" every X ticks. Also, you'd have to do some serious prep in order to achieve all of the lighting, FX, etc. It's just not feasible through a mod. We'll have to wait until Max has the time to make this happen. Honestly, I wouldn't expect this to get implemented until after v1.0 release.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Remember kids, use bold and color text responsibly!

Also, bug WeGame to support NS2 if it's just video recording you want. It'll save UWE some work, and give you much nicer tools that blow the old HL stuff out of the water. For fancier source demos, I think we'll have to wait awhile.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1832488:date=Feb 15 2011, 03:02 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Feb 15 2011, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832488"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been contemplating doing this for a while now, but I'm still trying to figure out a proper way to do it. Fraps or similar recording software has the downside of doing your FPS in, as well as only recording what but 1 player sees. Demo recording as implemented in Gldsrc\Source relies on replicating the server-client traffic, major downside here is that it has the tedency to break when the demo is run on a different version of the game.

This leaves us with a strictly server-side recording of the game in absolute form (player positions, building placement et cetera). Trying to force the recorded data back onto the client from the server when trying to view the demo will result in very nasty-rubberbanding, as the client is oblivious as to what is supposed to happen next, and in fact is 1 step behind the server (while normally the client is ahead). Aside from movement, it will also be tricky to replicate the animation as smoothly as when the player first saw it.

At the end of the day I would be betting my money on the latter-method I just described, but attempting to pull it off will require significant knowledge regarding every facet of the game, and would be outright insane to do right now (with the many changes the game is subject to at the moment).

So replying to DeTeNa\CoolCookieCooks, if you do a very botched way of demo'ing, it might not be too hard to do, but a proper demo it won't be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Could you have it where the server records a demo of every match and then the client can download the demo file (if they choose) at the end? Something like the server records the current match data, allows the player to download the demo anytime during the next match, and then deletes the demo file at the end of the next match (or when all clients who are downloading the file are finished), so you would only have to store 2-3 demo files at any given time.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1832502:date=Feb 16 2011, 12:13 AM:name=WatchMaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WatchMaker @ Feb 16 2011, 12:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remember kids, use bold and color text responsibly!

Also, bug WeGame to support NS2 if it's just video recording you want. It'll save UWE some work, and give you much nicer tools that blow the old HL stuff out of the water. For fancier source demos, I think we'll have to wait awhile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tried it a while back and found out it doesn't work, messaged their moderator Energyone. He said he send it trough to the WeGame devs. Isn't KFDM a be a big kahuna on there as well (website related stuffs)
  • TidomannTidomann Join Date: 2011-01-18 Member: 78041Members
    Frap is nice, but dropping an extra 10 frames really hampers gameplay. It's great to show things off, but if you want good high level gameplay you have to find a way without the cost being your fps. If the other suggestions here work that would be great- but down the line as mentioned I really hope it's implemented.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832532:date=Feb 16 2011, 03:45 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Feb 16 2011, 03:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could you have it where the server records a demo of every match and then the client can download the demo file (if they choose) at the end? Something like the server records the current match data, allows the player to download the demo anytime during the next match, and then deletes the demo file at the end of the next match (or when all clients who are downloading the file are finished), so you would only have to store 2-3 demo files at any given time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or upload it to an FTP, or publish it via an internal HTTP-server, et cetera. Such things are quite trivial. The real question is what kind of a demo people are most interested in, while also accepting it's individual drawbacks.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it was said long ago that we could record matches and view them in the Cinematic Editor, which would be a great thing to have for camera angles and what not.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Demos are actually something that's quite time consuming to get correct. At this point I'd rather they spent their time getting the engine working for normal play. Demos aren't in any way necessary during the beta.

Look at it this way: Any time there's a network protocol change it will most likely break any old demos. Network protocol changes happen fairly frequently in the beta.