Internet Explorer 9 RC.

DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can't Comm.England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Also, dual-monitors. (Usage, programs, gaming?)</div>2 Quick thoughts:

1: Anyone using the Internet Explorer 9 RC? How is it? Does it add any background services?

2: I've just setup another monitor, any recommended programs for dual-monitor fun? If I want my gaming to take up both displays do I have to alter something with each individual game or is something I have to change in the nVIDIA control panel?

Thanks.

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    As far as dual monitor usage goes, on general term use UltraMon. Add yourself an additional taskbar for easier program management.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I use display fusion.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    Tilt one monitor 90' (pivot view) and read documents as a whole.

Aquasnap is also a must with a dual monitor setup, because it also the win7 snap feature at the center edge of your monitors.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Ultramon is a definite must-have; really have to wonder how MS missed out on the functionality provided.

IE... well. The only people I know who use it, only do when a badly-coded website requires it for work. They've missed their chance with me; Firefox and Chrome handle everything I need. Though if they steal Chrome and call it IE (as with the Google/Bing fiasco), it might actually be usable and at least semi-secure.

I'd not bother with a vertical widescreen monitor unless you go through a LOT of legal-size documents.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I think vertical widescreen can be useful for artworking too.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Don't they have awesome Wacom Cintiqs for that bigscreen drawing stuffs. I just use the winXp built-in dualscreenage nothing more...

<i>Btw just a side note, I have a the successor to Cory's Intuos3 on my desk here. Just too bad I canae draw to save my life. I never get any further then photoshopping stuffs into awesome things and drawing silly cartoons :P</i>
    Yeah but if you're on a budget or don't want to blow a wad of money on one of those things because you're not a pro, a cheap option is a write pad + nice vertical screen =]
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1831509:date=Feb 11 2011, 08:36 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 11 2011, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think vertical widescreen can be useful for artworking too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->And hardcore programmers.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Not to mention stock exchange guys
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    And people watching movies while lying sideways in their beds.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    I've been using IE9 beta, and I like it. More space for the actual website rather than toolbar crap, a lot faster than IE9, and seems more compliant with standards.
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    Meh, I'm a bit disappointed with the whole 2 monitor thing. (I like ultra-mon though!)

Primary screen is used for gaming + browsing whilst the secondary screen mainly holds VLC + it's playlist. I'm not getting a lot of use out of it.
    Maybe when I get back into programming I can read (ebooks, web-tutorials etc) on the right and code on the left.

But for now the 2nd monitor is a bit of a boring luxury and is causing a few problems with several games.
    (Magicka claims I have no graphics card unless I use -windowed and NS2 is stretching the server browser so that I can't hit the "JOIN SERVER" button.)
    Also, why do no games allow you to have the game take up both monitors. (As far as I can tell you need an EYEFinity setup or it's nVIDIA counter-part. And even then it's selected titles only. Bah!)
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    I never liked dual monitors. I have one huge monitor instead. It's easier to alt tab than it is to refocus on another monitor to look at something else, it's a pain to manage 2 desktops, and it annoys me all to hell when you're on two monitors and your mouse cursor can actually move off the screen. My mouse belongs on one screen dammit!
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1833546:date=Feb 19 2011, 09:45 AM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Feb 19 2011, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833546"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never liked dual monitors. I have one huge monitor instead. It's easier to alt tab than it is to refocus on another monitor to look at something else, it's a pain to manage 2 desktops, and it annoys me all to hell when you're on two monitors and your mouse cursor can actually move off the screen. My mouse belongs on one screen dammit!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

DiscoZombie likes his cursor like he likes his women.
    Confined to 450 square inch...
    I've had dual monitors since I were 15, I'm now 22. I decided early on I was going to learn to look at 2 things at once, starting with my monitor. I didn't quite manage to catch it on with reading, that's too hard. Although I can look at both monitors at once, so one with each eye for short periods of time on and off. Pretty useful skill to have, pretty advantageous on SUPCOMM2 :D