Development Blog Update - NS2 Q&A #2

13»

Comments

• jihemjihem Join Date: 2011-01-11 Member: 77081Members
    Thanks for answering those questions Max!

At this point, I'm nearly more interested in the tech than in the game itself. I really think that UWE should integrate Spark even more in the marketing of NS2, maybe another tech video with the cool atmospheric effects in (or vids illustrating different features like the ones from Crytek or the UE3). Spark took at lot of effort to develop. People have to know about the sweet things it can do !

Keep up the good work!
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, the atmospheric lights look amazing! Even those subtle ones under the floor grating add a huge amount to the "feel" of the room. Can't wait till they're optimized to the point that they're regularly included.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1830813:date=Feb 9 2011, 08:15 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 9 2011, 08:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obviously the life support systems are set to high humidity there :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The mappers have requested some additional controls over the density of the effect, which I'll be adding in once it's optimized.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2011
    Very nice!
    Specialy "There will definitely be a Linux dedicated server for the release"
    Awesome!

Whats about Fog, will it be in the game later?
    Some FOG entity would be very nice.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1830921:date=Feb 9 2011, 06:43 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 9 2011, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Very nice!
    Specialy "There will definitely be a Linux dedicated server for the release"
    Awesome!

Whats about Fog, will it be in the game later?
    Some FOG entity would be very nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

dunno what exactly you are talking about, but maybe something like the mist comming out of the hives "back" or "front" or whatever it is :D
  • jamesbchjamesbch Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28035Members, Constellation
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My dream scenario is that I can publish a simple interface for our renderer and have the community create an OpenGL version. There are some logistics that would need to be sorted out, but I'm hoping we can do this at some stage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this ! The community can achieve great work. I hope you will be able to do the same with the linux binary. About steam you can run it via Wine but I don't know if your native application can access it directly from wine. I don't have a lots of hope about Valve releasing the native client since there isn't any new since 6 months...
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1830921:date=Feb 9 2011, 04:43 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 9 2011, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whats about Fog, will it be in the game later?
    Some FOG entity would be very nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a hint of a future fog entity (fog_controls). At the moment it changes the fog settings for the entire map. I remember them saying they will localize it in the future and who knows maybe let it be dynamic> a different fog value per room if power is on/off, DI on/off... :D
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Awesome Q&A! Thanks to Max&Co for your time!
    I'm waiting to enjoy the Mac version. Good work!
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    Volumetric lighting doesn't seem right. Having light shine on an area shouldn't make it less visible. It seems to just make the air look dusty and everything looks washed out. I imagine most instances of its use will just seem forced and not add to the game.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i like the dusty aspect of it, i actually really like the added atmosphere :)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me this will certainly bring the outside in which will make a huge difference to the levels.

It is really exciting to be watching and follwing a team like this at the moment. Creating a game, the engine and not having to work round too many constraints - because they can build around them.
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1831057:date=Feb 10 2011, 12:32 PM:name=Pyromaniac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pyromaniac @ Feb 10 2011, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Volumetric lighting doesn't seem right. Having light shine on an area shouldn't make it less visible. It seems to just make the air look dusty and everything looks washed out. I imagine most instances of its use will just seem forced and not add to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're probably the only person who doesn't like it, anyway, those screens are just quick light tweaking by players, it'll look cooler and probably more realistic when used by real artists =)
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1831057:date=Feb 10 2011, 06:32 AM:name=Pyromaniac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pyromaniac @ Feb 10 2011, 06:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1831057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having light shine on an area shouldn't make it less visible. It seems to just make the air look dusty and everything looks washed out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You do realize that when light hits dust particles it scatters causing slight glare and decreasing visibility to the observer right? It's also the only reason we can actually see a laser beam. If there were no dust particles it would appear invisible.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Yay, my question got answered, thanks !

With this Q&A 2 and the new Meet the Team video, it's been a great week for NS2 fans.

Thankyou so much, keep it up. Just waiting for more info on DI, can't wait !
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    NS2 volumetric laser show by Lazer?