Lerk flight model

GaroGaro Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33134Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
I'm wondering about the current Lerk flight model. I personally feel that it's quite hard to fly when compared to ns1 lerk flight model. Especially when pressing jump button the lerk jumps way too up, so I find it hard to navigate and glide into vents and other small areas.

What does other players think about the current model? Personally I'm hoping that it's just a work-in-progress and it'll eventually be just like ns1 flight model.

Opinions?

- Garo

Comments

• SatanLovesYOuSatanLovesYOu Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28410Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It feels closer then it did back in the first alpha release but it's not there just yet...and I am PRAYING that they make flight cost stamina...
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Yup. Flight model not quite there yet.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2011
    I think the flight model needs to feel more intuitive, and offer better control. I hope they start reworking it in the next month or two.

There are a few prototypes I've tried, the links are in my sig.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Whilst it would make my life easier if the flapping didn't make you go up quite so much (and if you wanted to fly upwards you could always *look* up and flap).

There is something to be said that you *have* to fly/glide through combat after building up speed and can't just flap around changing direction all the time. Makes you plan your attacks a bit more carefully which fits well with the whole ranged support role.

That said I think they could make it a little bit less frustrating than it can be without sacrificing this.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Yes, Lerk flight (as well as many other things in the game) is still a work in progress. Only so many things can be worked on at once, however, so at the moment our focus is on performance, game breaking bugs, and adding the rest of the features (arc cannon, Onos, DI, etc.) before polishing and improving the things that are technically working.

--Cory
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Lerk flight model should be tweaked, but as of right now, it's about the only thing keeping them from being overpowered with the server lag. It's pretty hard to shoot a lerk when they fly all over the ceiling. I find the screen shake when being hit by the spikes to be pretty disorienting too.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Even though I agree with Garo (and some people might recognise that I've talked about this before), cory said some wise words regarding priorities. I totally agree that gameplay would probably receive the best benefits by focusing on just what he said.
  • GaroGaro Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33134Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1829664:date=Feb 4 2011, 01:40 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 4 2011, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, Lerk flight (as well as many other things in the game) is still a work in progress.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you Cory, that was all I wanted to hear. I have no problem with waiting :)

- Garo