Spawn Protection?

13»

Comments

• kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    my two cents

Spawn Protection = No.
    Add it to the collection of 'tips' that pop up.
    This is where you spawn if the enemy destroys ALL of these you cannot spawn.
    If you cannot spawn tell the user WHY...You cannot spawn because there are no available Infantry Portals.
    If people can't grasp the concept of defending the buildings in NS then they are going to FAIL.

Telefragging = Yes.
    I have no problem with this idea.
    I keep expecting them to implement it which is why I try to munch on the base and then jump on the marine as he spawns.
    If I jump to soon and get fried in the telefrag...I think that's fair.

Finally Commanders step up.
    I had a game where the commander yelled at us AFTER the IP was munched.
    He had directed us to the hive and was mad we didn't know the starting base was attacked.
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    Wow, lots of ppl didn't play NS1? I'll repeat some of what's been said. If you let the skulks get to the IP the game is over. You deserve to die instantly on spawn. Your team failed. It has always been like this and it was good back then. Does it suck to be on the losing end of that? Yeah, but get over it, you'll do it to someone else too. Get more IPs, don't have everyone just run out of base and forget the base. For god's sake, use your headsets to communicate. Like in NS1, it's critical for the comm to be on mic. Maybe we'll get mines back or something to help the rines in the early game. Back in the day before RFK and waves of spawn rushes, you'd drop a second IP and then mines to prevent skulks from jumping the IPs right off.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827824:date=Jan 28 2011, 04:54 AM:name=Pat (GER))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat (GER) @ Jan 28 2011, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok but a comm cant kill a fade alone :) a skulk ok but a fade.. no way

skulks should get damage if they stand on the moving IP
    if they stand beside the IP they can attack the IP but not the spawning marine and additional to that the marine should have 1 or 2 seconds protection to get away from the IP<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    well if your comm is the only player left alive you're on the verge of losing and it probably wont be only 1 skulk/fade chomping on the ip at that stage so its pointless to have spawn protection
  • brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    Wait for distress beacons to come back into the game, with the ability to choose which tech node players spawn to. Spawn camping is important for any respawning game, and it really should only be countered by not having everyone die. Marines have always had the obs/beacon as a safety, although for aliens I can't say they've really had the same (they do however have a much better spawning system, NS1 they spawned faster than rines and consistantly, whereas marines needed 15 res IPs maxed at 3/4 IPs actually working at a time.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    This is what it feels like when Marines don't have sentries in spawn. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDS5D0HKGwo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDS5D0HKGwo</a>

I think the IP should push back all players close by (~3 units range) when a marine spawns from it. Aliens are a lot less vulnerable to spawn camping even without defensive structures. Even when aliens do get spawn camped by 1 or 2 marines, there is usually a good chance they can respawn fast enough to wear the campers down.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Minimum number of players on each team before game start is a good idea (server option) to address those instant 1-skulk rushes.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Add both sides having to type "ready" in chat. ;P
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I dont think a delay is a good idea really, but I think that ip's could have a start protection. As in, during the first minute you cant kill the ip.

And for spawn protection, as I said before, I like it (altough not the invulnerable marine type, I hate that one :P).
    Would prefer if it existed in the form of telefragging or a strong push away from ip just as marine spawns (would also take care of afk people standing still in ip, altough afk guy would end up slowing respawn rate).

I also like that idea of letting rine look around a second or 2 before spawning, not only makes it easyer to dodge spawncampers, but it will also make it easyer to wear them down (aim at them and start fire as soon as you spawn). Might actually work well enough even without any other spawnprotection.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I don't care for any of the things that have been suggested, we're moving away from the RTS-elements far too much.

<!--QuoteBegin-'Feha'+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ('Feha')</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I dont think a delay is a good idea really, but I think that ip's could have a start protection. As in, during the first minute you cant kill the ip.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->This renders early rushing useless, and will make this game unworthy of the RTS-genre to be quite honest. Put it in a mp_casual variable.

<!--QuoteBegin-'Feha'+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ('Feha')</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Would prefer ... a strong push away from ip just as marine spawns<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->This just discourages tactical rushes on the IP, and will be highly frustrating for the skulk that managed to get in this favorable position of eating the IP. Put it in a mp_casual variable.

<!--QuoteBegin-'Feha'+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ('Feha')</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I also like that idea of letting rine look around a second or 2 before spawning, not only makes it easyer to dodge spawncampers, but it will also make it easyer to wear them down (aim at them and start fire as soon as you spawn). Might actually work well enough even without any other spawnprotection.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Let me just repeat what I posted earlier:
    <!--QuoteBegin-'A really smart fella'+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ('A really smart fella')</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->If your IP is under direct attack, it is no longer a matter of 'an honest fight', because you basically just lost that fight by letting skulks have at the IP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->