Go and Update Release 162!

DeTeNaDeTeNa Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75751Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Available on steam NOW!!!</div>hf and discuss

Comments

• Mile5Mile5 Join Date: 2011-01-23 Member: 78686Members
    Makes me all tingly inside. Looking forward to the changelog. :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    Heh, they probably didn't expect Steam to be this fast I guess... Or is this a secret push to awesomeness?

[edit]
    Seems quite smooth compared to 161, while walking trough Rockdown, going to boot Tram to see if it is also smoother!
  • Vitamin XeroVitamin Xero Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75875Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1827124:date=Jan 25 2011, 01:56 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 25 2011, 01:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Heh, they probably didn't expect Steam to be this fast I guess... Or is this a secret push to awesomeness?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

One of the advantages of using Steam. =)
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited January 2011
    Finished downloading... and i see servers with people!!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds are a bit weird for me.

I joined the server to be welcome with 'hey i need some ammo over here'.

Joined marine team to hear rifle loop.

And my marine sounds like an exosuit when he walks on infestation. :V
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited January 2011
    Mh. Currently just getting a black screen when joing a server.

*edit*
    Works now. Dunno what it was.

*edit*
    Yeah, seems to be only the Dev server. See below.
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827129:date=Jan 25 2011, 03:10 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jan 25 2011, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds are a bit weird for me.

I joined the server to be welcome with 'hey i need some ammo over here'.

Joined marine team to hear rifle loop.

And my marine sounds like an exosuit when he walks on infestation. :V<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm having this bug too. I think some of the game resources got mixed up. My skulk footsteps are like gorge spits and I hear the rifle loop too (it prob is supposed to be playing some ambiance). The effects are messed up for me too though, when I skulk bite a marine or structure, it creates the flamethrower effect at my mouth. It scares the crap out of me.

<!--quoteo(post=1827136:date=Jan 25 2011, 03:25 PM:name=gorge.ous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gorge.ous @ Jan 25 2011, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mh. Currently just getting a black screen when joing a server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This happened to me when trying to join the UWE server. I tried other servers and it worked fine.
  • Pr0nPr0n Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13592Members
    edited January 2011
    Thoughts:

+Game runs.

-Rubber banding still there. Not as impossible as 161 but not fixed.
    -Not smooth at all.
    -Marine weapons have a 1 second delay from Mouse 1 press to weapon firing. Hit self with the grenade launcher a few times - as in I fired it, then got in front of the round BEFORE it fired; not before it exploded, before it FIRED.
    -Hit code means you literally cannot hit the broad side of a barn. Targets such as completely stationary Fades have bullet-jitsu.
    -<b>Flamethrower is so nerfed, you might as well take it out of the Armory.</b> People are going to realize that the shotgun kills life-forms better, and the grenade launcher kills structures better. If the Flamethrower is not supposed to be a "Weapon" you shouldn't have to upgrade to an advanced armory to get it.
    -Lerks are ridiculous. They out dps marines, out range marines, and out indirect fire marines. Something needs to be done to improve marines.

Verdict:

Better than patch 161 because I could not even load that half the time. But that's the only reason. Waiting on b163...

I don't think this game will not be released for at a minimum, 1 full year. Which means yes, <b>Duke Nukem Forever</b> will be released before NS2 v1.0.

<b>I should be a bit nicer.</b>
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited January 2011
    I wonder why they dont just post the changelog before they supply it to valve? i mean the list of changes should be finished, just would make more sense to get to see the changes first ;)
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827153:date=Jan 25 2011, 03:59 PM:name=blackpiranha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackpiranha @ Jan 25 2011, 03:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder why they dont just post the changelog before they supply it to valve? i mean the list of changes should be finished, just would make more sense to get to see the changes first ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They just have small notes of what they changed and fixed so they need to collect them all and rewrite them formally.
  • hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
    edited January 2011
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    about the new flamer - its not as lethal and the burn ticks are not as annoying and brutal, but you look retarded when you cant punch your opponent as a fade because he sapped your energy regen. Combined with the nasty flame blind, its ok I feel.
    Shotguns are downright brutal now though, dunno why
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1827166:date=Jan 25 2011, 11:38 PM:name=hotd0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hotd0g @ Jan 25 2011, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->patch sucks
    try again UW<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Terrible nonconstructive feedback.
    try again
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1827171:date=Jan 25 2011, 07:06 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 25 2011, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Terrible nonconstructive feedback.
    try again<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahaha owned! Don't let the trolls get to you Cory. Keep up the great work guys! This patch was a success.
    edited January 2011
    Fade damage output seems tremendous buffed. Is it?

Also sound loops are back (for rifle at least) and sometimes I hear stange sounds in the background. People on server suggested it might be Onos sounds.
  • hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1827171:date=Jan 25 2011, 08:06 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 25 2011, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Terrible nonconstructive feedback.
    try again<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sigh, i actually feel bad for making that post, but i couldn't help it, i get frustrated some times
    ######, don't stop working on ns2, i can see it improving alot over the next few months (lol now i feel regret for making that post cos you guys actually take members' feedback seriously)
    to be honest i would buy another 3 copies of ns2 if i thought you could make it release-worthy in the next few months...

i tried playing, but the hydra spam still ruins the server...
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    In a word: Awesome

In more than one:

Good:
    Game is running smooth as silk now (for me) except in a very few instances with long corridors (Tram Hub).
    Flamethrower ammo seems to have gone down.
    Alien commander (haven't tried Marine) is as smooth as a shaved lemur dipped in vaseline (that's good! ;))
    Lerk spikes have visual as well as audible feedback, it is feckin' sweet.
    I noticed what looked like a squad-list in the left hand corner, didn't get to try Transponding.
    Minimaps rox like Bon Jovi in the 80'ies

Bad:
    Marines play the "hurt" sound and have blood splatters when in Spore clouds.

Uh. I'll have to think up some more bad's but honestly, my impression was *that* good.

Awesome job UWE. Have yourselves an extra half cup of water! =D
  • Pr0nPr0n Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13592Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1827151:date=Jan 25 2011, 05:56 PM:name=Pr0n)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pr0n @ Jan 25 2011, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>I should be a bit nicer.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>This post has been edited by Flayra: Today, 06:35 PM</b>

At least it was Charlie.

Maybe I would be a bit nicer if we had Gorge Plushies while I wait until Fall 2009. Plus I led with a positive; patch 161 didn't work for me AT ALL. At least patch 162 has functionality.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Mixed up sound happened to me too, after I connected to a server (UWE server in fact), got a black screen and disconnected via console the sound was all muffled. Then after I joined another server sound as well as gfx seemed to be mixed up. All alien attacks showed explosions, the pistol had the sentry gun sound, ambient sound loop had some weird sounds playing and so on. Was fixed after restarting the game.

Another thing though, what's with the fade attack? I used to be able to actually hit stuff a few patches ago. Now I'm running after marines hitting them in the back half a dozen times, even had the "hit" sound play, but they took no damage. Others seemed to have similar problems.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827198:date=Jan 25 2011, 08:53 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jan 25 2011, 08:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another thing though, what's with the fade attack? I used to be able to actually hit stuff a few patches ago. Now I'm running after marines hitting them in the back half a dozen times, even had the "hit" sound play, but they took no damage. Others seemed to have similar problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i think that relates to the new marine armor, which was fixed in 161. e.g. rines can get 3 skulkbites before die.(have been 2 bites before)
    edited January 2011
    Mh, currently I am unable to hit anything as alien. Maybe thats just because the game is laggy (not just for me). But 161 was laggy too on patch day so maybe I try again in two days. Until now the game is neither faster nore more "responsive" then 161. I would even say 161 was running better. But well, it's beta and patch day.

Oh, and please fix the server browser on lower resolutions. The only resolution I can play in is 1920*1080. In others I'm unable to see/press the "Join Server" button.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1827201:date=Jan 26 2011, 01:58 AM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Jan 26 2011, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think that relates to the new marine armor, which was fixed in 161. e.g. rines can get 3 skulkbites before die.(have been 2 bites before)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A part of that surely is, but following a marine back all the way from elevator to marine start, whacking him in the back the whole time, and not being able to kill him can't come from armor alone, can it.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827207:date=Jan 25 2011, 09:01 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jan 25 2011, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A part of that surely is, but following a marine back all the way from elevator to marine start, whacking him in the back the whole time, and not being able to kill him can't come from armor alone, can it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes maybe... i have experienced that aliens just walk though marines... (same for opposite, but since rines are ranged it doesnt matter that much), maybe thats also part of the problem. i think that didnt happen in 160
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited January 2011
    Cool patch, maybe a taste of more to come? The performance did improve a bit in some circumstances, but the majority of those issues are still there. Checking the profile function it is clear there is a long way to go in reducing the delays caused by the non-graphics stuff. When the machine should be spitting out 80-100 fps, but only produces 30-40, it really is painful... though I'm sure its more painful for you guys! By the way, I noticed that the profile function seems to accumulate time in the main menu (if you load it, the render time steadily creeps up even though nothing changes). Keep it up!
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Had a quick go , was generally very good ... then it crashed ( black screen , then loading map ..... , so I tried to access console heard the windows ding , switched tasks to note the crash application window :( )

My experience :

Played on a server I created to just to mess about , and it was pretty smooth ... FPS ranging from 20 in Rockdown Alien Start to 30 - 40 generally.
    Big thumbs up to the sound guys, the audio work is awesome ... ###### myself pressing the skulk bite the vent , love the ricochette of the Lerks SMG spikes ( did you increase the cost in energy a bit ? Or lower the damage ? )
    Found a unusual BUG - As a Gorge I was messing around Marine start fireing spit all over the place and noticed the spit bounces around after hitting some of the surfaces... specifically the iron girders next to the steps up onto the platform near the initial extractor ... spit bounces around like mad.

Decide to give it the acid test, a play on a server , on Tram .... oh here we go, now the whine I hear you all say.

Actually it wasnt bad , a few wierd discreprencies ( like the Armory healing me via the med pack animation, instead of the arms opening ) , but a marked improvements in many ways... didnt notice half as much rubberbanding as I usually do, hit reg and enemy movement was a bit iffy but that could of also been pings.
    The best of all , Marines had Flamers and wasnt a auto win, needed shotguns and GL's to go with the Flamers ... was in a push to the Alien Expansion when it crashed...

Summary : Some wierd stuff went down , but overall it seems to be much improved. Will give it a good testing over the weekend with some beers on hand :P
  • VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
    edited January 2011
    Alright, tried b162 for a bit, here's some feedback:

Performance:
    - Better FPS in Rockdown, worse FPS on Tram (although perceived network/server lag was mostly quite low in both, on different servers)
    - Game still crashing on Tram eventually. I keep sending crash logs, no idea if they're useful though.

Commander gameplay:
    - Changes to the marine interface feel nice, I especially like the new keybinds (although it took a bit to get used to them)
    - Sentry orientation on placement doesn't really work, at least not with MACs. Also, I managed to misplace a sentry while trying to orientate it before building. Oh, and they're way too fragile for 20 carbon cost. Even with 2 marines unloading LMGs in him, a fade could take his time and kill it before bailing out.
    - Slower energy recovery? It felt like I was always out of MACs. Oh, and their path-finding is still very weird.
    - Dropping medpacks/ammo didn't work properly on Tram, especially in Central Hive. Blamed it on FPS, or maybe they were actually dropped below the floor sometimes. Or do you check if the selected marine is healthy and disallow dropping meds? Selecting a marine instead of dropping the supply is still an issue.
    - Tram balance: Still very hard to manage to drop the RT in Operations. I don't really like the removal of the door to Alien Expansion, even if we managed to hold Tram hub, we'd eventually lose momentum due to fades in double and marine expansion.

Marine gameplay:
    - Felt pretty balanced, people stopped relying on the Flamethrower so much, especially for attacking hives
    - lerks can be a real nuisance, very hard to hit when flying (maybe too fast pose/anim switching, just like the old issue with the skulks?), overpowering marines in both rate of fire and range.
    - noticed 2 or more vertically stacking ammo boxes quite a couple times. Initially we thought it's a sentry waiting to be built.

Alien gameplay:
    - still don't like playing skulk/fade because of the FOV. Might be because I'm using a 24" 16:9 monitor.
    - Liked the energy drain from flames, but they still feel like they burn for too long.
    - Skulk bites don't feel like they connect properly (nothing changed from b161). Especially when fighting near walls/structures, it feels like the structure is blocking the bite

TL;DR: Still has quite a bit of quirks, but overall an improvement.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Personally I'm still getting a ton of unplayable stuttering even on an empty server, maybe even more than before with 162. It still only seems to be an issue connecting to a server, not starting one. Not to be a broken record about this, just providing feedback that the fix has yet to happen. I'm not sure when this started but for the last few builds my performance has been far worse than it was at the beginning of Beta, no question about it. I pretty much log in for five minutes after each patch to see if it's gone away, and so far no luck.
  • LyphenLyphen Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78947Members
    I wasn't even able to get to the menu. Game my harddrive started to make the most frightening noise I've ever heard, and then the game crashed and the noise stopped. Not loading this up for awhile, scared the ###### out of me.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited January 2011
    its getting heaps better - but it scares the hell out of me when i think about how much work is still to be done. i'm worried it won't come out (in a smooth playable state) until this time next year

i mean who would of thought duke nukem forever would be out before this LOL :)
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2011
    <b>Good stuff:</b>
    <ul><li><b>Minimap</b>. Oh god yes. Commanding just became that much more awesome (Marine). Thanks!</li><li><b>Lerk spikes</b>. I can see them now! Delayed as hell but still!</li><li><b>Commander interface</b>. It's just great. Have to say the odd binds are confusing me but that's up for a fix with customization later on I guess (or simply experience).</li><li><b>Performance</b>. Can't say I noticed that much improvement but my computer handled the game pretty well before anyway.</li><li><b>Personal value</b>. I played as Commander and used voice-speak. It was so much fun, definitively one-of-a-kind experience.</li></ul>

<b>Bad stuff:</b>
    <ul><li><b>Pathing with Drifters/MAC</b>s. It's impossible to get them somewhere without crossing through at least five walls it feels like in a wide re-route. Incredibly frustrating.</li><li><b>Melee attacks</b>. They never... ever... connect. I think I managed to squeeze one kill with 8 sequential deaths defending Tram Repair. Near deal-breaker for playing alien right now unless you go Lerk and harass the place. Could be server-dependant of course but the ones I tried it seemed like a definitive issue as aliens lost.</li><li><b>Flamethrower</b>. It doesn't deal as much damage, but there's still the incredible variation in time it burns as well as the blinding-effect which still makes it as deadly as before. Feels like when the server is laggy, the effect can be applied more than once or something. Saw a guy burn to death in front of a Hive for some 30-40 seconds.</li><li><b>Whip animation</b>. Does not show any animation when lashing at targets.</li><li><b>Game crashes</b>. Crashed three times in 2h, I got blackscreen for nearly 30 seconds time and time again, couldn't report what happened either.</li></ul>

<b>Gameplay stuff:</b>
    <ul><li><b>Alien commander</b>. Feel fairly redundant while being one, Marine commander had much more interaction with the "units" below. Further features along the road I guess.</li><li><b>Jumping marines</b>. One of those things you cannot kill as Skulk it seems. Looks ridiculous too.</li><li><b>Hydras</b>. Feels like they are not used to their full potential due to the limited range they can be planted.</li><li><b>Lerk flight</b>. Could use a bit of an overhaul, feels like I'm without any control.</li></ul>

Sorry for raining on your parade I guess with this but really I'm just pointing out things because I love this game. Guess that applies to many of the other comments here too.
    I had a blast this evening with frequent chats and I'm definitively going to play more because things are now beginning to feel more stable (can't say the same about the alien side though but hopefully it has just been a server-choice issue). Also I'm going to give the map-feedback a go for sure.
    *thumbs-up*