Editor Request List

Comments

• LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1825724:date=Jan 21 2011, 05:35 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jan 21 2011, 05:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Ability to dbl-click "brushes" to add to current selection of brushes/faces (don't want to create groups for everything or build stuff completely out of one brush)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    double clicking a face selects every face that is linked welded together
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1826108:date=Jan 22 2011, 04:36 AM:name=Loey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Loey @ Jan 22 2011, 04:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826108"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->double clicking a face selects every face that is linked welded together<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know, thanks, but dbl-clicking discards the current selection, which is my point, if you read everything carefully.
    I basicly want a shift-dbl-click so I can select multiple brushes without the need to group them.
    my bad, didnt see that part

id like a measurement tool so i find the dimensions of my corridors and rooms without having to draw lines
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    adding material names and tile type in textures file names like wall_clay_refinery_htile_01
    Where htile would be Horizontal tile, vtile vertical tile, and btile both tile, or notile for no tile...
    Would makes it easier to find the texture we want! :D
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1826198:date=Jan 22 2011, 04:14 PM:name=Loey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Loey @ Jan 22 2011, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my bad, didnt see that part

id like a measurement tool so i find the dimensions of my corridors and rooms without having to draw lines<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No biggie, you just wanted to help.

If you want to check dimensions you can select certain objects/faces/lines/vertices, switch to the scale tool and watch the numbers.
    Not as good as a measurement tool though, I guess.
    "treat as one" feature like in hammer when texturing over multiple faces.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    and still waiting those above too :(
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited March 2011
    Forget the fancy features, texture across etc. I'd just like to see the basic stuff fixed.

The black background bug, whether it's a simple revert fix or you can control all window elements I don't care. That's really a main point stopping people wanting to use the editor right now.

Along with an "unweld" feature to fix bugged faces that shouldn't of been welded or to speed up the process when you want to change something that's been welded.
  • hardrock527hardrock527 Join Date: 2009-07-15 Member: 68150Members
    I would really love to see a "center to" face or prop. It would be really helpful for lighting among other things.

Also a subdivide tool for quick cutting and carving.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1837646:date=Mar 17 2011, 11:39 PM:name=hardrock527)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hardrock527 @ Mar 17 2011, 11:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also a subdivide tool for quick cutting and carving.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can use the line tool for that.
  • Joe DangerJoe Danger Join Date: 2011-02-19 Member: 82524Members
    I keep wishing for a "collapse" tool. Collapse a line, and the verts on either end are welded together, in the center of where the line was. Collapsing faces would work pretty much the same way (imagine bringing a cylinder to a cone in one click).
    Commander opacity - To supplement "invisible to commander", instead of being invisible you can set opacity level of 25/50/75%.
    Click through - To supplement commander opacity, if you want the commander to be able to click through the current level which is partially seen, so structures/items fall on the lower layer.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    sphere tool.

grayscale texture opacities instead of bitmap opacities.

fewer crashes with the line tool.

deforming tool for creating curvy landscapes, and an ability to apply a texture to the whole thing without having to manipulate the individual triangle textures.
    <!--quoteo(post=1838652:date=Mar 24 2011, 04:32 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Mar 24 2011, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->deforming tool for creating curvy landscapes, and an ability to apply a texture to the whole thing without having to manipulate the individual triangle textures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Insane has said in various posts among the forums that's there, just not public right now ;)
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1838675:date=Mar 24 2011, 02:38 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 24 2011, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Insane has said in various posts among the forums that's there, just not public right now ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

but i wants it. remember when they threw down the temp infestation geometry in rockdown? it looked so nice. i want to do the exact same thing but with sand. im holding off on it cuz i don't want to stitch and twist textures.
    edited March 2011
    The triangulation method isn't that time consuming.

All you do is make a big square, use the grid lines to use the line tool to make littler squares, then cut them in halves with triangles. Highlight all vertices/lines, CTRL+W. Done ;) I'd apply the texture after fully finishing the meshing of that area though, you got to get on with what you got Tig. Can't wait around for a feature forever =]
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1826791:date=Jan 25 2011, 04:30 AM:name=Loey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Loey @ Jan 25 2011, 04:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"treat as one" feature like in hammer when texturing over multiple faces.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 !!
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1837932:date=Mar 19 2011, 05:34 PM:name=Joe Danger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joe Danger @ Mar 19 2011, 05:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I keep wishing for a "collapse" tool. Collapse a line, and the verts on either end are welded together, in the center of where the line was. Collapsing faces would work pretty much the same way (imagine bringing a cylinder to a cone in one click).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can do that using the scaling tool... click the back wall and scale it down.
  • Joe DangerJoe Danger Join Date: 2011-02-19 Member: 82524Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1839328:date=Mar 30 2011, 10:50 AM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Mar 30 2011, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can do that using the scaling tool... click the back wall and scale it down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure you can scale anything to size 0, and if you can, scaling it down will produce a lot of phantom geometry. Extra verts, unseen triangles, things that would make editing (and I'm guessing rendering) harder than it would need to be.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1838610:date=Mar 24 2011, 10:00 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 24 2011, 10:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Commander opacity - To supplement "invisible to commander", instead of being invisible you can set opacity level of 25/50/75%.
    Click through - To supplement commander opacity, if you want the commander to be able to click through the current level which is partially seen, so structures/items fall on the lower layer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I do remember reading about that opacity thing somewhere as a future feature... I'm going to blame Insane or perhaps Cory for this enigma :P
    Timestamps on Output.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    After spending a little bit to see if I could get my door floor map idea to work, I realized that the current editor is woefully lacking in the needed features and entities. Since I'm mostly interested in novelty/gimmick maps, none of these features should be a priority, but I would like to see them added sometime down the line after the NS2 v1.0 release.

<b>Editor Features</b>
    1. Moving models in a 2D views only moves that model in those two directions (i.e. if I'm moving a model in the XY view, the model shouldn't also move in the Z direction)
    2. Ability to merge flat surfaces together (so there isn't a seam between them)

<b>General Features</b>
    1. Ability to spawn players in a map without an IP/Hive
    2. Ability to start map without tech or res nodes
    3. Ability to provide even lighting in a room (without point or spot lights)
    4. Ability to provide both TRes and PRes flow without res nodes/harvesters/extractors
    5. Ability to start a map with only one side (e.g. all alien or all marines)

<b>Entity features</b>
    1. Input and ouput events and triggers
    <u>Triggers</u>
    - Open
    - Close
    - Lock
    - Unlock
    - On
    - Off
    - Destroy
    - Hurt
    - Kill
    - Give PRes/TRes
    - Remove PRes/TRes
    <u>Events</u>
    - IsOpen
    - IsClosed
    - IsOn
    - IsOff
    - OnMapSpawn
    - OnSpawn
    - OnHurt
    - OnKill
    2. Entities that I can apply to map geometry
    3. Volume entities
    - Noclip
    - Noclip, aliens only
    - Noclip, marines only
    - Noclip, skulk can't climb here
    - Generic volume that I can trigger events on when a player enters
    4. Parenting
    5. Logic entities
    - Timer
    - Counter
    - Trigger
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    I hope the editor gets some improvements, there's still a lot a year on that needs fixing, even just the odd thing every other update would help.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    edited February 2012
    I've been keeping notes on what I run into and what I find to be important and missing. I'll keep adding to my notebook. I prefer to not submit so many bugs through the bug report website, I seem to never get any feedback there.

- Ability to adjust void colour.
    - hotkey to render/reveal back of faces.
    - Ability to track down lines and vertices that are unconnected to anything.
    - Unfinished lines and vertices are a different colour.
    - Texture alignment feature 'treat as one'
    - Faster scrolling in/out on 2d planes.
    - Global ambient light control inside the editor + colour saturation. (Instead of placing one in your map to illuminate the whole section you're working on.
    - Colour grading that is not radius based. This causes issues when trying to fill a room but not any part of the outside.
    - When placing props, have them flush to the surface they're placed, and facing the camera.
    - All props should be cached to speed up browsing .
    - Improved keywords for prop searching .
    - Fix props randomly rotating 90 degrees every time you try to readjust their rotation.
    - Welded vertices and lines are a different colour.
    - When mass selecting, you cannot deselect vertices or edges.
    - Grouping function with a hotkey, everything selected can be grouped.
    - Ability to ignore groups (only relevant with previous suggestion.)
    - Transformation tool snaps to a different grid than the scale tool.
    - ctrl + F also flips props 180 degrees.
    - Model replacement also remembers, location, scale, and orientation.
    - Method of selecting specific edge when edges overlap. (Select the face first, then drag in direction to select edge.)
    - Deleting a face leaves edges and vertices behind (Super mega important)
    - Transformation origin jumps to vertex in focal view first
    - NS2 wiki search inside editor
    - light_ambient colour is bugged. Main colour does not work. Individual directional colour works, but colour values cannot be pasted or it will not work.
    - Hold ctrl and selecting, you cannot deselect a vertex or edge

I'm working really hard on my NS2 map, I would tremendously appreciate any attention the editor gets to make my experience smoother. I have no complaints however, it is my favorite editor to date : )
  • BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    A Cordon tool would be very nice to have, too. Imagine placing a cordon box around a room you are working on, clicking the cordon button, and everything that isn't in that box has gone invisible. I absolutely adored using it in Hammer.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Copying this here :

1) Copy how blender move/rotate/scale tool works, it's way better, and since it's the basic tools, it's <b>very important</b> that they are well designed:

- Move shortcuts to be closer on keyboard (g,r,s)
    - When you have something selected and you press g,r,s the thing start directly to move/rotate/scale. No need to point and click on the little axis.
    - When you move/rotate/scale something pressing x,y or z constrain the movement in the given axis.
    - When you move/rotate/scale something pressing middle mouse button constrain the movement in the closet axis.
    - When you move/rotate/scale something typing a number move/rotate/scale by the number. E.g. double size a face : s 2.

Download blender and see how it's done : <a href="http://www.blender.org/" target="_blank">http://www.blender.org/</a>

2) When you create a new face always orient it toward the camera.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Can we get a shortcut to select plus add whole objects, like ctrl + double left mouse click to select whole object, adding one whole object to selection each time, double clicking the same object removes it.

The orientation of the view ports is weird, dragging left or right in one will move the opposite direction in the other, check out other editors to see the way it should be.
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    Something funny happened to me in the build 204, I thought it would not see it more as there is a dramatic change in improvements in the editor but here it is ... again.

By selecting 2 lights and duplicate all the props is selected, only in appearance. But you have to restart the editor. I was chatting with Mendasp, it does not happen. happen to my PC only?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukov-Nq3JY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukov-Nq3JY</a>
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1927431:date=Apr 20 2012, 01:58 AM:name=[=Alex=])--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([=Alex=] @ Apr 20 2012, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927431"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Something funny happened to me in the build 204, I thought it would not see it more as there is a dramatic change in improvements in the editor but here it is ... again.

By selecting 2 lights and duplicate all the props is selected, only in appearance. But you have to restart the editor. I was chatting with Mendasp, it does not happen. happen to my PC only?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukov-Nq3JY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qukov-Nq3JY</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok, so it's when selecting any entity and using the duplicate function (ctrl+d by default) it will select all the entities in the map and they'll be selected until you select and deselect them again or restart the editor.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    ctrl+d stopped working a while ago. I use ctrl+c - ctrl+v, does the job :)