No more random initial hive?

guirisguiris Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43387Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">strategy++ ftw</div>Hi!

I'm missing the portion of strategy on both sides that came in NS1 with the initial hive placement.

Remember (good old days, hope we can reach that level of joy with NS2) ns_eclipse, ns_veil... initial strategy for aliens and marines were heavily conditioned by that hive, and that was fun. Now the first minutes are pretty standard for both teams, knowing where to rush, where to expand first, etc...

I hope that with future and more balanced maps UWE could consider adding this feature, you know, we really NEED to whine "OMG xxx hive, we're fuc***, hold yyy or gg!"

Comments

• PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah I miss this too, it was always a little bit interesting for marines at least to spawn not knowing where the alien hive is just yet.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd like to see support for randomized starting locations for both sides. A map with 8 tech nodes, 3 potential marine starts, 3 potential alien starts, and 2 contested nodes would be ideal imo.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Only thing I remember about random hives is you need to ping two of them when you get an observatory.

Don't think it added anything.
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1825852:date=Jan 20 2011, 08:31 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jan 20 2011, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only thing I remember about random hives is you need to ping two of them when you get an observatory.

Don't think it added anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

didn't even need to ping them, really. you could actually hear the hive.
  • JerunkJerunk Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9659Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1825852:date=Jan 20 2011, 11:31 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jan 20 2011, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only thing I remember about random hives is you need to ping two of them when you get an observatory.

Yes, when you get an observatory.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Jan 20 2011, 11:38 PM:name=shiv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shiv @ Jan 20 2011, 11:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->didn't even need to ping them, really. you could actually hear the hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah most of the time you could.

Random hives are more fun since it changes your strategy up per game played.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    I can imagine future large maps having multiple possible spawn locations for each team (like on big RTS game maps). That would require both teams to do a lot of scouting throughout the game, and create a lot of interesting strategic play.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->didn't even need to ping them, really. you could actually hear the hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

IIRC, it was changed so you couldn't hear the RT in the starting alien hive until a minute of game time passed. Players still got around it by using waypoint/ammo tricks. I'd also like to see random alien/marine start locations.
  • GaroGaro Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33134Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I also agree on this one: bring random starting hives back to the game.

For example currently the best tactic in Rocktown is to rush West tech point at the start. Assuming that no better strategy emerges, people will learn that you need to sprint to west immediately. Doesn't sound like fun :(

- Garo
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    This idea isnt thought trough, i suggest you guys wait for a classic mod if you dont wanna play with the new mechanics.
    I dont see any benefit of random hives, against hive rush?, you should built a 2nd one in the first few sec anyway. Random only restricts maplayouts. (+ it wont be that cool on half of the maps, since there will be only 2 technodes for each team + 1 in the center on a lot maps...

PS: West or Center it doesnt matter... You dont need to hold that CC you only need it for the upgrade. + Center is easier to defend because of longer corridors. Very funny to suprise Aliens with flamethrowers after you ninja build center at the beginning, while aliens hide at west. (You only build it for the upgrade and sell it - as fast as possible -> sometimes aliens wont recognize that you made this, and already have Tier 2 for flamers)
  • broadbandbroadband Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33013Members
    random hive and cc locations, do dis.
  • Horseless HeadmanHorseless Headman Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76594Members
    Regardless of new game mechanics, I'd be interested to see how this would work out. I think it adds an extra dynamic to the game and used to love it in NS1.
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    Don't know. Depending on how fast seconds hives are up in the final game and the problem of having to design maps for random hives like the problem how to create choke areas and alike.
    Could work, but could also turn out to be total bs.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1825852:date=Jan 21 2011, 06:31 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jan 21 2011, 06:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only thing I remember about random hives is you need to ping two of them when you get an observatory.

Your short sightness amazes me. Marines have 3 ways check the hive first one is placing waypoint above the hive. Second is dropping ammopack on it and last is sound ( theres some limitation to this first 30 sec orslt someone correct me ).

Now that both know teams know start positions, they can decide which rts to cap or alternatively which to fight for. Random hive brought great diversity to the games and is huge factor why people can still learn new things in the gameplay. It was also a pain for mappers to balance but I personally would want it back in :(
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    +1 for random hive and cc. I prefer variety over perfection. That means I rather have three somewhat odd but completely different rounds than 3 that are the same. And it's not so much about not knowing where the enemy is, although that adds a little extra spice to the first few seconds, but mostly it's about changing the flow of the game from one round to the next. Marines starting in the elevator room on tram, and aliens in the "holo room", would lead to much different game play. Repetitiveness is the devil.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to see mapper having control over this. Just like most RTS games, there can be maps with just 2 starting locations, but some maps have 3 or 4. At that point the mapper has the option at his disposal, but there's no need to limit the layot by forcing the mapper to build the map around 3 somewhat manageable starting locations each and every time.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Okay, let mappers decide this. I'm fine with that.
  • smallfrysmallfry Join Date: 2009-04-10 Member: 67132Members
    I would love to see this feature implemented. I think it would add a ton more variety, in addition to adding an element of scouting to the early game.
  • Antonio Gramscix420Antonio Gramscix420 Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72554Members
    random hives were literally the worst part of ns1. your opinion is so wrong that i honestly dont understand how you can live with yourself. youre worse than hitler.
    <!--quoteo(post=1825984:date=Jan 21 2011, 03:22 PM:name=Antonio Gramscix420)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Antonio Gramscix420 @ Jan 21 2011, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->random hives were literally the worst part of ns1. your opinion is so wrong that i honestly dont understand how you can live with yourself. youre worse than hitler.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i see you trollin.
  • Antonio Gramscix420Antonio Gramscix420 Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72554Members
    it would be cool if flayra let players use aimbots because this could also provide epic strategy++ ftw. just think if youre on an alien team and someone says over voice "NSPalyer is aimbotting. alright everybody this is what we have to do: we need to get him parasited adn then have four skulks waiting for him at the very edge of a door that way we all get our bits in before he kills us. alright team, lets do this." the teamwork and strategy implications are utterly limitless. please impliment my idea flayra thank you :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1825990:date=Jan 21 2011, 12:35 PM:name=Antonio Gramscix420)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Antonio Gramscix420 @ Jan 21 2011, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it would be cool if flayra let players use aimbots because this could also provide epic strategy++ ftw. just think if youre on an alien team and someone says over voice "NSPalyer is aimbotting. alright everybody this is what we have to do: we need to get him parasited adn then have four skulks waiting for him at the very edge of a door that way we all get our bits in before he kills us. alright team, lets do this." the teamwork and strategy implications are utterly limitless. please impliment my idea flayra thank you :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

your rank says "drone" but we all know it really says troll.
    your avatar reflects.

on a RELATED NOTE:
    random hives = more strategy = more fun
  • guirisguiris Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43387Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1825941:date=Jan 21 2011, 12:28 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jan 21 2011, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see mapper having control over this. Just like most RTS games, there can be maps with just 2 starting locations, but some maps have 3 or 4. At that point the mapper has the option at his disposal, but there's no need to limit the layot by forcing the mapper to build the map around 3 somewhat manageable starting locations each and every time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1000

And remember, don't feed the troll ;)
  • TuTLookTuTLook Join Date: 2009-07-23 Member: 68245Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1825984:date=Jan 21 2011, 06:22 PM:name=Antonio Gramscix420)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Antonio Gramscix420 @ Jan 21 2011, 06:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->random hives were literally the worst part of ns1. your opinion is so wrong that i honestly dont understand how you can live with yourself. youre worse than hitler.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Obvious troll is obvious.

You are so obvious that I honestly don't understand how you can live with yourself. You're even worse than Hitler.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1825836:date=Jan 21 2011, 02:33 AM:name=guiris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guiris @ Jan 21 2011, 02:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi!

I'm missing the portion of strategy on both sides that came in NS1 with the initial hive placement.

Remember (good old days, hope we can reach that level of joy with NS2) ns_eclipse, ns_veil... initial strategy for aliens and marines were heavily conditioned by that hive, and that was fun. Now the first minutes are pretty standard for both teams, knowing where to rush, where to expand first, etc...

I hope that with future and more balanced maps UWE could consider adding this feature, you know, we really NEED to whine "OMG xxx hive, we're fuc***, hold yyy or gg!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With perfecetly balanced maps random hives are great but given the asymmetry of them it's not feasible.

In NS1 at top-tier play, aliens stood little chance with maintenance or pipeline as the starting hive on eclipse/veil.
  • hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
    considering how most maps have been designed so far on travel times to the first RT, the first expansion, to/from alien start and marine start, it may be problematic. then again it may not make that much of a difference.
    there will probably be tonnes of mods on the go, and I doubt anyone will be 100% satisfied with vanilla NS2.
    all that said I was definitely disappointed when they came out with the one and only alien start.
  • meb2meb2 Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72824Members
    random hives are ###### retarded and if you think anything other than that youre a mother ###### idiot
  • TunisTunis Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73242Members
    tha mapper can decide if he want random start location or no :)

this is already in the editor ;)

(use random on eache team location and the game will choice 1 of them for the marine and alien ;) )

i think you can use 3 marine team location for the 3 possible start for marine and 3 alien team location for the 3 possible start for alien ;) if you want :) (in a map where they are 6 tech point ;) )
    <!--quoteo(post=1826050:date=Jan 21 2011, 07:04 PM:name=meb2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (meb2 @ Jan 21 2011, 07:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->random hives are ###### retarded and if you think anything other than that youre a mother ###### idiot<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i like meb1 better, just sayin..
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    That's why you vote meb for PR lead, and meb2 for trollmonster of the year.