How far away are engine performance improvements?

zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
Just a question to any dev/teammember. How far away are *significant* improvements to the 3d performance in NS2?

Since a lot of players are having problems getting good frames, myself included, i'm wondering how high this particular issue is on the dev's to-do list.

Comments

• PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1822745:date=Jan 8 2011, 10:40 PM:name=zeep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zeep @ Jan 8 2011, 10:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a question to any dev/teammember. How far away are *significant* improvements to the 3d performance in NS2?

Since a lot of players are having problems getting good frames, myself included, i'm wondering how high this particular issue is on the dev's to-do list.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats very hard to say, on my "medium" system its playable with 20-30 frames.
    You have to understand what is responsible for the "low" fps, like the flamethrower effects and stuff.
    I play the game since its alpha and i can say, every build it goes better and better, just keep patience.
    Nobody can realy answer "how far away the improvements are, i guess.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Yes. But since NS2 leans pretty much on CPU only at the moment, i figured at some point the coders will 'switch' those rendering functions to the GPU, increasing overall performance.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    UW's is currently focused on server performance. I know they have a very long list of improvements slated for clients (rendering engine). So, these will come in time.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    We've seen <i>significant</i> performance increases with almost every patch. Just saying.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1822745:date=Jan 8 2011, 04:40 PM:name=zeep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zeep @ Jan 8 2011, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a question to any dev/teammember. How far away are *significant* improvements to the 3d performance in NS2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

|WORST|-------------------------------------------------------------|CURRENT BUILD|----------------------------------------------|BEST|
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    edited January 2011
    It runs fine for me.

<!--coloro:#000--><span style="color:#000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->nevermind that I have a 3.0 hex-core cpu<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yeah, its had major performance improvements since the alpha, but its still far from good. AFAIK, UWE is planning to optimize enough to allow a playable 32 person server, so we should see some massive improvements in the next weeks (months).
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    it will happen when it happens

everybody is wondering this, you're not alone, but threads like this change nothing for the better
    isn't it enough with significant improvements every patch?
    last patch (160) gave me ~50% more fps
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Yep last patch was an insane improvement for me. Need lots more though.
  • ctoon6ctoon6 Join Date: 2007-06-15 Member: 61256Members
    a recent twitter post "<a href="http://twitter.com/#!/NS2/status/23566297262460929" target="_blank">Fixed approximately one thousand bugs today, but sadly there are some more that are preventing us from releasing today... sorry!</a>".

That may or may not give "significant" performance improvement. you can probably except this update Tuesday or Wednesday, but I am not UWE so they might make you wait till Friday :P
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lots of people are being affected by lots of different performance issues, it's impossible for them to predict exactly when you'll see the biggest improvement. Performance fixes are ongoing, though I'm guessing the most significant ones will happen sooner rather than later.
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    Tbh, the question how far the performance improvements are progressed is the wrong question, since it implies that you have a "best" state. ;)
    In game development there is no best performance state for everyone, since the overall performance is affected by so many variables (like server hardware, server connection, player hardware, player connection). So the general aim is to constantly improve it.
    If you compare the last builds, all got a performance improvement in a specific area. 161 will continue that by improving the performance for the marine commander by removing flash for the interface, and serverside you'll see an impact due to the change in physics, which will benefit all players.
    162 will most likely remove the alien commander flash interface, and eventually leading to a complete removal of the flash system in game, which will again be a benefit for everyone.
    I doubt that there will be the one patch which will flip the switch and everybody get's 500 fps and a lag free game. But you'll see a constant imrpovement with every patch released, sometimes smaller, sometimes larger steps, but the important part is the direction it's heading to :)
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    A number of good perf improvements are coming in the next patch (probably in the next day or two), check out the News -> Progress page at the top under 'technical tasks'.

It's an ongoing thing though; but the next batch of changes should help a lot too.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    The best thing you can do at this point is to just wait patiently. Even after this next patch, the game won't be running perfectly. It's going to be a long road to getting NS2 running smoothly on a wide variety of computers, so getting excited for a single fix-it-all patch will only disappoint.