NS2 on rockpapershotgun

whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
its about halfway down under "OTHER CONTENDERS FOR POSSIBLE EXCITEMENT AND HYPETALK"

<a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/03/the-exciting-list-of-2011s-excitements/" target="_blank">http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/03...1s-excitements/</a>

Comments

• zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Natural Selection 2. It feels like a lifetime since Unknown Worlds embarked on their project of turning the sequel to a Half-Life mod into a commercial RTS/FPS hybrid, and the final stages of that project are now underway. With the beta underway, <!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->we should see the game arrive within the next few weeks<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->, all being well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    That is entirely over-optimistic. Fall 2011 is what I'd expect. Possibly on Halloween.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    next couple of weeks?? =/ not sure who told him that but the state ns2 is in now deff not going to happen... atleast i hope not
  • CymenCymen Join Date: 2010-12-10 Member: 75593Members
    edited January 2011
    OH GOD THE EXPECTATIONS!!!!!! DX
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Obviously he took the term Beta and thought "hey it's a Beta, so it must be close to release..."

Indeed we've been down that road a few times on here, haven't we :P
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    Another interpretation would be that RPS has inside information, after all they are gaming journalists and it's their job to accurately report on games.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    NS2HD's latest video still shows glitches (fps stutter/latency issues) on build 161. Now of course these might get smoothed out by the hand of Max, but there are still so many features not in yet. Onos has not even been revealed yet, let's go down the list :P

<ul><li>FPS stutter</li><li>Server load/crash</li><li>Hyrda/sentry issues</li><li>Missing marine classes: Jetpack, Minigunner, Exoskeleton</li><li>Missing buildings: Shade, Shift, Robotics Factory, Prototype Laboratory</li><li>Dynamic Infestation</li><li>ARC</li><li>Skulk: Carapace, Feed, Bloodthirst</li><li>Gorge: Bacteria, Corpulence</li><li>Lerk: Roost, Adrenaline, Piercing</li><li>Fade: Feint, Sap</li><li>Onos</li><li>In general the maps: rockdown (small), tram (doesn't run to well), junction (tiny) and mineshaft. Seems a bit low on content</li></ul>

I've seen lot's of journalists make mistakes or simply are misinformed (in this case overhyping?). Hmm, the list seems small, but the task it HUGE. Unless UWE is holding out on us, which is completely within their right of course :P
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1821210:date=Jan 3 2011, 06:40 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 3 2011, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2HD's latest video still shows glitches (fps stutter/latency issues) on build 161. Now of course these might get smoothed out by the hand of Max, but there are still so many features not in yet. Onos has not even been revealed yet, let's go down the list :P

<ul><li>FPS stutter</li><li>Server load/crash</li><li>Hyrda/sentry issues</li><li>Missing marine classes: Jetpack, Minigunner, Exoskeleton</li><li>Missing buildings: Shade, Shift, Robotics Factory, Prototype Laboratory</li><li>Dynamic Infestation</li><li>ARC</li><li>Skulk: Carapace, Feed, Bloodthirst</li><li>Gorge: Bacteria, Corpulence</li><li>Lerk: Roost, Adrenaline, Piercing</li><li>Fade: Feint, Sap</li><li>Onos</li><li>In general the maps: rockdown (small), tram (doesn't run to well), junction (tiny) and mineshaft. Seems a bit low on content</li></ul>

I've seen lot's of journalists make mistakes or simply are misinformed (in this case overhyping?). Hmm, the list seems small, but the task it HUGE. Unless UWE is holding out on us, which is completely within their right of course :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mm, if it really is released within the next few weeks, either UWE has some amazing ability to program that they've held off until now, or they're going for the "release it buggy, get money, patch it up after 80% of the community has left." approach. :P
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1821163:date=Jan 3 2011, 10:37 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jan 3 2011, 10:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is entirely over-optimistic. Fall 2011 is what I'd expect. Possibly on Halloween.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is what most of us are expecting.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1821210:date=Jan 3 2011, 05:40 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 3 2011, 05:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've seen lot's of journalists make mistakes or simply are misinformed (in this case overhyping?). Hmm, the list seems small, but the task it HUGE. Unless UWE is holding out on us, which is completely within their right of course :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that's the case. There will be quite a few levels we've not been allowed to see so far, after all their tiny team expands to a larger amount of remote mappers.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1821210:date=Jan 3 2011, 01:40 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 3 2011, 01:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've seen lot's of journalists make mistakes or simply are misinformed (in this case overhyping?). Hmm, the list seems small, but the task it HUGE. Unless UWE is holding out on us, which is completely within their right of course :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well, the task list hasn't been updated in over a week, so maybe they've cranked out some surprises for us in the new year :P
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Everyone deserves a good deserved holiday over Christmas and New Year. Don't hold your breath.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    Seems pretty stupid on their part to make a prediction like that, i would like to see the game in a release ready state by summer, its what i would expect to be honest but i don't mind when as long as its good and generates a decent sized community giving us more maps and game modes, i also hope we're not stuck with just two themes, they really should add a bunch of artwork and props that are more general.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    I think he was just making a guess about us releasing in the next few weeks, because we sure didn't tell him that, and are definitely not planning a release that soon. Still, its nice to be mentioned on that list.

--Cory
  • syprosypro Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69195Members
    Max his old buddies are on the list aswell with Grim Dawn \o/
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1821204:date=Jan 3 2011, 05:23 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jan 3 2011, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another interpretation would be that RPS has inside information, after all they are gaming journalists and it's their job to accurately report on games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I love your optimism but you only have to look at Kotaku to know that games journalists are idiots.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1821204:date=Jan 4 2011, 01:23 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jan 4 2011, 01:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another interpretation would be that RPS has inside information, after all they are gaming journalists and it's their job to accurately report on games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Technically a blog, though. Also, considering NS2 was essentially under 'other mentions', I doubt they did the research, and instead it's a fan's hope.

<!--quoteo(post=1821221:date=Jan 4 2011, 02:05 AM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Jan 4 2011, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this is what most of us are expecting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm in the 2012 camp. If people can play if they pre-order anyway, I don't see any reason whatsoever to rush into 1.0, barring them running out of money, of course.* But they can just generate more pre-orders, and their cost overhead isn't as large as a AAA game.
    *Oh, there is also the consideration of competitors, I guess.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i'm actually optimistic about release date, i think we might hit something releasable in late q2 or q3 of 2011, but with balance patches ongoing into 2012. (hoping)
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    "With the beta underway, we should see the game arrive within the next few weeks, all being well. "
    Hahahahaaa!
    -wipes a tear-
    ahhh...