To all commanders out there ... Alien or Marine

kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
Speak up.
Text up.
or give me waypoints.

I don't care if you don't know what your doing...I don't either.

If you don't we run off into separate directions ...in small groups of two.
just saying.

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
  • ArcadianArcadian Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65617Members
    edited May 2011
  • antarezantarez Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20018Members
    hört, hört ?

this alien commander thing just does not get me, im open to everything, but it does not get me :/

want to have tasklist as commander, where i can make entries that are visible to everyone...

dunno if this hits the topic of this threat....
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    I've gotta say, it's annoying when a commander says over the mic 'node reserves, node reserves, node reserves' when you're first starting out - however, I now know the names of <b>three</b> locations of that map: marine start, alien start, and node reserves. Give me an order. Give me a waypoint. Tell me what you want me to do, where it is and how to get there.
    Or maybe I'm just pissed at that one fade that devastated us over and over, and <b>harassed the ###### out of Node Reserves</b>.

<!--quoteo(post=1820223:date=Dec 30 2010, 03:12 PM:name=antarez)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antarez @ Dec 30 2010, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hört, hört ?

this alien commander thing just does not get me, im open to everything, but it does not get me :/

want to have tasklist as commander, where i can make entries that are visible to everyone...

dunno if this hits the topic of this threat....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For you: <i><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112031" target="_blank">Task/Objective system for commander orders</a>, Dramatically improving team play and organisation for a team</i>
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speak up.
    Text up.
    or give me waypoints.

I don't care if you don't know what your doing...I don't either.

If you don't we run off into separate directions ...in small groups of two.
    just saying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Join a game with me as comm. I assure you, you will not be let down. Although if I am drinking (usually wednesdays) I tend to yell the name rather then give way points :) I am not one to toot my own horn but I have lost very few games as comm :)
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    If you're playing rockdown really just run forward and kill aliens.

There isn't really much strategy on it.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    The rounds start to quickly after the first players join. So the action begins before even half of your team has actually joined. So there's no time to lay down your strategy, and people just randomly take off after they spawn. The countdown for the start of the round needs to be increased imo.

Has anyone tried a reloc on Rockdown yet? If people know what's going on a reloc to West Wing looks like an easy victory to me.
  • HolepuncherHolepuncher Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76021Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820265:date=Dec 30 2010, 04:43 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Dec 30 2010, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820265"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The rounds start to quickly after the first players join. So the action begins before even half of your team has actually joined. So there's no time to lay down your strategy, and people just randomly take off after they spawn. The countdown for the start of the round needs to be increased imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a big deal. Since rushing a 2nd com in rockdown is the #1 strategy right now, having your teammates slowly trickle in over the course of a few minutes can really throw off your early-game goals.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Well, most of the problem now is that not many players know where the rooms are, so if you ask them to go in an specific room they stop and ask "where the hell is".
    And with waypoints, some players don't know where the vents are and move around the full map in circles, or they just don't look at the waypoint and go straight death path.

I have found that on a normal game no more than 2 players know the map. Of course this happened to me on some games, and I saw the NS2HD videos where you see more players knowing the paths.

Anyway, I should add one more thing to the list:
    * Comm, if you see a lonely marine on the other side of the map and you are losing, go with him and rebuild the base on his point. Don't start ranting against him for being rambo dude, use him to recover from a certain gg.