Lerk Roost and Gorge Damage Soak

QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
<div class="IPBDescription">Intentionally removed?</div>Both these were great abilities...why were they removed for the beta? Never got an explanation from UWE, as they were just removed without seeing anything on the progress page about it. I especially miss the gorge damage soak ability.

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Yeah, never got the chance to try those out... just wanna know if they're still planned for final release :)!
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1819959:date=Dec 29 2010, 12:40 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Dec 29 2010, 12:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, never got the chance to try those out... just wanna know if they're still planned for final release :)!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lerk roost was in 151 i think. i liked it. but i could see how it would be overpowered.
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    I think lerk roost should def still be in and by the damage soak do you mean the gorge sheild? yea i was wondering where that went
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    Yeah. At least would make the "battle medic" role of the Gorge a bit more playable. Right now his belly just shouts out "Shoot me!". And marines don't hesitate to.
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    Honestly I find the gorge almost unplayable outside of acting as a heal ###### when theres a fade hitting main cc and you hide round the corner.

I just got an awesome idea for a marine tech upgrade! gorge saddles. Capture enemy gorges and ride those ######s into battle

but really the gorge is kind of useless atm.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Guess I missed out on seeing both those features. What was roosting like? For what reason was it considered overpowered?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819999:date=Dec 29 2010, 11:27 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Dec 29 2010, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guess I missed out on seeing both those features. What was roosting like? For what reason was it considered overpowered?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've got no idea why roosting would be considered overpowered. Most of the more experienced NS1 folks were quite puzzled about an ability that makes you a total sitting duck in a more or less movement based game. I don't know how it was supposed to justify its presence, but apparently it didn't fit in after all.

I guess you could turn it into overpowered by some huge numerical buffs on damage reduction, spike damage, adren/HP regen or so, but I never got to try the thing in action so no comments on that.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Roost was where you could hold jump down near a ceiling and stay there. Only problem was that you would still slide around a bit, so maybe they couldn't fix that bug, I don't know. As far as the gorge shield, it was perfect, and even had all the animations (see the original gorge reveal video). I just find it odd both were removed and UWE never said anything about it.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    What a pity, I thought it just wasnt in the game yet ( lerk roost ).
    Was looking forward to using that ability, imagine hanging on a tall roof with your wings wrapped around you presenting visually a small narrow profile, and watching a squad of marines walk past underneath you. You report the marines position to your team and either detach and attack the squad or detach and move to where the marines came from.

At the moment the whole lerk is overpowered , and I cant see how roost could be removed due to being OP... I mean hello, unlimited spikes which do as much or more damage as LMG's with a really tight spread, a area effect spore attack and a sniper spike that can 1 shot any marine that has taken even a slight amount of damage ( a bit of spore damage and its a 1 shot sniper spike ).
    This isnt including the fact that the lerk is freaking hard to hit because of its mobility, and can soak up a repectable amount of damage.
    ( Lerk is my prefered alien lifeform to use but I feel dirty because it is too easy, I usually die because I get too complacent and try to be too cute :P )

Speaking of which, why is the Lerk spikes ( not the sniper spike ) so accurate compared to the LMG's ? It feels like the spikes have very little spread, where as using a LMG feels like using a water hose with a stick jammed into it ( ie the bullets go everywhere bar the aiming reticle ).
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1820013:date=Dec 29 2010, 02:52 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Dec 29 2010, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Roost was where you could hold jump down near a ceiling and stay there. Only problem was that you would still slide around a bit, so maybe they couldn't fix that bug, I don't know.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe roost was never actually in the game. I'm not sure of course, but staying at the ceiling while holding jump seemed more like a glide bug. Like the lerk kept moving upwards for some time.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1820014:date=Dec 29 2010, 09:54 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Dec 29 2010, 09:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the moment the whole lerk is overpowered , and I cant see how roost could be removed due to being OP... I mean hello, unlimited spikes which do as much or more damage as LMG's with a really tight spread, a area effect spore attack and a sniper spike that can 1 shot any marine that has taken even a slight amount of damage ( a bit of spore damage and its a 1 shot sniper spike ).
    This isnt including the fact that the lerk is freaking hard to hit because of its mobility, and can soak up a repectable amount of damage.

Speaking of which, why is the Lerk spikes ( not the sniper spike ) so accurate compared to the LMG's ? It feels like the spikes have very little spread, where as using a LMG feels like using a water hose with a stick jammed into it ( ie the bullets go everywhere bar the aiming reticle ).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good to know it wasn't just me that experienced this. I've said this a few times. Why is the Lerk superior to the Marines <b>at ranged attacking</b>? That doesn't make any ###### sense.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I dont remember roost ever being in the game. Maybe it was but it certainly didn't work for me.

Gorge shield was fun and useful.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819996:date=Dec 29 2010, 05:59 AM:name=Rulgrok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rulgrok @ Dec 29 2010, 05:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...

but really the gorge is kind of useless atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do agree that the gorge hasn't reached the potential realized in NS1, but he's far from useless. Just the other day on rockdown a lerk and I(as a gorge) had one side of marine start totally cutoff for the entire game. Two players preventing a six man team from getting through. Hydras and healspray will do a lot.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1820050:date=Dec 29 2010, 06:40 PM:name=Pistachio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pistachio @ Dec 29 2010, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do agree that the gorge hasn't reached the potential realized in NS1, but he's far from useless. Just the other day on rockdown a lerk and I(as a gorge) had one side of marine start totally cutoff for the entire game. Two players preventing a six man team from getting through. Hydras and healspray will do a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    not vs nades you didn't
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820050:date=Dec 29 2010, 12:40 PM:name=Pistachio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pistachio @ Dec 29 2010, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do agree that the gorge hasn't reached the potential realized in NS1, but he's far from useless. Just the other day on rockdown a lerk and I(as a gorge) had one side of marine start totally cutoff for the entire game. Two players preventing a six man team from getting through. <u>Hydras and healspray</u> will do a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No one, on either team, likes a hydra spamming gorge. I keep finding games that started lag free and then get borderline unplayable because a gorge thinks that hydra are so underpowered that they need to fill entire rooms with them, and that somehow this is appropriate behavior when marines get gl/ft. One game got so bad that i really need to thank the aliens for cussing that gorge off the server.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    lerk roost was in the game. i swear it! it was back when the game was REALLY unplayable.

let's not turn this into a "lerk is op, bring back bite" thread.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820028:date=Dec 29 2010, 11:29 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 29 2010, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good to know it wasn't just me that experienced this. I've said this a few times. Why is the Lerk superior to the Marines <b>at ranged attacking</b>? That doesn't make any ###### sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It doesn't have to make sense. NS2 is a video game. Furthermore, NS2 is NS2.

Also, lerk costs 30 plasma. Marines cost 0 plasma.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually, it does make sense. Imagine how good your aim would be if you grew up with spike launchers on your head...
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820111:date=Dec 29 2010, 11:51 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Dec 29 2010, 11:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, it does make sense. Imagine how good your aim would be if you grew up with spike launchers on your head...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True story.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Just because it costs to evolve into a Lerk doesnt mean it must dominate Marines, its suppose to lurk in shadows and support attacks ... not decimate the Marine ranks.

The biggest issue is more with the energy cost of the Lerks abilities than anything else, the cost vs energy recovery is currently such that a Lerk can fire spikes constantly , or spam spores constantly ... only sniper spikes consume significant energy.
    This makes the lerk function a lot like a machine gun nest, except he can resort to gassing targets or switching up to snipe a ranged target at will.
    I wouldnt want bite back in, who wants a flying skulk but I would increase the energy costs of spikes and spores significantly so a Lerk cant just constantly spam spores and spikes.

... and sort out the LMG spray, ie take out the bloody stick out the muzzle of the gun and let it shoot straight :P

It costs how much to buy a Shotgun ( if its been researched in the first place ) , that doesnt give the Marine a bandolier of CN24 ( made up name) nerve gas , extended mags and a scope plus uranium cased slugs for ammo.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    Both roost and damage soak were removed when the new alien UI went in. And roost most certainly was in game and not a glide bug. Can we please get a UWE comment on this. Cory?
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Way to fix:

Make Lerk Snipe slower refire rate
    Make Lerk regular Spike spread more (require close strafing).

Done!
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    My <i>guess</i> is that they are now intended to be upgrades.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1820105:date=Dec 30 2010, 06:37 AM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Dec 30 2010, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesn't have to make sense. NS2 is a video game. Furthermore, NS2 is <b>NS</b>2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exactly. And in Natural Selection, you have two teams: Melee aliens, and ranged marines. Aliens are superior at melee distance. Marines are superior at range - wait, no they aren't. The aliens have the Lerk, whose ranged weapons are superior to every marine weapon that they can field, at range.

<!--quoteo(post=1820105:date=Dec 30 2010, 06:37 AM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Dec 30 2010, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, lerk costs 30 plasma. Marines cost 0 plasma.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Everyone uses this excuse. Using "more resources = more firepower" as the only balancing factor will make for a <b>mediocre <i>RTS</i></b> maybe, but for an RTS/<b>FPS</b> (or even any RTS that wants to be decent), it's a terrible, terrible idea. That reasoning justifies a high-resource-cost game-ending nuke.

When you're considering costs, the thing you have to consider is <b>not</b> the <u>flat cost</u> of the object of interest, but its <u>opportunity cost</u>. <b>Resources mean nothing if you don't use them.</b> At some point in time, any unspent resources represent wasted resources. So then you must assume that resources will always be spent - on a lifeform or upgrades.

What's the likelihood that a player will be able to gather 60 plasma (two lerk "lives")? Very high. Then, will the player be unable to go Lerk again if it goes Lerk now? No. If more expensive is better, why doesn't the player play a higher lifeform? He chooses not to. If the player only has 30 plasma, what can't he additionally do, or get, if he evolves into a Lerk? Nothing. What does the team lose by the player choosing to go Lerk? Nothing. Then, what does a player <b>forego</b> by (what is the <b>opportunity cost</b> of) going Lerk? <u>Nothing.</u>

Then, is having the resource cost of the object of interest as the <u>primary balancing factor</u> <i>reasonable</i> in this case (and many others)? <u>No.</u>
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    They probably want to implement more features before nerfing.
    or perhaps they are looking for another tactic.

They certainly do not want to nerf him so much as in NS1...where he became hardly played.

What are the lerk's current weaknesses?
    From what i noticed, the fact that they play like a sniper...allows you to sneak up right next to them.
    and then what should i be using because the LMG is a spray weapon, useful for spraying skulks off my feet.

So what is the tactic(s), perhaps it become a tooltip...
  • HolepuncherHolepuncher Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76021Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820127:date=Dec 29 2010, 04:22 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Dec 29 2010, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The biggest issue is more with the energy cost of the Lerks abilities than anything else, the cost vs energy recovery is currently such that a Lerk can fire spikes constantly , or spam spores constantly ... only sniper spikes consume significant energy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this.
    The main problem imo is the super low energy cost of the spikes. Lerks essentially get more accurate LMGs that never run out of ammo and never need to be reloaded. Either reduce the accuracy or increase the energy cost and spikes will be more balanced.
  • kamikaze03kamikaze03 Join Date: 2010-08-03 Member: 73454Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820142:date=Dec 29 2010, 09:16 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Dec 29 2010, 09:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Way to fix:

Make Lerk Snipe slower refire rate
    Make Lerk regular Spike spread more (require close strafing).

Done!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think instead of making the spikes have a wide spread, I would rather them be affected by gravity. This means that at close range they go more or less where you aim but at long range the "bullet drop" would mean they would have to be used more skillfully.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I thought they already droop a bit.

Hm, yeah, adding in more drop (i.e. Medic's TF2 syringe gun) would help.
  • HolepuncherHolepuncher Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76021Members
    I like this idea, but they would have to make it a little easier to see where the spikes are going
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1820359:date=Dec 30 2010, 03:39 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Dec 30 2010, 03:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought they already droop a bit.

Hm, yeah, adding in more drop (i.e. Medic's TF2 syringe gun) would help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This would be great, keeps true to the Kharaa close-combat nature. It's pretty ridiculous being able to spike the Power Node when you're at the east end of the Marine spawn hallway on Rockdown :(