Barriers

LepockLepock Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71067Members
I know its kind of what welding doors are for, but what if (also or instead) you could construct barriers. Structures meant to do nothing but block doorways and sink damage. I mean its already being done with the armory, just make an official structure to do it.

Main problems would be barrier spam and commanders screwing over their team i guess.

You could make it a force field that only lets the marines pass, then its actually better than welding a door shut.

To prevent spam I guess it would need to be expensive or take a long time to build or they can't be placed close to each other.

Just throwing it out there, could be a real game changer.

Comments

• louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    good idea, my thoughts:

Make it constructable by macs... marines can help of course.

This barrier will have 3000 health, an IP is 2500 and a command station is 10000 so this is okay i think.

this barrier will be a cresent shaped object, it will be about 2 meters wide and 10 CM thick.

the barrier will be made of soild metal matierials, it will have a opening in the middle at marine eye level for seeing and shooting out of.

this barrier is rotatable?

i dont know but the idea of a barrier is good against those stupid gorge spammers (hydras)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    I guess if you made it thin, like a wall, and maybe slightly wider than the armory, but about the same or more cost, and about the same or more durability, it'd be good. I mean, considering you're using the armory for that purpose anyway.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited December 2010
    i always thought it would be cool do to garry's mod style welding. so you could for example pull out a grate from the floor, and then weld it across a vent so skulks couldn't get through.
    or weld a few tables together and block a hallway.

maybe for NS3 :)

as you mentioned in your post though, i think it would be more annoying for marines than the aliens (does it really add anythign to the gameplay?)- althought perhaps a great way to "encourage" marines to go the way you want as commander LOL :D

basically i really would love the idea for marines to have more of a construction role when it comes to making a base - not quite minecraft, but sorta
  • T_RATT_RAT Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10967Members, Reinforced - Gold
    To me it already feels like theres enough things in the way, skulk at your feet, armory in the way, hydra spitting at you . + corridors are quite thin.
    More of a construction role would be good though.
    Maybe a item needing 2 marines to build, could be interesting. a lot harder.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    for sure.

and for example a commander doesn't magically drop buildings, he drops a crate which is full parts that need to be put together.

even turrerts, the commander drops and undeployed turret and the players need to move it to a suitable location and then build it - kinda like hl2.
  • Sugar70Sugar70 Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76031Members
    More of a construction role would be good though.