record demo?

DeTeNaDeTeNa Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75751Members
Hi,
is there any way or command to record a demo while playing the game? Like in counter-strike or half life?
That would be great.

Comments

• ownosownos Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75124Members
    Demos/replays are definitely going to have a huge influence for the competitiveness of NS2.
    Although spectator mode is already implemented, the ability to save one's games for later review of the whole match is just a best-seller golden nugget that would be awesome in any competitive game.

Ladder/tournament websites would be able to host whole matches, and matches will soon get infamous status in the community as players review them for their epicness.

I think this is demanding implementationwise though, I can't be the one who says it is, but my first impression of storing this much data and being able to observe it. I dunno, it would be awesome if it was in :)
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    The devs are well aware of this, they have said in the past that these things are very important for them, but I wouldn't expect to see much before late beta or even after the initial release.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I can't wait for demo record either. Though to me it seems like it would be a huge task to implement. Anyone know how other demo recording systems actually work? I imagine an NS2 recorder will make an appearence some time post-release.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Only current option is to record it in real-time with a screen capture program like fraps (I assume that's what you use, NS2HD). However, it would be nice to have an installed demo recording system (like the <a href="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Demo_Recording_Tools" target="_blank">Source Demo Recorder</a>). Not sure if this is possible, but if the demo could capture all of the action in the map, rather than just the area around the player, that would be great.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    I might be a little off target here, because I haven't recorded any video game videos in years, but last time I checked WeGame was the champ. <a href="http://www.wegame.com/" target="_blank">http://www.wegame.com/</a> Unfortunately, I believe they only support certain titles due to technical limitations, but if enough people push for NS2 to be included in that list, it'd be good PR. And we'd have an awesome video recording client option.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819620:date=Dec 27 2010, 01:32 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Dec 27 2010, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't wait for demo record either. Though to me it seems like it would be a huge task to implement. Anyone know how other demo recording systems actually work? I imagine an NS2 recorder will make an appearence some time post-release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

AFAIK it records all player actions as they are sent to/from the server, and then recreates a null server where all the recorded actions are played back by proxy actors.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    Demo recording would be something to target for post-release.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819679:date=Dec 27 2010, 10:25 AM:name=PseudoKnight)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PseudoKnight @ Dec 27 2010, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Demo recording would be something to target for post-release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

....unless it's a feature UW wants in their v1 release....in which case they would target it for the v1 release....probably sooner so it could be tested....
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    +1 for adding demo recording.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819620:date=Dec 26 2010, 05:32 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Dec 26 2010, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone know how other demo recording systems actually work?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Trackmania nations/united forever automatically keeps replays and has an actual replay editor so you can change camera views/positions or focus on any number of particular racers or even first person view (nose cone) on the track. This would be so perfect for NS2.

(Nations=Free Version----United=Paid Version)