Designing your map around the Onos

LandironLandiron Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75355Members
<div class="IPBDescription">He's sooo fat</div>Anybody else having a hard time while planning your map because of this monster with it's size ?

Since my map is using a spaceship setting, I wanted to limit the available space in the corridors between the different rooms somewhat to retain an oppressive atmosphere.

In addition to the fact that it's (afaik) yet unknown how the Onos will affect gameplay, is this bulky ###### giving me a hard time with his sheer height that denies him access to any believable looking environment and, in particular doors I could come up with :X

Hence, I hope someone can enlighten me with some suggestions how to plan my map with the Onos in mind.

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    You don't have to make every route open to the Onos. Maybe you could focus on making one main route adapt to the size of the beast?
  • LandironLandiron Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75355Members
    Well, at first that was what I had in mind, but since nobody knows how they'll implement the Onos it's hard to plan how it would affect the balance and gameplay between marines and aliens if I limit his movement too much ;)
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    One at a time can pass through the generic double door. If you design everything in proportion it shouldn't be a problem.
  • hookeyedhookeyed Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62011Members, Squad Five Blue
    most of my corridors are 128" - 196" high, and still seem fairly cramped. Considering using more wire props and keep the ceiling poorly lit, that makes it feel smaller than it is.
  • UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    Just make the hallways wider/taller then? Its Sci-Fi - there is no "realistic" height. Imagine that the hallway you are making is also intended to transport machinery and cargo if you really want to get into the theme...
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @OP: Be sure and read through the Mapping Guidelines. They provide some useful info about the Onos and how it's expected to be handled. Long story short, as it stands, the Onos is only expected to be allowed in the "primary paths" in a level and not the side/secondary paths.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1818796:date=Dec 23 2010, 02:56 PM:name=hookeyed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hookeyed @ Dec 23 2010, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->most of my corridors are 128" - 196" high, and still seem fairly cramped. Considering using more wire props and keep the ceiling poorly lit, that makes it feel smaller than it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

128 is fine for one onos, but what if some clown drops a hydra there with a crag, then your onos is real mad.

guidelines say that the onos has to be able to get at every tech point and every node. and i assume the exo will be wide like the onos as well.

i've remade the majority of my thin halls into onos smashable door width and almost twice as high (i like skulks to be able to camp above those doors.
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    I usually keep 1 hallway open that's large enough for an Oni to walk through it and tear up the Marine Start, however, you also need some hallways that'll keep them out. Design 2 or 3 hallways that lead out of the marine spawn for defense, as well as offense for both teams.