2 for 1 normal game, ###### spec edition

OpolEOpolE Join Date: 2008-04-10 Member: 64057Members
I got ###### all out of alpha, and pennies worth out of what ive played so far

Just sayin' id rather have the 2 normal games offer right now than having ever bought 1 copy Spec Edition

Pretty ###### annoying wouldn't ya say?

Comments

• SyderoSydero Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67882Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818070:date=Dec 21 2010, 07:44 PM:name=OpolE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OpolE @ Dec 21 2010, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818070"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got ###### all out of alpha, and pennies worth out of what ive played so far

Just sayin' id rather have the 2 normal games offer right now than having ever bought 1 copy Spec Edition

Pretty ###### annoying wouldn't ya say?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why didn't you pay for the normal $20 one if you didn't see any value in the special edition?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    Your money did go to the development of the game so....
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1818070:date=Dec 22 2010, 01:44 AM:name=OpolE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OpolE @ Dec 22 2010, 01:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818070"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got ###### all out of alpha, and pennies worth out of what ive played so far

You bought the special edition and didn't get access to alpha? That's odd. Did you contact support?
  • OpolEOpolE Join Date: 2008-04-10 Member: 64057Members
    I said i got nothing out of alpha, meaning it either never connected me or was so laggy and buggy and theres always been a fair few moaners facebook but this is my first time and im moaning here because i rekon most people would have thought ###### that il get the christmas deal if they had known that the stages leading up were not very fun at all
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    And this is relevant now... why?

Sorry that didn't come out right. I mean the game does run much more smoother. And back in alpha it wasn't to be expected to run, but for some it did. which I find amazing in itself... But this "bad press" has no relevance when the game is actually getting there currently...
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I would agree with the general sentiment, if I had known this offer would be available I probably wouldn't have bothered with SE. A good christmas present for someone I like is worth far more than silly armor.
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    But if no one took up the SE, the game probably shouldn't have got made.
    Don't worry so much about the game being devalued by the xmas offer, it was a damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Besides your PC will have lost more value then this game since you purchased it.

Relax and think of it as a karmic deposit.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I was more concerned that someone won't be getting a christmas present this year who could be. Although certainly the 20 20 hindsight advantage is obvious. If I knew the future I probably would do a lot of things different.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818070:date=Dec 21 2010, 07:44 PM:name=OpolE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OpolE @ Dec 21 2010, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818070"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got ###### all out of alpha, and pennies worth out of what ive played so far

So you couldn't run the alpha, oh well. Neither could I. I bought the Special Edition, and I have no regrets. A good chunk of my money went into the development of NS2. That's all that really matters.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1818142:date=Dec 22 2010, 04:06 AM:name=OpolE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OpolE @ Dec 22 2010, 04:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I said i got nothing out of alpha, meaning it either never connected me or was so laggy and buggy and theres always been a fair few moaners facebook but this is my first time and im moaning here because i rekon most people would have thought ###### that il get the christmas deal if they had known that the stages leading up were not very fun at all<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

An alpha is by definition an unfinished, incomplete and broken product. You got what you paid for. You have no one but yourself to blame for not knowing what an alpha is and buying one with the wrong expectations.
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1818161:date=Dec 21 2010, 10:29 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 21 2010, 10:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was more concerned that someone won't be getting a christmas present this year who could be. Although certainly the 20 20 hindsight advantage is obvious. If I knew the future I probably would do a lot of things different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is a good and valid point but it's still a case that they needed the SE preorders to get to this stage to offer the xmas special.
    You could give prezzies to 2 people.... ;)
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I just don't get how someone can whine because there is a sale on something they've already bought (Over a year ago, at that.).

I payed extra for an alpha which I expected to be buggy as hell. I got an alpha that was buggy as hell. As a side bonus, I got to pay UWE back for never donating to Constellation and I got black armor.

$40 well spent IMO.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818142:date=Dec 21 2010, 11:06 PM:name=OpolE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OpolE @ Dec 21 2010, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I said i got nothing out of alpha, meaning it either never connected me or was so laggy and buggy and theres always been a fair few moaners facebook but this is my first time and im moaning here because i rekon most people would have thought ###### that il get the christmas deal if they had known that the stages leading up were not very fun at all<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You bought a pre-order to an unfinished game and could access the alpha. You need to figure out what you're buying before you buy it. I'm sorry you didn't.

If someone asked me to buy a preorder to an unfinished game, I'd tell them to take a hike until the game is released and gets at least 90/100 on metacritic and I've watched youtube videos made by players (not developers or game review sites). And then I'd try to give them a bad name if possible for acting like a shady sleaze ball.

NS2 was an exception because NS1 was fun and free. NS1 was worth 40$, and getting a copy of the sequel is cool too.
  • senor_hybridosenor_hybrido Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67687Members
    edited December 2010
    I'm surprised that there are people who didn't expect a sale like this 2-for-1 offer before. This is only the first discount to be offered since the day SE was removed, but it is not the last. Once it's on Steam, expect insane discounts within a year or two for every holiday the Americans celebrate. Just look at those indie bundles they are offering right now. Makes me wonder how many cents the devs are getting from them. Anyway the problem in our case is how long you're actually willing to wait while everyone else is playing the game, and how much you want to spend to support UWE.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1818196:date=Dec 22 2010, 12:30 AM:name=senor_hybrido)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (senor_hybrido @ Dec 22 2010, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm surprised that there are people who didn't expect a sale like this 2-for-1 offer before. This is only the first discount to be offered since the day SE was removed, but it is not the last. Once it's on Steam, expect insane discounts within a year or two for every holiday the Americans celebrate. Just look at those indie bundles they are offering right now. Makes me wonder how many cents the devs are getting from them. Anyway the problem in our case is how long you're actually willing to wait while everyone else is playing the game, and how much you want to spend to support UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sure we'll see sales left and right after it's been out a year or so. XD

Do keep in mind, though, that Steam always has permission from each of those games' owners whenever it puts on a sale. They carefully calculate each sale, and apparently they make more during the period of the sale than they would have in the same amount of time with no sale. (just a huge volume of purchases come in during every sale) I'm sure interviews have covered this before.

That being said, stuff is always cheaper a year later, no matter what you buy. (unless it goes out of print/becomes an antique) OP has no right to complain, of course.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818196:date=Dec 22 2010, 12:30 PM:name=senor_hybrido)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (senor_hybrido @ Dec 22 2010, 12:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm surprised that there are people who didn't expect a sale like this 2-for-1 offer before. This is only the first discount to be offered since the day SE was removed, but it is not the last. Once it's on Steam, expect insane discounts within a year or two for every holiday the Americans celebrate. Just look at those indie bundles they are offering right now. Makes me wonder how many cents the devs are getting from them. Anyway the problem in our case is how long you're actually willing to wait while everyone else is playing the game, and how much you want to spend to support UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heck yeah. I bought like 10 games this morning for 17 Australian.
  • TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818161:date=Dec 21 2010, 11:29 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 21 2010, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was more concerned that someone won't be getting a christmas present this year who could be. Although certainly the 20 20 hindsight advantage is obvious. If I knew the future I probably would do a lot of things different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't you dare go out to eat tomorrow. Stay in, eat spam... Someone won't get a Christmas present if you don't....

Anyways, at OP...
    Sorry bro, got what you paid for, and you can't go about life this way. It was a long time ago. Do you get this upset everytime a game goes on sale after you bought it?

And if it bothers you that much, buy another. 3 copies for a low low price =D
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    I get upset when anything goes on sale after I've bought it. I consider the difference a waste of funds. (This is heightened by my frugal upbringing (being Asian), my tiny savings and my tiny income (being a jobless student).)
    Sometimes, to cope, I will try to put a positive spin on it by looking at my <b>overall</b> expenditure over a day, or a week, or even a month, and compare that with a 'standard' expenditure which is ideally higher, thus achieving an <b>overall saving</b>; or if I'm really desperate, I'll delude myself into thinking 'it's for the community, or economy', 'it'll have a trickle-down effect', 'it'll come back around to reward me' (karmic deposit), or other such delusions.
    If you become a charitable person though (and to me, that just means making small donations by habit), this sense of loss of funds is diminished, as you just consider it another donation. Of course, that's just another delusion.
  • VengZVengZ Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69556Members
    I bought CoH (And expansions) off Steam... A few days later it was 75% off. My head could've exploded! When I got my next paycheck I forget about it... Thats just how it works. Nothing to do about it and you'll get over it xD
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818385:date=Dec 22 2010, 04:07 PM:name=VengZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VengZ @ Dec 22 2010, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats just how it works. Nothing to do about it and you'll get over it xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#ffff00--><span style="color:#ffff00"><!--/coloro-->^<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> This ;-)
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1818385:date=Dec 22 2010, 10:07 AM:name=VengZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VengZ @ Dec 22 2010, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought CoH (And expansions) off Steam... A few days later it was 75% off. My head could've exploded! When I got my next paycheck I forget about it... Thats just how it works. Nothing to do about it and you'll get over it xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I bought Global Agenda a couple weeks ago, and the same day I bought it for $30, a friend yelled at me, asked me where I got it from. Direct 2 Drive had it on sale for $10 XD

Oh well~
  • hyperrifthyperrift Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75714Members
    edited December 2010
    Purchasing Special Edition was an understanding that you would be helping to fund development, and if you expected the Alpha to be a finished, playable thing then I suppose you learned what Alpha means. Soft-betas that are typically seen in MMO's these days are just previews to build up interest in the game and serve as a demo.

I understand how you feel though, many years ago, when I got "early beta" access to Star Wars Galaxies - a game with a huge development team - I was disappointed that you could only log on during specific testing windows of perhaps 1 hour every few days, and be placed onto one planet (Tatooine) in the middle of an empty desert. That was their early beta.

Developing software myself, the idea of anything before Beta being usable is laughable, and even Beta products are intended for bug-fixes, optimization, stress testing, and iterative improvement based on feedback.

Personally, I considered my money payment for the thousands of hours of entertainment I had playing NS1. It is easily one of my most played games, perhaps second only to Tribes, and it was completely free. I might even buy a copy while it is on the holiday sale, which I can consider two gifts to give away.

Anyway, you thought SE was worth your money at the time, so try not to regret it.

edit: ###### yeah, just did. two copies for some friends at only 17$ a pop
  • MystiqqMystiqq Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11755Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1818385:date=Dec 22 2010, 10:07 AM:name=VengZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VengZ @ Dec 22 2010, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought CoH (And expansions) off Steam... A few days later it was 75% off. My head could've exploded! When I got my next paycheck I forget about it... Thats just how it works. Nothing to do about it and you'll get over it xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Similar thing for me with Left 4 Dead 2. Bought it for 20€ just to see it on sale the next day for 7€ and i think week or two after that for 5€. These things happen and lesson learned.

I don't think i would have invested in NS2 right now if it were not for this 2-for-1 deal...
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    edited December 2010
    The original post is certianly valid. This 2 for 1 offer is better than what I paid for as part of the Special Edition. The black armour looks pretty "meh" in it's current state (imo) and feels even more pointless with the power node/lighting system meaning entire sections of a map being dark for much of a game. Alpha/Beta versions thus far have been unplayable, more of an advanced engine test if anything, so other than giving UWE money as a "thank you" for NS1 or to aid development of NS2, the SE pre-order has been a pretty raw deal.

However, I don't expect UWE to turn around and offer us SE pre-order customers a new deal. They're not a big company with vast resources, so it's acceptable that they can't do anything for those of us who have "paid more for less" at an earlier stage.

What I will propose however is that once they fix the problems, get the game running smooth and looking good, i.e. when the game goes retail and doesn't have the kind of problems that would instantly put off non-NS regulars, UWE should give us Special Edition orderers some free gift-passes to get friends trying out NS2 for e.g. 7 days. A polished NS2 will be as addictive as they come, there's absolutely nothing like it in terms of gameplay, and I don't know about other people but me personally I'd like to get a few of my regular gamer friends hooked onto it too (ones who won't shell out for something they don't know anything about, especially a game as complex with a high learning curve as NS). I think this would be a good compromise for us pre-order folk, and could boost NS2 sales which would benefit UWE (so win-win).
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    hi, i'm tig. i have black armor. i got it for ridiculously cheap way back in the day. i wanted to be a part of molding the sequel to a game that i, like many others, spent a large chunk of time playing for free back in the day. i like this game and its open source nature so much, that i'm spending a ton of free time mapping for it and debugging.

i have purchased 4 copies of this game so far.

i had fun in ns, ns2 alpha, ns2 beta, and i can't wait for this game to be released in the fall of 2009.

my only regret is that i never donated and got my little golden battle gorge next to my name.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1819420:date=Dec 25 2010, 07:43 PM:name=rofldinho)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rofldinho @ Dec 25 2010, 07:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819420"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I will propose however is that once they fix the problems, get the game running smooth and looking good, i.e. when the game goes retail and doesn't have the kind of problems that would instantly put off non-NS regulars, UWE should give us Special Edition orderers some free gift-passes to get friends trying out NS2 for e.g. 7 days.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

or a gorge plushy, or glowing red eyes skulk skin. or both.