Beta (159) is laggier than alpha for me

mohdhmmohdhm Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73039Members
<div class="IPBDescription">wtf</div>hey guys,

in the past i've ran alpha on my macbook pro (2.2 dual core and 2gb of ram) on windows xp and the game was laggy due to connectivity and ping issues. I ran a server by myself on max graphics and everything was smooth. Now, months later i installed win 7. loaded the game up and i notice significant lag reduction when i'd lower the graphics... also it takes longer to open the game itself compared to before (when it opened instantly). It also takes longer to load the game if we forget about the connectivity issues in alpha for a second. Also, my ping at one point was the best in the server and i still couldn't aim if my life depended on it. I run starcraft 2 just fine so i'm pretty sure it is not a graphics issue, i'll still update the graphics card and try again in a few days (as i'm very busy at the moment and my precious time was taken up playing NS2 with about 5-10 fps.

any idea if this is a bug with the game, or what hardware issues could cause this?

Comments

• ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Its hard to tell , I played on a armory server running a 16 man tram map and I dropped my graphics to ridiculous / awful and the game ran horribly ... lagged out like crazy , black screened , double sounds , 5 ticks / sec server rate... nasty.
    A bit later I put my graphics up to max, joined the other armory server that had a 12 man rockdown map running and it was decent, occasional stuttering and couldnt hit sh...err... jack, but definetly playable.

Try playing on servers running less players, I think you need Skynets upgraded cousin to run a 16 man tram map server at this time.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    not only less players, but play on rockdown. Tram is not playable at the moment.
  • AtlantisThiefAtlantisThief Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75254Members
    mohdhm: Can you tell me your system specifications? Since i have 3.0 dual core and also 2gb ram, but i have to play it 1024*768 on awfull (the lowest settings) and i am happy if i reach above 20fps. My graphic is a ge-force 9400GT. Is this too old and too bad for this game already?
  • mohdhmmohdhm Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73039Members
    i'm running on Intel® Core ™2 Duo CPU , 2.00 GB RAM, 32 bit operating system, Nvidia Geforce. 9400M. Atlantis, after the game is released we should have no problems... i can already run mass effect 2 which has nice graphics imo. It is just i heard build 159 reduced the lag significantly, but that was not the case in my experience.
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    When you play a game open the console and type r_stats and net_stats, they might help you narrow down whether it's poor fps or a laggy server or something else.

For a little perspective, B159 was a huge improvement for me. My system is an Intel i7-950, 12GB RAM, Win7 64-bit, Nvidia GTX-470.
    <!--quoteo(post=1815917:date=Dec 14 2010, 09:30 PM:name=mohdhm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mohdhm @ Dec 14 2010, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm running on Intel® Core ™2 Duo CPU , 2.00 GB RAM, 32 bit operating system, Nvidia Geforce. 9400M. Atlantis, after the game is released we should have no problems... i can already run mass effect 2 which has nice graphics imo. It is just i heard build 159 reduced the lag significantly, but that was not the case in my experience.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just hope so, because i would be first of all angry on me, wasting my money on a game that i can't play on my computer, and then i would be sad, because i couldn't play it :(
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1815933:date=Dec 14 2010, 10:28 PM:name=AtlantisThief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AtlantisThief @ Dec 14 2010, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815933"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just hope so, because i would be first of all angry on me, wasting my money on a game that i can't play on my computer, and then i would be sad, because i couldn't play it :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Guys, it is not a waste of money if you can't run the game well yet on your computer. We are constantly optimizing the game, little by little, and are going to continue optimizing the heck out of it in as many ways that we can, in order to get it playable on high and low end systems. At the same time, we do have a game to make, so all the optimizing that is going to happen isn't going to all get done at once...it will be occurring all the way until release, and maybe even after.

This is the kind of thing that goes on behind close doors on normal game releases, where they are optimizing it right up until the end. You guys are just getting to play with a version of the game that normally only the developers see.

--Cory
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1815964:date=Dec 14 2010, 07:28 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Dec 14 2010, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys are just getting to play with a version of the game that normally only the developers see.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I couldn't have said it any better, so...

<b><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->QFT!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
  • nervcorenervcore Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75291Members
    Windows 7 requires more RAM than XP. It could be your OS that is causing this performance drop. Since that is the only thing you changed, you really should run NS2 on winXP again and compare if this build has helped you or made it worse.

Personally this build has improved performance TREMENDOUSLY (did i spell it right? *ponders*). As with many other people reporting that this build has done so for them too.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    lol windows on a mac
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    FPS is still largely unplayable for me. Usually in the 20 FPS range. Hope performance improves,
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1815964:date=Dec 15 2010, 01:28 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Dec 15 2010, 01:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys, it is not a waste of money if you can't run the game well yet on your computer. We are constantly optimizing the game, little by little, and are going to continue optimizing the heck out of it in as many ways that we can, in order to get it playable on high and low end systems. At the same time, we do have a game to make, so all the optimizing that is going to happen isn't going to all get done at once...it will be occurring all the way until release, and maybe even after.

This is the kind of thing that goes on behind close doors on normal game releases, where they are optimizing it right up until the end. You guys are just getting to play with a version of the game that normally only the developers see.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't understand me wrong, i know the game will be optimized a lot, but i am talking about the moment when the developers would come and say "Sry, its finished, we can't optimize it anymore without changing the whole XXXX". I really hope that the performance will be fine when the game is nearly finished, but i am worried about that even WHEN this is finished, my computer won't handle this game well.

EDIT: Ok i tested the game now too with HIGH settings, strangly i have the same fps as on low. I didn't changed the resolution, can test it out next time i want to start the game. (It takes a long time to open, and even longer to create a lan server)
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    Valve logs client FPS (min, avg and max). I hope UWE tracks it too.
  • nervcorenervcore Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75291Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1816107:date=Dec 15 2010, 11:09 PM:name=AtlantisThief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AtlantisThief @ Dec 15 2010, 11:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't understand me wrong, i know the game will be optimized a lot, but i am talking about the moment when the developers would come and say "Sry, its finished, we can't optimize it anymore without changing the whole XXXX". I really hope that the performance will be fine when the game is nearly finished, but i am worried about that even WHEN this is finished, my computer won't handle this game well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it is rather unrealistic to say that a game should be optimized to be able to handle extremely low end machines, by that i do mean PC's with outdated hardware.

There is always so much optimization that they can do. Compare the minimum requirements of games 10 years ago against games of 2010. There is just that much difference.

If you do want to play the game that badly, you would need to look at upgrading your hardware and not assume that the dev's will optimize the game till it is able to run on a PC with outdated hardware.

likewise, i am saving up for my next PC when Diablo3 comes out, so plan ahead and get your PC with better hardware when the need arises.