Make infantry portals and (if developed) phase gates dangerous.

louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
currently theres some complains on spawn camping with skulks/other lifeforms camping at the IPs while the entire team is dead, i think it would be better and can demote the cheapness of this tactic if we made IP's and PG's able to kill just like it used to in ns1, this way if any alien stands on the IPs they will get teleported into, and physically they will die as they will have a marine inside of them/through them, this is terminal, they instantly die.

what do you guys think?

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It'd going to be rather annoying for marines having their base full of accidents waiting to happen.

It would make more sense to just electrify the IP, although I don't think either would stop camping, I can sit a short distance away from it and rush forward faster than the marines can react.

Or you could make sentries good and practical to cover IPs.

Or you could find something better to spawn people than a really obvious and flimsy spawn point which has to be placed next to the really obvious and glowing and critical blue floor tile with box on top.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    It was fun in NS1 but dunno if it has place in NS2, fragile base/s is necessery to not allow even further passiveness than game already is.

Sentries are support not tools for ultimate base defence crap some people do in other singleplayers.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why not a 3-5 second force field for the marine, NS1 had a mod feature where you got a energyshield the first 5 seconds after spawn.
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    nah i think the weakness of spawn camping IPs is realistic, just as marines can camp the alien eggs and spawn camp.

i think its fair and ill call this thread finished.
  • Pat (GER)Pat (GER) Join Date: 2010-12-13 Member: 75646Members
    A nice feature in NS1 was that all marines spawn together without portals at the beginning of a game.
    Now it depends on the first players to build an IP to spawn the other teammates.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I don't get that either, I think it is a bug although I can't remember official word on that...

I mean, why have all those mandatory player_start entities (16) in the Marine Start if only one is going to be used. So it seems obvious it is a bug... Beacon does use them as well, I guess...
    <!--quoteo(post=1815879:date=Dec 14 2010, 04:36 PM:name=louis cardinal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (louis cardinal @ Dec 14 2010, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nah i think the weakness of spawn camping IPs is realistic, just as marines can camp the alien eggs and spawn camp.

i think its fair and ill call this thread finished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes it's 'realistic' that the magical wall-adhesive alien dogs kill the conveniently underequipped space marines as they defy physics and teleport from what is presumably a giant room entirely full of soldiers who aren't doing anything at the moment.

Your reality must be an interesting place.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    5 s spawn protection. Problem solved!
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    5s is way, WAY too much. Can you imagine trying to finish off a base when invincible marines keep popping in?
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    ...invincible RANGED WEAPONRY WIELDING marines...

The way i see it, keep your base defended. People laugh when someone complains about marines spawncamping aliens, but the other way around should be prevented? Grow up, place more ips, use b(e)acon.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815942:date=Dec 14 2010, 02:57 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Dec 14 2010, 02:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->use b(e)acon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL, i was just wondering when someone would bring that up. Oh wait....now look what you did....alien beacon?.....lmao, nm.

Honestly though, the problem would be resolved if the alien you just killed wasn't back in your face in 15 seconds flat. Lets all say it together, Bigger maps please. :P
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Play tram instead of rockdown, it's playable as of 159 and more properly balanced, so...
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    edited December 2010
    Spawn camping is a viable tactic, making the game more like rocket launcher tag instead of padded sumo since the danger of spawn camping requires more map control and minimap awareness (to prevent a base rush). I like this skill dependent mechanic.

Also:
    <!--quoteo(post=1815944:date=Dec 14 2010, 07:18 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Dec 14 2010, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly though, the problem would be resolved if the alien you just killed wasn't back in your face in 15 seconds flat. Lets all say it together, Bigger maps please. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bigger maps please ^^.

Also, make phase gates dangerous? Wtf? No. Just <b>no</b>. Let's not make the marines overpowered. Terrible idea.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1815955:date=Dec 15 2010, 12:07 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Dec 15 2010, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Play tram instead of rockdown, it's playable as of 159 and more properly balanced, so...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you keep clear of the tram, where everything goes black randomly :P
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1815932:date=Dec 14 2010, 02:26 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Dec 14 2010, 02:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5s is way, WAY too much. Can you imagine trying to finish off a base when invincible marines keep popping in?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alright, 5s spawn protection max with it being disabled sooner if the marine fires his weapon. The IP/egg camping is a problem in B159 and needs some solution.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1815878:date=Dec 14 2010, 11:23 AM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Dec 14 2010, 11:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815878"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not a 3-5 second force field for the marine, NS1 had a mod feature where you got a energyshield the first 5 seconds after spawn.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hey good idea; some sort of invulnerability for a few seconds would be cool.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited December 2010
    Wait hold on, why are the aliens attacking the ips at all. Shouldn't the aliens be solely attacking the bases 1 powernode which disables everything. I thought that was the whole point of the powernodes... and the whole point of all the eggs in hives...

How about this... We make the ips 10x harder to kill, like greater then or equal to the health of a powernode. Or some sort of an electrical defense mechanism to zap skulks off.
    No, you're not supposed to restrict options like that.
  • TheCaptainTheCaptain Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10390Members
    I think the most damaging situation is when the game starts with roughly 1 alien and marine on each team, and all the late joining marines need to go through the yet to be constructed portal. Early game once the marines have started spawning, I think the situation is fine.

With a game start timer (30 seconds?) once the minimum player numbers are met plus some limited late game join for new players, both of which I think are in planning, the insta rush will be less of an issue.
  • GohanZetaGohanZeta Join Date: 2010-11-18 Member: 74996Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make game countdown longer cooler and allow limited late-join<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This should fix those early game baserape happenings. And for spawning back in, usually once you got a1 you survive about 3 bites from a skulk which should be well enough time to jump off the IP and get some shots into the skulks face. Or just get Translocator beacons on your IPs so whole squads spawn back in.

Edit: fixed bad english O_o , quoted progress page
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    You could make the IPs fling marines aro--- no, wait. Bad idea. -> PULL! pew pew. skeet shooting ftl.

* Eggs should scatter slime everywhere so the alien within is not good to see / takes less damage

* refining my IP idea from above, the ip could generate an inversed gravity effect, effectively pushing away enemies.
    of course, something like an onos is not pushed as far as a skulk or gorge. and it pushes away buildings, especially hydras - but not DI.

EDIT: Marines need to spawn with at least one IP by default or allow late join reinforcements when there are no IPs build (meaning they phase in until an IP is build, if that is destroyed, they're sitting in the queu with their thumbs up their cracks).
  • metr0metr0 Join Date: 2010-12-12 Member: 75626Members
    What about just reducing the build time of IPs? That way the lone marine who joined earlier then the rest of his team can get it up and his team can spawn before skulks get there.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    1 or 2 second spawn invulnerability would be a fine fix for this.

However, I'm of the opinion that spawn camping is a legitimate tactic.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    If people are spawncamping, then that means they're killing the marines coming out of spawn AS they spawn, right? Which to me seems like they're just farming kills... How is that legitimate? Shouldn't their goal be to destroy the IP itself and prevent spawning and win the game?
    <!--quoteo(post=1816717:date=Dec 17 2010, 05:26 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 17 2010, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816717"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If people are spawncamping, then that means they're killing the marines coming out of spawn AS they spawn, right? Which to me seems like they're just farming kills... How is that legitimate? Shouldn't their goal be to destroy the IP itself and prevent spawning and win the game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Generally, killing marines as they spawn comes with biting IP's. Otherwise, they, you know, kill you instead.

Base rushing is legitimate. Spawn camping without killing the production building is also legitimate and just as legitimate. It's no exploit, it can be averted, and it can be thwarted while its happening (counter attack for a base race works sometimes). If someone is getting spawncamped, either they failed or their team failed to keep enemies out of their base. In a war game, letting enemies run free in your base is punishable by losing the game.

Spawncamping just sucks in NS because every soldier has a person playing it. We must consider this. So a spawn protection of 1-2 seconds would be nice. That's enough for players to realize they have spawned and get their bearings enough for combat. Anything more is too much in my subjective opinion.
    It's really stupid though.

If something is stupid you change the game to get rid of it.

Personally I would suggest getting something better than an IP as a spawn point, or at the very least giving marines an actual method of keeping aliens out of the base, it's quite hard when they can just run or teleport past your sentries.
  • FreemantleFreemantle Join Date: 2002-06-16 Member: 783Members
    When a marine materializes on an Infantry Portal, where does the air go that was in the space that his body was just occupying? If it moves out of the way, how quickly does it have to get there before the marine fully materializes?

Suggestion: When a marine spawns in the infantry portal, there is a slight knockback/disorient effect on nearby units as a result of the micro shockwave of the compressed air accelerating out of the marine's volumetric footprint. Skulks will then watch for spawning marines, as it will be more effective to back up and avoid the shockwave and lunge back in for the newly spawned marine than to be knocked back and stunned.
    <!--quoteo(post=1816757:date=Dec 17 2010, 12:02 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 17 2010, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's really stupid though.

If something is stupid you change the game to get rid of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I totally agree. The game works incorrectly right now.

<!--quoteo(post=1816720:date=Dec 17 2010, 05:44 AM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Dec 17 2010, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...

Spawncamping just sucks in NS because every soldier has a person playing it. We must consider this. So a spawn protection of 1-2 seconds would be nice. That's enough for players to realize they have spawned and get their bearings enough for combat. Anything more is too much in my subjective opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • elmo33elmo33 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68377Members
    No need for any changes. If you get spawncamped as a marine the game most likely is lost, in which case you press f4 twice to not prolong the game. If the game is not yet lost the commander uses beacon to spawn everyone back in at the same time. Also more than one IP already makes any random spawncamp a lot harder. And afaik there will be no phasegates, but if there will be, any kind of phase protection would make killing the phasegates way too hard for the aliens.

For aliens getting camped, having a lot of eggs at the hives would effectively make spawncamping very hard, as you dont know which one of those eggs actually has alien inside.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    edited December 2010
    spawn protection? no

seriously do you people even think about these threads when you make tham. yea lets give marines 5 secs of god mode because their team lost. if a skulk is biting on your IP that means your team is losing or your com is bad. either way thats a TEAMWORK issue not a goddamn GAME issue. ffs