How do aliens comeback from this situation?

peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
When the alien team lost the only remaining res tower, they didnt have enough plasma (or whatever its called) to build a new one. So what do you do in that situation? We had 1 hive left. I thought the idea was that loosing all hives was game over, not loosing all res towers. Shouldn't there be some way for a team to get res without res towers?

Comments

• PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Nope, if you lose the restower you can't produce any more resources.
    That's why you protect it.

Anyway, if you get to the point where you lose all the restowers, no matter if you build another RT, is a gg game over.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Actually we won :P

That was the worst marine team ever.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    This was the case in NS1 as well - especially before RFK. But even with RFK, gathering up to 25 res for an alien can be a painful process and such a case led to defeat.

There is an important RTS portion in the game, don't forget that, it's not just shooting-vs-biting.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    hey our com left and no-one would jump in :P

and we only had one resource node also :/

but yeh.. we were pretty bad :(
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That happened to me...

I didn't realise however, that we had one left before it went. The marines were completely dominating us anyway down to our last hive.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You come back by making a desperate rush on marine start and praying for a miracle. Other than that, there is such a thing as an insurmountable disadvantage.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Most marines in the ns2 games I played so far are oblivious to thier base being destroyed so rushing is your best bet. And if you lose, blame lag :P
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited December 2010
    Think of this as a case in SC2 where you still have your whole base, but no workers and no resources.

And infinite respawn of dudes.

Perfect.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm of the opinion that one IP and harvester/extractor should be free as long as you have no others. That way you always have a chance to make a comeback, but its more likely that you're going to lose.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1815438:date=Dec 13 2010, 10:07 AM:name=saltybp53)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (saltybp53 @ Dec 13 2010, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most marines in the ns2 games I played so far are oblivious to thier base being destroyed so rushing is your best bet. And if you lose, blame lag :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Shouldn't there be some kind of "summary" implemented, for all the field players, so they know how the game is flowing?
    Number of res nodes capped, number of IPs, command station health.
    What I visualise though, is an icon (representing the IPs) and a number next to it, or superimposed on top of it (the number of IPs built and running). Same for res nodes, but maybe include the total number of res nodes on the map as well (e.g. "6/14"). And command station(s) health bar(s), and whether or not it is (they are) occupied. Any other relevant info, perhaps armouries. Technology tier number. This set of icons would be in the corner somewhere, maybe grouped with the resource values, unintrusive but available, so that everyone on the team knows how the game is going for their team. It sounds like a lot of information, but with the right visual approach, it can be very very simple and straight to the point.

If this is already implemented, then, my bad, I didn't know. I uninstalled NS2 during the second alpha release, just upgraded my video card and drivers, gotta clear some hd space and I'll reinstall. I hope there are some aussie servers available.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    or the comm could just tell the grunts whats going on
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    I like Harimau's idea, putting the information on the HUD is a great way of telling the player immediately what's important. So a new player jumping in for first time will immediately know having more Command Centres and Resource towers is a good thing, especially if it's a 3/6 4/16. Yes it'll take a while for them to know how to increase those numbers BUT they will immediately know that they should be finding out how to increase those numbers.

Not sure that tech level (other than # of tech nodes) is important enough to always be on the screen though.

---

On Topic: RFK is your answer, that said a suicidal marine base rush is probably going to be far more effective.

I think that the marine commander should HAVE to disseminate some information, but it would be useful for those that are afraid of speaking for whatever reason (/ don't have a mic) if there could be a communication menu for the commander. "Base is Under Attack!" a good example, which appears as a reasonably prominent update for all the grunts.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I wouldn't put too much information on the HUD, because that encourages laziness. Instead we want people to communicate. That's where most of the fun is anyway. I don't think I could enjoy NS1/2, if it didn't require communication. When I think back the most fun games I had were the ones were there was lot's of (game related) talk. A round where no one talks is boring, no matter the outcome.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815569:date=Dec 13 2010, 08:28 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Dec 13 2010, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is RFK?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Short of resources for kill.
    A tutorial, or even an bare bones instruction page on the main menu would do wonders. Recently I've met so many people in games saying 'what are we supposed to do?', or not even knowing that there is an alien commander mode.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    They should let Gorges build harvesters as well, but make it cost much more (plasma instead of carbon). Make it cost 40 plasma for the gorge. That way, you at least have a backup to be able to build another harvester, albeit at significant cost.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    We don't want them writing a tutorial until it's released.
    Then they have to maintain a tutorial....and we are still not feature complete.

Discussion on what other information should be present in the HUD is helpful.

Back to the topic....
    What should the aliens do if their last RT/extractor goes down.
    I would vote for a base rush,
    RFK is unlikely to dig you out of the hole you are in,
    but killing all the infantry portals and then the CC will bring a smile to your faces.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1815594:date=Dec 13 2010, 10:35 AM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Dec 13 2010, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We don't want them writing a tutorial until it's released.
    Then they have to maintain a tutorial....and we are still not feature complete.

Discussion on what other information should be present in the HUD is helpful.

Back to the topic....
    What should the aliens do if their last RT/extractor goes down.
    I would vote for a base rush,
    RFK is unlikely to dig you out of the hole you are in,
    but killing all the infantry portals and then the CC will bring a smile to your faces.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think he means someone from the community make a quick tutorial video. For example, something like the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy8XJNduVDQ" target="_blank">Marine comm tutorial</a> by NS2HD.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1815545:date=Dec 13 2010, 11:43 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Dec 13 2010, 11:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't put too much information on the HUD, because that encourages laziness. Instead we want people to communicate. That's where most of the fun is anyway. I don't think I could enjoy NS1/2, if it didn't require communication. When I think back the most fun games I had were the ones were there was lot's of (game related) talk. A round where no one talks is boring, no matter the outcome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Although what you've said is true:
    Certain information is relevant--no, important to everyone on the team though. I don't buy that putting the number of IPs, res nodes and tech nodes capped on the HUD would have a huge impact on the communication traffic: if your only communication with your team as commander is akin to "we have 2 res nodes left" then that's clearly a deeper issue with the game structure, or your commanding. I think that that sort of communication is just noise really, when the game should be telling you that sort of information anyway. Clears the 'communication lines' up for more urgent information.