Warsoup.

PyroGhoztPyroGhozt Join Date: 2010-12-07 Member: 75539Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Direct competition for NS2.</div>Hi

I haven't been an active member of this community at all, I am however a fan of Natural Selection and will probably be buying it closer to the game release. So this post serves as my introduction and a topic I felt was rather serious.

There was this game that was recently announced and its supposedly a FPS / RTS much like Natural Selection. I was very bothered by the announcement of this game. Under both articles I read about this game none of the posters except for myself mentioned Natural Selection. Its the 1st game that comes to mind when thinking of FPS / RTS Hybrid and actually done right.

My main reason for concern is about the marketing and advertising of NS2? Whilst I and most of the NS Fans are in the loop it seems like very few people know about Natural Selection 2. While I have no doubt that NS2 will be a success as its has a strong following and is going to be on Steam. I guess as a bit of a PC Elitist I was actually rather bothered by general lack of knowledge of NS2.

In fact when people started saying Warsoup was "Innovative" and "Original" I was rightly pissed off and annoyed.

So while I have no doubt that Natural Selection 2 is going to be of the best quality and is going to sell itself by word of Mouth on the steam network.

Are you guys planning any decent marketing stunts in the near future thats really going to get the game out there? Because the last time the mainstream saw anything about it was that teaser trailer with the editorial quotes. (BTW that trailer is badass it sends chills up my spine)

Just thought I'd ask what the game devs / community thought of all this.

Thanks and keep up the good work devs.

Comments

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    This topic is probably better placed in the NS2 forum.
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    They have a video out with an introduction to the game:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpcPGIEjOs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpcPGIEjOs</a>

It doesn't show any kind of overhead RTS view and the overall gameplay looks a bit different (although they are only shooting boxes so it's hard to get a feel for what they plan on releasing). It seems as if they're appealing more to the Halo crowd with fast-paced run-and-gun action. Even the starting pistol looks like it's taken right from Halo.

Funny that the top rated comment on the YouTube video is about Natural Selection 2 :D

Also, I couldn't even find the "Moon Studios" website and their forum has only ~60 topics *total* with 66 users. I don't think NS2 should be concerned about being eclipsed in terms of both community support and media attention.
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    edited December 2010
    Although this "Warsoup" has FPS and RTS elements in it. Clearly by watching that video the games are completely different. They mentioned 2v2 matches, so as stated above I think they are going for a more Run and Gun approach instead of relying on teamwork and a commander.

From the looks of it, this WarSoup is more on the FPS side then it is with RTS.

NS2 attempts to keep it at a nice 50/50 base with mixing RTS and FPS.

This Warsoup game looks like it has potential to be good but like I said. The two games are completely different. I think their differences will be enough to seperate them from eachother and let people choose what they like more. My prediction, NS2.

But I so agree. UWE you need some more advertising. Anyone out there running a site and has the capability to do so...maybe some free advertising for our friends at UWE :)

If anything. Point everyone you know to NS2HD's you tube channel. He's done a remarkable job following the development. And from what I understand it looks like UWE has allowed him to test early builds before released to the public. Which is awesome.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    edited December 2010
    There's already been several FPSRTS games out there. I don't think any of them got as popular as NS did. I think what made NS so different was the dramatic asymmetry. (Also, the enclosed, tactical maps) Most FPSRTS games take conventional FPS and conventional RTS (including open maps) and shove them together. That looks like what that team is doing. The FPS part is heavily inspired by Halo, but with placeable structures. It's early in development, but it seems they're doing a decent job of emulating a lot of the popular mechanics today coming out of console FPS. It looks like PC is more an afterthought with this quote, "Even for the PC."
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    This game has some little aspects of an RTS but is pure FPS.
    Case close.
  • StormApanStormApan Join Date: 2007-06-17 Member: 61280Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    Hmm I wish NS2 would learn a bit about UI and upgrades. The wheel as portrayed in this movie is what I preferr when choosing weapons or upgrades or whatever.
    If I had my will the armory would function like this, and also voice/requests/commands just like in NS1.

It would be faster and feel more responsive, but there still are much to tweak to current NS2 UIs so I still have hope :)
    Pressing X to close armorywindows as it says on the upper right button doesnt work.. The best way I find to exit armory is to back off with movement to avoid mouseclick+firing weapon...
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Okay honestly the "uplink" feature in the bottom right looks great. When I played NS1 then I were almost always playing it with a friend, and with an uplink which allows you to bind and see what your comrade is doing it would be tons of fun and make it easier to coordinate. And hell, it could probably be really useful/cool at least for the Commander to see what the player is seeing on a small screen when selecting a unit.
    Probably not the most useful thing though but in <i>my </i>book that would be awesome.

But to take it on-topic, it's not actually competing with NS2. From what I can see it looks like more of a tower-defence/first-person at this point and the scope is considerably smaller with the amount of players. Where Starcraft 2 is best played at 1v1 and 2v2 so is this game, but in NS2 we'll see 16v16 because the units themselves are the players.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited December 2010
    Remember when C&C: Renegade was "NS' direct competitor"?
    bwhahaa

Though Warsoup already has what NS2 is still decidedly lacking... a minimap.

And whats up with them using the Companion Cube from Portal?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Do people post this every time they encounter any other FPS/RTS?

They aren't an entirely unheard of concept, they aren't common because they usually suck, but the idea is not copyrighted, other people are allowed to make them.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    To me, warsoup looks like Halo meets Mirror's Edge.
    It's interesting, but because of different things than NS2.
    It's the same competition like any other shooter out there.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Casual players will not follow a game through a long development period, it is pointless to go on a media blitz until the game a pretty close to release.
  • UrzaUrza Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11514Members
    -Warsoup looks "clean" - NS2 looks dirty
    -Warsoup is outdoors - NS2 is indoors
    -Warsoup is has symmetrical teams (afaik) - NS2 has assymetrical teams
    -Warsoup is pure first person - NS2 has a commander
    -Warsoup seems to be about resources and upgrades of the players - NS2 is about buildings as much as the players

It may be the same genre, but NS2 has atmosphere, has more depth, more options.
    On the other hand, warsoup seems a bit more accessible - like racing games were more accessible back when you could win by just pressing the "forward" button really hard.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    Just because they call it a FPS+RTS hybrid doesn't make it a direct competitor to NS, from what I can see the games are completely different... NS2 also has very memorable characters like the aliens, hopefully the weapons of the marines will get this memorable thing going like the TF2 classes have...

Warsoup is going to be a minimalistic approach (their words), and from what I can see it is an FPS which incorporates some RTS elements, but if that is the basis to call it a NS competitor then even TF2 would be a competitor as it also has some elements of RTS with the engineer and and control points... Which is clearly not the case, or that new DOTA type of game that was posted in off-topic a while ago...

It seems it could be fun, but I'd rather have the memorable and immersion environments from NS, but the fact that they are going in a completely different direction with this game nullifies this "competitor" status instantly.

These posts are like the "OMG WOW KILLERS" threads, to a lesser extend of course. But they either try to mimic said game or are going off in a completely different direction, while still under the same genre label...
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    edited December 2010
    Looks cool. Retarded name for a game, tho.

PaiSand is a poster here, isnt he not?

Warsoup devs to Paisand:
    "Fellas, we never said we're the first who mix RTS and FPS - that's not the point. Our philosophy is that we're taking elements from games that we think work and could be incredibly fun, we polish the hell out of it and make it ours by adding our own twist. It's not about who has invented it or who was doing it first - it's about who is doing it right, who delivers the most polished experience out there."
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    You also have to post what Paisand said then, because he never suggested that they were not the first. He just said it's it not as much of a RTS/FPS hibrid as they claim it is, as it is more of an FPS with a few RTS elements thrown in there...

<!--QuoteBegin-Paisand+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Paisand)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Natural Selection (9 years ago) is a real mix between RTS and FPS, and now they are finishing NS2.

Warsoup is an FPS with some little aspects of RTS, is no by any means a mix between this 2 styles.

Please, say that is a Halo with an RTS twist.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Using their logic, TF2 is also a RTS/FPS hybrid due to CP's and the Engineer... I'm not saying the game is bad, but it is surely lacking in the RTS department if you compare it to a true RTS/FPS hybrid, from what I've seen and read... I might be a good game, I can't judge that yet. Same goes for NS2 :P

But because it is so different and going off in such a different direction, it is clearly not a NS competitor but in it's own league. Heck if that were to be true then all the FPS's released all kill each other because they are all in the FPS genre :P
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1814351:date=Dec 8 2010, 09:45 AM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Dec 8 2010, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814351"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay honestly the "uplink" feature in the bottom right looks great. When I played NS1 then I were almost always playing it with a friend, and with an uplink which allows you to bind and see what your comrade is doing it would be tons of fun and make it easier to coordinate. And hell, it could probably be really useful/cool at least for the Commander to see what the player is seeing on a small screen when selecting a unit.
    Probably not the most useful thing though but in <i>my </i>book that would be awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I completely agree. This should be added to the game at some point, or if not perhaps someone can mod it in. So useful in so many cases, plus it fits with the NS theme, i mean the marines are wearing a helm with some kind of camera on it (at least that's how it looks like).
    edited December 2010
    Hehe reminds me of the map arrows of BF1942 where you could make your buddies have green arrows, this uplink is of course the next step!!!

I can already see it, me in base buying a shotty looking at the screen of my buddy going:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>Me: "Dude what's that!?"

Buddy: "What?"

Me: "Look a bit to the left, there... Isn't that A SKULK!!!"
    <!--coloro:#808080--><span style="color:#808080"><!--/coloro-->
    *buddy spawn in base next to me*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Buddy: "Yes, that was a skulk..."

Me: "Indeed :P Come on let's get'em!"

Buddy: "HELLZ YEAH!!!"</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Looks like a pretty fun looking game.

Console gamers will love it.

PC gamers, might.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1814352:date=Dec 8 2010, 10:54 AM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Dec 8 2010, 10:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814352"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remember when C&C: Renegade was "NS' direct competitor"?
    bwhahaa

Though Warsoup already has what NS2 is still decidedly lacking... a minimap.

And whats up with them using the Companion Cube from Portal?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i liked that game...
  • peentankpeentank Join Date: 2010-09-01 Member: 73857Members
    edited December 2010
    wtf is warsoup lol

most people who will play NS2 will be people who play HL2 and its mods

here further proof that NS2 is more known than "warsoup" <--- which i just looked up and doesnt look like an RTS at all..

here is warsoup video <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpcPGIEjOs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpcPGIEjOs</a>

here is proof warsoup is less known that NS2

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs=natural-selection" target="_blank">http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs=natural-selection</a>

now check this....

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs=warsoup" target="_blank">http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs=warsoup</a>
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Warsoup looks more like Battlezone than NS imo (place buildings the same way, but it's first-person combat instead of tanks). It could be interesting, depending on the use and importance of your buildings...or it could be just like Halo or another FPS

I'd love to play a remake of Bzone, btw...it's too bad that the rts/fps combo is such a niche genre, there are so many unexplored ways to create interesting gameplay
    edited December 2010
    I'd like a Dungeon Keeper 3, but that ain't gonnah appear either :P

Random silly Rant...
    <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Imagine a MMO where you can choose all classes in DK including the Dungeon Keeper and the good forces. The pit them all together in a MMO server and battle eachother. you can join battlegrounds when a Dungeon Keeper has your requirements...

Let's say I'm a Skeletor

Dungeon Keeper has a prison with a deadguy in there, if I don't join he get's an NPC. But as soon as I join he can accept me as his minion and voila. A new creature as entered your Dungeon</span>
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    The only thing wrong with "Warsoup" is the name IMO lol. Otherwise it looks like an interesting game. Saying it's "direct competition with NS2" is laughable to say the least.

One thing i liked was the ability for the marine to drop a turret. Something that NS2 could use (buildmenu) :P
    edited December 2010
    Hmm, also a way of limiting turretspam by having all marines equipped whit one after the upgrade :D

A gorgy can then also only drop a few...

Going way off-topic here...
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    That game looked pretty clean and fun!
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I think saying this is a direct competition to NS2 is like saying halo is a direct competition to call of duty. Same genre, sure, but very different.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    edited December 2010
    Fail game, just TF2 clone !
    p2p servers = Epic fail
  • Matt ReganMatt Regan Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63946Members, Retired Developer, NS2 Developer
    I've been following Warsoups development for awhile and they're good guys. Very talented bunch of people with a fun idea and a unique style. I wouldn't call them direct competition; They're going a very different route which I think will become clear in the near future.

Having said that, we've been having fun with the name around here today. Already have our clan names picked out. Second Sergent in command of Lobster Bisque squad, reporting in.
    <!--quoteo(post=1814467:date=Dec 9 2010, 02:33 AM:name=Matt Regan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt Regan @ Dec 9 2010, 02:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1814467"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having said that, we've been having fun with the name around here today. Already have our clan names picked out. Second Sergent in command of Lobster Bisque squad, reporting in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    LMAO!
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The sauce tartar squad from the Cereal Grillers want to have a word with you, Matt.

But, seriously, I'd name <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/video/17710/5895" target="_blank">these</a> guys more of a competition, though.
    Looks like an advanced version of Empires to me.