Combat mode?

CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
will the game come complete with combat mode or will it be left to the modding people?

Comments

• KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    God no. And I hope the comm doesn't make it. CO required next to no communication or teamwork.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    well i hope it does :P its the only reason i bought ns2 is to play combat, yea you can go on and say that it requires less communication and teamwork, i agree.

But i liked combat for the raping and killing, constant fighting. I hope it doesnt take long for someone to make it.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    it has been stated that combat won't be in the official ns2, but that it should be fairly easy for the modding community to create a mod like combat
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It'll be modded in quickly enough I'm sure.
  • SorelSorel Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68498Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812867:date=Dec 3 2010, 07:27 AM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Dec 3 2010, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well i hope it does :P its the only reason i bought ns2 is to play combat, yea you can go on and say that it requires less communication and teamwork, i agree.

But i liked combat for the raping and killing, constant fighting. I hope it doesnt take long for someone to make it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be honest, I feel like the current game mode provides the constant combat aspect while also rewarding more thoughtful and strategic approaches.

Of course, it lacks the individual leveling up that CO has. But yeah, as others have said, no need to worry as it'll be modded in very quickly.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    co kinda wrecked the game
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Why would you buy the game based on something they said won't be in it? Someone will have to mod combat mode.
  • {FRG}Stinkbugg{FRG}Stinkbugg Join Date: 2010-06-28 Member: 72189Members
    co ruined NS, brought all the annoying CS'ers over to the mod.. thus started the decline, all the good players quit .. hiding in exile till NS2. Co is why i stopped playing NS 1
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1813000:date=Dec 3 2010, 02:06 PM:name=Ezekiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ezekiel @ Dec 3 2010, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->co_ kinda distracted people from ns_, so I had no one to play with for non-co
    Most people seemed to find it more fun and played it more often than ns_<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fixed

<!--quoteo(post=1813093:date=Dec 3 2010, 06:35 PM:name={FRG}Stinkbugg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({FRG}Stinkbugg @ Dec 3 2010, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->co ruined NS, brought all the annoying CS'ers over to the mod.. thus started the decline, all the good players quit .. hiding in exile till NS2. Co is why i stopped playing NS 1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This argument never made sense. If all the CS players just came over to play CO, how would that ruin it for ns_ players? Two separate facets of the game.
    Unless all the "good players" you speak of just wanted to be elitist and quit the game because "those dirty CS players are in my game!"

Pretty silly if you ask me. What are you going to do when someone makes a CO MOD for NS2? That'll basically be the same situation.
  • SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813096:date=Dec 4 2010, 12:37 AM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Dec 4 2010, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are you going to do when someone makes a CO MOD for NS2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Burn the heretic.
  • JerunkJerunk Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9659Members
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Well I don't know if it still exists but the last time I looked at game modes there was "NS" "MvM" and another. I assume MvM is marine v marine. Where is your god now?
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    PLEASE. NO TO CO.

Combat basically undid what Flayra and his old team had with NS1, there was no atmosphere, no teamwork, no meaningful progression and a whole load of spam.

I mean, all those annoying times a co_ map was voted to fetch in more players, as soon as the map was changed to ns_, the new joiners quit the server. Co_ brought in the wrong kind of crowd for NS1.

Besides, modding is easy in NS2, let it be an unnofficial mod if people want it, I'd just hate to see that mess brought into this fine game.
  • AssassinTeddyAssassinTeddy Join Date: 2010-10-31 Member: 74694Members
    If you try to create a server there's an option for a game mode called 'faceoff'.

Probably won't be identical to ns1 combat but it seems to be the combat type option for ns2
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1813117:date=Dec 3 2010, 08:25 PM:name=AssassinTeddy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AssassinTeddy @ Dec 3 2010, 08:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you try to create a server there's an option for a game mode called 'faceoff'.

Probably won't be identical to ns1 combat but it seems to be the combat type option for ns2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

RIGHT that's the third one. I forgot what it was.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I always found ns1 co mode to be sort of like a casual ns mode. If you wanted an intense, teamwork based game, you played ns mode. If you wanted a laidback, casual game, you played co mode.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Casual games in classic is more then possible you know... It is all dependent on the players and servers visited...

I don't think combat killed the game, I think the move away from ns1.04 ticked of more people. I know all my NS buddies quit because of this... combat didn't do much for server populous though, as said before... Go co to get this new influx of gamers on the server, go classic they leave, a pretty default scenario back then.

I found a server that played classic only and did manage to have fun, but NS2.0+ while optimized did not feel like NS...
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I don't care much for co but I did find it good practice. That's about all it's worth.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    I hope not, combat mode kill NS1.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1813135:date=Dec 3 2010, 10:14 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 3 2010, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Casual games in classic is more then possible you know... It is all dependent on the players and servers visited...

I don't think combat killed the game, I think the move away from ns1.04 ticked of more people. I know all my NS buddies quit because of this... combat didn't do much for server populous though, as said before... Go co to get this new influx of gamers on the server, go classic they leave, a pretty default scenario back then.

I found a server that played classic only and did manage to have fun, but NS2.0+ while optimized did not feel like NS...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah but 2.xx was the best version(s).
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    No. Devs have said so.

If you want it, mod it.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    i dont see what everones problem is with combat, if you dont like it dont join a combat server? there were always normal ns servers aswell as combat. Just sounds like a lot whining for no reason.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I aggree to the oppinion that co destroyed NS1.
    The reason for this is simple: Ease of access and the unwillingness of the general mob coming in to learn the ropes of the strategic mode.

I still miss the games that lasted from sun down to sun up and where equal until one team tripped at the very end and was destroyed.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope the first modder to do Combat will somehow innovate the gamemode itself. Combat wasn't nasty, but it wasn't the full NS experience either.