Why a 700mB patch size for code related bug fixes?

scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
Serious guys... whats going on with patch sizes...

700mB for the newest build patch when you've only got about 3/4 of a page of changes, most of those sound like they were code bugfixes and the 'asset' (maps/sounds etc) don't sound like much changed there.

I wouldn't care if you said that you updated 100 new sounds, all the maps, added some new maps, put new loading screens in etc. You know added media/pictures/textures/sounds to the game files.. but by the sounds of it, all you have changed is the game code, that i assume gets compiled into a few exe and dlls etc... why the hell would you have changed 700MB worth of data in this patch?

Is something going to be done to address these ABSURDLY huge patch sizes?

Comments

• thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    edited December 2010
    omg complain when they dont fix things, complain when they do fix things.........Who cares, unless you have 56k with an 8gb harddrive, the download will only take 10-20 minutes.

was I the only one who was excited when I saw a big file, BIG FILE = BIG CHANGES
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited December 2010
    Number over changes != amount of code changed.
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    It's not about complaining round the house. It's a great patch/build this week.

That's beside the point. It's like we're re-downloading the game each bloody week.

I'm trying to confirm if 700MB of stuff has changed, i highly doubt it has and if thats the case then why is the 'patch; 700mB? Are we having files refreshed that we don't need refreshed?

For those of us on smaller download quotas it is actually a pretty big problem, despite what mr ######nuckle 'thecowsaysstupidcrap' says.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    I'm guessing that right now UWE has to replace entire files during updates, rather than just "patching" code inside of existing files. So you have to re-download entire assets.

This is probably why the patches are so big.

Other than that, each patch is introducing huge changes. As time goes on, they should get progressively smaller.
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    Yes, thats what I assume as well. It would be good to get a dev to comment on when this issue will be addressed... if they think its going to be a while before its corrected (and therefore we can sign up for larger internet quota, but plan changes take 30days to go through, so dont want to do that if they are going to fix it sooner then say 2-3months etc).

I guess the other problem here is that Americans don't have internet quotas like us Australians... from what I hear. Americans might be surprised to hear that the average maximum download GB/month in Australia is 3GB.

Don't get me wrong, i love the latest build and the build before that... not complaining at all that they are patching and fixing things so quickly etc. Just that we seam to be paying a heavy download quota price un-necessarily.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited December 2010
    You should write and complain to your government rep/emigrate. 3GB max monthly download is pathetic.
  • alphzalphz Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69329Members
    Yeah man thats ridiculous, not even New Zealand has that for an average plan.
  • moofreemoofree Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34622Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1812796:date=Dec 3 2010, 01:54 AM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Dec 3 2010, 01:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess the other problem here is that Americans don't have internet quotas like us Australians... from what I hear. Americans might be surprised to hear that the average maximum download GB/month in Australia is 3GB.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think it's a problem that Americans don't have quotas. The problem is that poor Australians have quotas!
    Seriously if I lived in Australia and there were no alternative internet service providers, I'd move. 3GB is how much I download in ~30 minutes.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    As White Zero has already pointed out:
    They are replacing whole files, instead of patching up those files.

The reasons for this are usually:
    You can patch straight up from 1.0 to 2.0 without doing the in-between patch from 1.0 to 1.5 and then patching from 1.5 to 2.0.
    You do not need to program a patcher, that does parsing, inserting, rechecking files etc.
    There is less room for error.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    An average of 3GB seems very low, only the cheapest of the cheap plans, like AUD$20 a month would get that. I'm on 140GB a month personally.

3GB is puny even by aussie standards.

--Scythe--
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1812796:date=Dec 3 2010, 02:54 PM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Dec 3 2010, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess the other problem here is that Americans don't have internet quotas like us Australians... from what I hear. Americans might be surprised to hear that the average maximum download GB/month in Australia is 3GB.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perth resident here.

Uhh, well that's just stupidly wrong. Way to make us look like we live in huts in the OUTBACK MATE. Australians have access to 1TB plans if they want. iiNet ftw.

On average, you're looking at at least 100 GB per month for about $50 - $60 p/m depending on your ISP. Which retarded ISP are you with?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1812796:date=Dec 3 2010, 05:54 PM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Dec 3 2010, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess the other problem here is that Americans don't have internet quotas like us Australians... from what I hear. Americans might be surprised to hear that the average maximum download GB/month in Australia is 3GB.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now we all know I'm the officer in charge of taking the piss out of Australia here, but 3GB? What the bejesus? I mean if you want to pay $1 a month I guess you might get a 3Gb limit. Or you're downloading NS2 to your mobile. Err, I mean 'cell phone.'

As for the patch size, Faskalia nails it I think. There are some small downsides to a small dev-team, a 700mb download is a small price to pay for not fussing with patchers, incremental files, and all the headaches and lost hours that would mean for Max...
  • AssassinTeddyAssassinTeddy Join Date: 2010-10-31 Member: 74694Members
    Yeah just gotta say a 3gb average is nowhere near right for aus.

Was looking around the other day and the lowest plans for most companies are 10gb for $10, even found an unlimited for $30 (TPG)
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    I think with technology as it is for most net users, 700MB really isn't a lot. To me this is the same mentality some people have with new games not running decently on their aging machines and that all developers should cater to what they want.

I rather UWE just replace entire parts of a game than have more complex and time consuming incremental updates per individual files.

Sidenote: Back in Oz for me (2 or so years ago), I was paying $45 /mo for 20mbit (18mbit sync) with 60GB and that was with Netspace. I guess it's moreso down to "bad luck" that you aren't in an area where cheap plans are available.

I think I would go insane if I had such a low cap. I can download 3GB in about 8-9min, if the source has the bandwidth.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    bigpond wireless largest plan is 10gb per month for $129. maybe he;s in an area/situation where he cant get adsl or cable.

also you;d be stupid to move location just because you cant get a decent internet plan.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I don't think Steam handles binary patches; as far as I'm aware it has to re-download any files that changed - so if a single byte changed in a 10GB file, you need to download 10GB rather than a patch.
  • moofreemoofree Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34622Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1812851:date=Dec 3 2010, 06:08 AM:name=Loey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Loey @ Dec 3 2010, 06:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->also you;d be stupid to move location just because you cant get a decent internet plan.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd say your priorities are simply wrong ;)
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    I feel bad for you Australians, but ya kinda let it get that way. Not that the individual citizen has much power and the Government isn't being bought. As I recall you guys have a conservative government atm as opposed to labor? But yeah, the reality is that the early patches are more likely to be big due to the kind sof changes and needs to replace assets.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    cry me a river who cares the for the size ?
  • MuhownageMuhownage Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75017Members
    Also to add even that the Updater said something of 768 mb download i found out that for 3rd party games the number of mb isnt right most time he downloaded 530mb tonight only. yes its only 200 mb less but 200mb is 200mb. so dont be scared of the high size of the patches
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    700MB was a lot. 15 years ago when burning CDs was all the rage.
  • AssassinTeddyAssassinTeddy Join Date: 2010-10-31 Member: 74694Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812851:date=Dec 3 2010, 10:08 PM:name=Loey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Loey @ Dec 3 2010, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812851"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bigpond wireless largest plan is 10gb per month for $129. maybe he;s in an area/situation where he cant get adsl or cable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah touche, didn't think of that side of it. Although, it still doesn't represent an australian average in any way - i think the stats are around 9-13% of australia can't get cable/adsl

<!--quoteo(post=1812864:date=Dec 3 2010, 11:23 PM:name=Karrde)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karrde @ Dec 3 2010, 11:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel bad for you Australians, but ya kinda let it get that way. Not that the individual citizen has much power and the Government isn't being bought. As I recall you guys have a conservative government atm as opposed to labor? But yeah, the reality is that the early patches are more likely to be big due to the kind sof changes and needs to replace assets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah we've had labor in for the last while, there's also a plan in place to improve our networks to fibre for 95% of aus but being our government it will still take another 7-8 years to see it.

So yeah, on average aus internet isn't that bad... Regardless, if you're downloading a game of this size in alpha/beta you should be expecting that you'll need to download a lot of, quite likely, large patches.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    silly question, but aren't you forbidden to play ns2 in australia anyway? doesn't every game need a age approval? i doubt ns2 got that..
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Just out of curiosity who is your ISP and have you got a link to their packages?

3GB sounds standard for "a cheap option for old people who don't use the internet". Sounds like you've chosen that rather than the "I want to download music/movies and play games" option and payment amount for your ISP.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    I download 700 MB in 7 seconds ...

oops, miscalculation ;) I mean, 7*10 seconds, so 1 minute and 10 seconds...
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1812952:date=Dec 3 2010, 11:28 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Dec 3 2010, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just out of curiosity who is your ISP and have you got a link to their packages?

3GB sounds standard for "a cheap option for old people who don't use the internet". Sounds like you've chosen that rather than the "I want to download music/movies and play games" option and payment amount for your ISP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yikes. Heck, our cell phone data plans here in the States is more than that. lol
    Aussies have it bad.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Full to partial Overwrite = No mistakes
    Incremental = Game breaks/headaches

It's been said before and i will say it again.

"Why participate in an Alpha/Closed Beta when you KNOW you have restrictions for bandwidth KNOWING there will be patches"

It took me all of 4 minutes to get the update, within 10 minutes i had my client and my server updated and running. OMG, I just realized i downloaded it twice....i better skip the next patch to save bandwidth.

Oh, the sacrifices we make to have fun. (wonders when the last time my monopoly board game was updated?)
  • RUben1RUben1 Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75246Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812778:date=Dec 3 2010, 07:12 AM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Dec 3 2010, 07:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Serious guys... whats going on with patch sizes...

700mB for the newest build patch when you've only got about 3/4 of a page of changes, most of those sound like they were code bugfixes and the 'asset' (maps/sounds etc) don't sound like much changed there.

I wouldn't care if you said that you updated 100 new sounds, all the maps, added some new maps, put new loading screens in etc. You know added media/pictures/textures/sounds to the game files.. but by the sounds of it, all you have changed is the game code, that i assume gets compiled into a few exe and dlls etc... why the hell would you have changed 700MB worth of data in this patch?

Is something going to be done to address these ABSURDLY huge patch sizes?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm new so I can't tell if every previous patch was this large, but I suppose it contains new content for further updates or just updated content which can only be compiled into big files, so you have to download large files in which maybe only a couple thing have changed.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1812796:date=Dec 3 2010, 01:54 AM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Dec 3 2010, 01:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess the other problem here is that Americans don't have internet quotas like us Australians... from what I hear. Americans might be surprised to hear that the average maximum download GB/month in Australia is 3GB.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My gawd, I'd go through that quota in the first hour.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    You could have someone else download it and send it to you on a 1 GB SD memory stick. They only cost $1 in bulk + stamp - so maybe $1.50 USD.

This can be done on steam-downloaded games, with minor effort.