A little question regarding texturing in Spark

LandironLandiron Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75355Members
edited November 2010 in Mapping
greetings,

While testing out the Spark editor I ran into a problem i could't solve myself, so I hope to find some enlightenment here in this forums ;)

I built some basic structures and textured them, but found myself unable to copy and move them without having their textures shift.

The "lock textures" button also didn't seem to do anything at all, so I'm wondering what I missed :X

Comments

• UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    edited November 2010
    First of all the texture lock toggle button is the padlock icon at the bottom-right edge that appears when you select the move tool. Its hidden when you are using other tools so maybe you confused it with grid lock?

It will work for lateral movements along xyz but it will not work correctly for rotation.

Try design geometry using the grey grid pattern texture as it prevents you from becoming too distracted any misalignments.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It is still an unoptimized tool, nothing like the Hammer texture tool with alignment, treat as one and actually locking when rotating/flipping and stuff. It will get there in the end, probably. But for now you're better off texturing using either "fit" so you can use center if you move it (simple texturing), or indeed use the gray dev textures as UKchaos suggested
  • LandironLandiron Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75355Members
    Thx for the information. While I'm fine with the Editor beeing still in developement, I wasn't sure if this behaviour was a Bug or an error on my part.

However I uploaded a short clip on youtube, what confused me was that "Locked texture" padlock didnt seem to do anything for me.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhf9UJ7geo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhf9UJ7geo</a>

As it seems to be a missing feature I think i'll only texture the absolute necessary for now ;)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited November 2010
    Are you sure texture lock is enabled? That should work. Could you make a video that captures the whole screen? You can use CamStudio (or similar software) for that.
  • LandironLandiron Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75355Members
    I'll try it with CamStudio tomorrow, Fraps didn't record my whole screen like I wanted for whatever reason, dont use such programs often.

But I can tell you that while recording the last video I switched "texture lock" on/off without any apparent changes to the textures behaviour.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I have found texture lock is broken right now, last build it was fine, latest it's broken.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1812134:date=Dec 1 2010, 03:26 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Dec 1 2010, 03:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812134"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have found texture lock is broken right now, last build it was fine, latest it's broken.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Right, I just gave it a try and it doesn't work in this build. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next build.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Texture lock broke fairly recently. All of us mappers are going a bit bug-eyed without it, so it's on the priority list for getting fixed.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1812158:date=Dec 1 2010, 02:15 AM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Dec 1 2010, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812158"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Texture lock broke fairly recently. All of us mappers are going a bit bug-eyed without it, so it's on the priority list for getting fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the feedback.

Always great to hear official news on such issues!