Need more tutorials

thraxjorthraxjor Join Date: 2008-08-23 Member: 64879Members, Constellation
edited November 2010 in Mapping
I think i am not the only one here that needs a bit of help from time to time, but why isn't the NS2 Wiki updated with tutorials or other things from the community on how to create working elevators and doors that require buttons to be pushed for them to be opened?

Well I hope to start a bit of a trend by adding a few more to the wiki, but i've added this article to the wiki <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dynamic_Lights_With_Props" target="_blank">Dynamic Lights with Props</a> you can see the final product <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKoHKyThP9Y" target="_blank">here</a>.

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Thanks a lot!

Looking forward to more since I haven't toyed around with that stuff, yet.
  • BreadManBreadMan Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10854Members, Retired Developer
    Very nice Thrax! I used the same technique to do the light for the damaged powernode. If you want to get rid of that hitch every time it makes a full circle open up the graph for the light's Yaw value, right-click on the points of the curve, and change them to "Linear Interpolation."

I'm hoping to re-do all the official tutorials and add many more, including cinematic editor, at some point but it probably won't be til after 1.0 is released, too much to do until then unfortunately. However expect to see a lot of pre-made cinematics like this one show up in a future patch as I'm planning to add a bunch of generic atmospheric-enhancing effects for mappers to use soon.
  • thraxjorthraxjor Join Date: 2008-08-23 Member: 64879Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1810953:date=Nov 26 2010, 11:22 PM:name=BreadMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BreadMan @ Nov 26 2010, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810953"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Very nice Thrax! I used the same technique to do the light for the damaged powernode. If you want to get rid of that hitch every time it makes a full circle open up the graph for the light's Yaw value, right-click on the points of the curve, and change them to "Linear Interpolation."

I'm hoping to re-do all the official tutorials and add many more, including cinematic editor, at some point but it probably won't be til after 1.0 is released, too much to do until then unfortunately. However expect to see a lot of pre-made cinematics like this one show up in a future patch as I'm planning to add a bunch of generic atmospheric-enhancing effects for mappers to use soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey thanks for the tip, it works a treat now, i'll update my article on the wiki, but yeah would really like to know how to make elevators that require a button to be pushed or door that requires a welder to open etc ;)
  • chubbystevechubbysteve Join Date: 2002-10-14 Member: 1496Members, Constellation
    Can anyone point me to a tutorial for creating textures for use in NS 2? I have seen the build tutorial so I don't just mean for gorge races. I currently have completely no idea what is needed to make totally new textures with their own shaders or bump maps or whatever else is required. Cheers.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    <a href="http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/42-tutorial-hard-surface-texture-painting.html" target="_blank">http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotligh...e-painting.html</a>
  • chubbystevechubbysteve Join Date: 2002-10-14 Member: 1496Members, Constellation
    That's a really nice article. But when I look at the NS 2 materials there's two dds's right? $name and $name_normal? The normal seems to bear some resemblance to the bump and specular but it's all sorts of different colours. I assume it does both reflectivity and height at once? I'm trying to understand the NS2 specifics. I dunno if I should post this because I'm hijacking a thread. herpderp.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    Normal map is height only. I think the specular maps are mostly added to an alpha channel in the diffuse map. That's at least what I've been doing now that I started making textures, and it works well :)
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    If you don't know what you're talking about, you should probably shut the hell up and stop spreading misinformation.

Kaleben, this means you.

<!--QuoteBegin-"marks @ interlopers.net"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("marks @ interlopers.net")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-"Jike"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("Jike")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Difference between Normal Mapping, Bump Mapping, Height Mapping and SSAO (and how it is created and what it does)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Bump mapping - grey scale texture, height information only
    Normal mapping - RGB texture, 3-axis vector information for the direction of the tangent normal of each pixel
    Height Map - Same as Bump mapping, but usually used to deform large areas of terrain in a level editor
    SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) - Similar to Ambient Occlusion render effect in a software renderer, however rendered in realtime.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    Sorry about that. I must have misunderstood something, somewhere. Thanks for clearing up though masrk.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Marks, you need to tone it down a little. There are plenty of ways of expressing that without being so aggressive.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    The models don't show in the File Browser after I created an Actor.
    File Browser only shows .level files.
    What am I doing wrong?
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    You should be able to navigate your system folders, it works for me.
    edited March 2011
    I can navigate all the folders. It just doesn't show anything except .level files.
    Has anyone tried the tutorial with the current build?

Is this a bug or am I just totally stupid right now?
    Do I have to set-up something before the Cinematic Editor works properly?

E: When I enter the path and filename manually (the one shown in the tutorial for example), it doesn't show up and the history adds the entry "set level".
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Just as a quick reply to the OP,

Once the bug on the black background is fixed I'll start recording a tutorial set. Which should be released approximately 3 months after that fix. There's no point trying to show people how to navigate 2D grid views right now, as once it becomes complex, you really have to know your level and where things are placed in order to co-ordinate it.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    The original youtube vid was taken down, would anyone at all happen to have a mirror?