NS2 Players - Locality ? IE Where are you from?

ben1099ben1099 Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75282Members
Hi,
I'm a player from south east asia and I would like to ask if everyone who current plays NS2 alpha --> beta or intends to play NS2,

To state your region
Format

Region : USwest / Aussie / South east asia / Etc
Played since : Alpha / Beta / Intending too

My Hypothesis
This probably will give a good gauge on the regions that are interested in the NS2. (as I know it is not very well known within my country, thus buying the game would probably result in me playing in a foreign server (obviously it will lag badly, and considering it is FPS based I would not enjoy the experience)

However I throughly enjoyed NS1 and would like to play this game so I would like to know if there are any servers hosted by/in south east asia that through the current players in the beta phase.

Regards,

*Disclaimer please do not flame me* I have $200 dollars left to spend for christmas so I need to spend it wisely. A meal in my country (cheapest economic staples cost about $3~$4 so its really bad but I still want to purchase NS2)

I just want to know the rough distribution of players to help me in my purchasing decision (and possibility other players who are thinking of buying the game) . Thanks for any help. If you wish to flame me, please instead close your internet tab on this thread and post on something that improves gameplay.

Comments

• KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    Why would anyone flame you? Its not like you asked for a cheaper game version...

(Adjusted versions for other world markets: This could come at some point in the future, atm uwe doesnt have the extra cash (to manage this and) make sure this system wont get exploited(i guess), so there is no possibility that everybody just buys a cheaper version via asia-onlineshops, proxys, vpns etc. )

On the main topic, i would make a new thread and ask for fellow Asian players(in the title) that will buy and play this game... since you want to make sure there are ppl and servers for your region and not for the whole world... :)

I mean, if it happens that the timezone of you and me beeing awake matches, sure you can go come and play with me (austria) but i think the ping of 500ms+ wont be any fun for you or me ^^
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I'm in the US west coast. I prepaid alpha. If the cost is a problem, I would wait until NS2 comes out of beta. I have had a lot of enjoyment just being involved in the process as the game developed. To me that's a bonus and I know I'll spend a lot of hours in the future playing NS2
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Don't worry about the lag, I'm from Argentina and I can play it almost smooth all the time.
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    US East Coast, played since Alpha.

I support the idea of people paying for BETA just to continue to support UWE right now so the game gets finished quicker. However for your own financial well being you may want to wait until Version 1.0 to get the game.

All the main server issues have been addressed and everything has begun to get optimized. I run a 2.6ghz dual core, 6gig, 8800GTS 512mb rig and right now I average 25-45 FPS in full servers. The game isn't fully optimized yet and I have noticed depending on the server you are on the game runs at its best in its current state in a 8 slotted server, 4v4. Other servers start having issues when more then 8 people join especially if there are a high number of Hydras or Turrets in game. This effects your ping and just in general server lag. Now and then with more then 8 and high numbers in structures you get the "rubber band" effect with server lag.

For the most part the game runs awesome and is only to increase in stability from this point on.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Region: Sweden (Europe)
    Since: Engine Test (SE)

Also a fun fact, seems like sweden is the second most interested country when it comes to ns2. Finland tops the list.
    <a href="http://www.google.com/trends?q=natural+selection+2" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/trends?q=natural+selection+2</a>
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Region: Germany (Europe)

Interesting graph, Feha. Think so because Scandinavia has best internet on the world.. hehe
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    Region: United Kingdom (Europe)
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    Region: United Kingdom (Europe)

Haha seems Perth is the top city accessing here. Bet I contributed with the F5 bashing when I was living there :D
  • senor_hybridosenor_hybrido Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67687Members
    Singapore, intending

Interesting graph. I'm surprised Singapore's ranked above the US. Heck, I'm surprised Singapore's there at all.
  • AtlantisThiefAtlantisThief Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75254Members
    Since: Beta

:)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited November 2010
    I also play in South East Asia. All best servers for me have been in Australia and US. My ping is usually 50-100 higher than everyone else's :( I can still play it well and get higher scores than most on my team. If you get a lot of lagg its a good idea to play commander since you dont need to shoot stuff. Haven't seen any south east asia servers. Only Asian one I saw was Japan and I didn't manage to connect to that.

If you have a good connection it won't be a problem really.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    austria (vienna)

enginetest
  • NimbatNimbat Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75146Members

Preordered, forgot about the game for a year or so and came back a month ago to check on the updates and stuff.
    Now that it's actully playable I'm having a blast. It was worth the wait and I enjoy following the development of an indie gamestudio.

Brings back so many fond memories from the old glory days of NS1.
  • HoAxHoAx Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26347Members
    USA, New York

Alpha
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    US East (VA)
    Engine Test
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited November 2010
    Finland (Europe)
    Engine Test

<!--quoteo(post=1810784:date=Nov 26 2010, 04:18 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Nov 26 2010, 04:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Region: Sweden (Europe)

Also a fun fact, seems like sweden is the second most interested country when it comes to ns2. Finland tops the list.
    <a href="http://www.google.com/trends?q=natural+selection+2" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/trends?q=natural+selection+2</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well in ENSL the 2nd most popular country has been Finland and Germany being the 1st (also 10x populaton).

<a href="http://www.ensl.org/about/statistics" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/about/statistics</a>

The reason for what is probably because Internet was available from very early on here in Finland and there were extensive HL1 scenes for games like Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Natural Selection (oh the good days..). Maybe it also has do with the dark and cold winters we have here. =P
  • N_3N_3 &#092;o/ Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27291Members, Constellation
    Australia (woop woop Perth).
    There used to be a sizable singaporean ns1 community.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    US midwest
    pre-ordered as soon as it was announced :)
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    Region: Universe, Local Cluster, Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Western Hemisphere, Europe, United Kingdom, England, Manchester
    Bandwagon-date: Since Beta 155
  • nervcorenervcore Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75291Members
    I'm from Singapore. And yes I am planning to play this game. Scratch that. I am about to buy the game now. We could connect to AU servers, we should get better pings than compared to connecting to the states if there are no local servers.
  • ben1099ben1099 Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75282Members
    Thanks everyone for their contributions so far =)
    Hopefully more people just post for the sake of the fun and make friends through the thread..
    ^_^ I'm actually from singapore too. luckily there are some dudes who play this out of the 5million population we have xD
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    Derbyshire, United Kingdom but currently living in Malta underneath Italy for work :)
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    edited November 2010
    Region: Austria (Europe)

NS1 since Beta 1 :)
  • KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    region: North America
    state: Wisconsin

since: ns 1.0 use to have a clan server for a while

excited to bite marine's heads off, no matter where they are from ;)
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
  • nervcorenervcore Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75291Members
    yeah well, i've played the game. all I can say is, NS2 is a diamond in the making. It needs further cutting and then polishing.
  • ben1099ben1099 Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75282Members
    I played NS 1 too though it was introduced to me from a friend =)
    I played it till the local servers died out :(
    Hopefully the general progress in global connection will ease that problem.
    I've always envision a network where players can play together globally (which is one of the reasons why refuse to buy SC2 as it bans cross region play)
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1811143:date=Nov 27 2010, 07:37 AM:name=thecowsaysmoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thecowsaysmoo @ Nov 27 2010, 07:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811143"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->region: North America
    state: Wisconsin

since: ns 1.0 use to have a clan server for a while

excited to bite marine's heads off, no matter where they are from ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Another Wisconsinite? ###### YEAH
    :D