Should I buy now or wait?

wallerwaller Join Date: 2004-04-28 Member: 28281Members
Hi,

I've been a member here a while, and I played NS1 quite a bit.

I have seen a lot of chat around here about problems, releasing the beta too early etc... I do not wish to buy a game simply to be a 'tester', I want to enjoy the game, playing on active public servers. Is this too much to ask at the moment, or should I wait some more weeks before I make my purchase?

I wouldn't like to be put off buy the game, if it's not currently in a good way.

Thanks, James.

Comments

• PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    edited November 2010
    BUY NOW!!!
    You will not regret it.

And yes, you ask too much right now, but lets see for next patch.
    Anyway, if you <a href="http://www.naturalselection2.com/buy" target="_blank">pre-order now</a> you are giving your support to UWE and then they can keep developing the game.
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    Does buying now or later actually make a difference if you're still going to purchase it in the end anyway?

The game for the most part at the moment is completely amazing and is only going to rapidly improve over the next few weeks. I'd say buy now!

Be warned though for some reason this forum has got it's trolls lurking around trying to rob money from a fantastic indie developer; so please take everything that's said with a pinch of salt.
  • wallerwaller Join Date: 2004-04-28 Member: 28281Members
    Okay, I have just purchased now. So I guess I'll be the judge. I'm quite a short-sighted person, so if I'm not impressed by the game, I will probably forget about it in a week or so. I wouldn't want to do that if the game isn't completed, as I spent so much time on the original.

How are trolls trying to steal money?!
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1810072:date=Nov 25 2010, 12:25 AM:name=waller)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (waller @ Nov 25 2010, 12:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, I have just purchased now. So I guess I'll be the judge. I'm quite a short-sighted person, so if I'm not impressed by the game, I will probably forget about it in a week or so. I wouldn't want to do that if the game isn't completed, as I spent so much time on the original.

How are trolls trying to steal money?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

General miss leading comments or uninformed opinions based on their random perception of how the game is progressing. These comments are generally highly inflammatory and garner a large backlash from those of us who actually have a grip on reality and thus could potentially damage the games appeal to some players.
    edited November 2010
    They keep saying nonsense things about the game, but with every patch the game is a lot better and more playable.
    For instance, I'm from Argentina, so my ping is really high, so my fps is less than others, but I can play it almost smooth as you can see on the NS2HD videos. It's already a great game, and when is finished you'll not play any other game for a long, long time.
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1810073:date=Nov 25 2010, 12:28 AM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Nov 25 2010, 12:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->General miss leading comments or uninformed opinions based on their random perception of how the game is progressing. These comments are generally highly inflammatory and garner a large backlash from those of us who actually have a grip on reality and thus could potentially damage the games appeal to some players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ahhh ok, I wondered why there was a lot of hate around here. Just kids I guess. I've been looking at screen shots and the likes whilst I'm downloading, just remembered how fun the game was! I see you're from the UK. Will have to join me in a game sometime.

Thanks for the advice!

<!--quoteo(post=1810074:date=Nov 25 2010, 12:29 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Nov 25 2010, 12:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They keep saying nonsense things about the game, but with every patch the game is a lot better and more playable.
    For instance, I'm from Argentina, so my ping is really high, so my fps is less than others, but I can play it almost smooth as you can see on the NS2HD videos. It's already a great game, and when is finished you'll not play any other game for a long, long time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

PaiSand, your ping shouldn't really affect your FPS but that's not really for this thread.
  • JerunkJerunk Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9659Members
    Whoa, the game is still in beta, if you're expecting a completely playable game then you seem to be confused, the beta phase is the testing phase.
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1810077:date=Nov 25 2010, 12:32 AM:name=Jerunk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jerunk @ Nov 25 2010, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whoa, the game is still in beta, if you're expecting a completely playable game then you seem to be confused, the beta phase is the testing phase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perhaps I'm used to Google betas?

Well it's all purchased now, I didn't take much convincing. Will hope it improves fast enough to keep me hooked :)
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    The game in my experience still has some annoying bugs and performance issues especially when there's a lot of buildings in the game but other than that I love it and I actually play it every day now instead of SC2.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i wouldnt say its playable right now. The servers are not crashing anymore all the time, the lag is little bit better also fps wise, but now all the balance issues start to appear...
    though those should be much easier to fix! You can take a close look at which fantastic game will NS2 become with a little bit of fantasy :)
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    even if you forget about it in a week, you know you'll be back when the game is released, so just buy it. you're not losing anything.
    Just got back from playing, took me 30 minutes to get on a server and WOW the FPS LAG!

Will try again tomorrow.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    Well, I would have said "if you can afford it, buy now, play later." If you're impressionable early, then now is not a great time to play. It's in testing. I'm recommending some of my friends to wait on playing so that they get the best of impressions. I'd like to encourage them to buy it, though.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was one of the Guys who couldn't play the game till it hit beta days ago.
    I fell in love with NS 1 immediately and though i couldn't play it at first iam hooked about how the beta works.

You must have luck to find a nice game, with good performance and nice players but it does totally reward you if you keep playing.
    Had my first 30 minute match today and the graphics, gameplay and overall atmossphere was amazing.

At first you may be a little dissapointed, but UWE is doing a great job and this game will purely grow top-notch!

Some gaming site once said "NS has so many innovations you cant count them" - i really believe this is the case here, too.
    The Powergrid system is just an incredible idea, Dynamic Infestation will improve that, too. The sounds are very well done, too - kudos to Simon i love you! :D

You <i>will</i> enjoy this game in the future.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    there's difference between:
    client performance lag (as in fps, BY FAR cpu limited)
    server performance lag (also cpu, must be a REALLY good server cpu for smooth interaction with others online!)
    net lag (the regular kind of lag over the interwebs)

right now UWE needs to fix the first two, and your gameplay experience can change DRASTICALLY depending on which server you join!
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    Just read the forums. When the majority of posts are about how awesome the game is, that's the time to buy. At least that's how I roll.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    we will call you newb, but ourself oldsql... so, you know what you have to do...
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810067:date=Nov 25 2010, 12:19 AM:name=waller)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (waller @ Nov 25 2010, 12:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi,

I've been a member here a while, and I played NS1 quite a bit.

I have seen a lot of chat around here about problems, releasing the beta too early etc... I do not wish to buy a game simply to be a 'tester', I want to enjoy the game, playing on active public servers. Is this too much to ask at the moment, or should I wait some more weeks before I make my purchase?

I wouldn't like to be put off buy the game, if it's not currently in a good way.

Thanks, James.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not going to get cheaper if you buy later, so you may as well get it now and simply don't play it if you don't like it yet.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    Yeah you should've waited for Fall 2009
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Refer to the thread I just made. Buy now or else the Kharaa will kill you.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    Did not have to read the thread. Buy now.
    He already did it and already joined a game.
    Now is time to get others to buy it.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810217:date=Nov 25 2010, 02:58 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Nov 25 2010, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810217"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He already did it and already joined a game.
    Now is time to get others to buy it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is the proper mindset :D

We must spread over the internets, linking to NS2HD's videos, whispering in forums and chat rooms about the indie AAA game poised to addict everyone to its online matches.
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    I wouldn't encourage anyone from the general public to buy ns2 at the moment... the only reason i brought ns2 was to thank UWE for ns1 and give them a chance to make ns2 into something I like.

I disagree with macs, alien commanders etc etc. NS2 is looking to be a completely different game from NS1, its to early to tell if it will be for the better or worse.

I suppose the ability to mod the game might end up being the savior. I've already started getting my head around the LUA, like most 4GL it's pretty quick to pickup... but i find it a little difficult to debug.