Clipbrushing

Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT DeputyThe Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
edited November 2010 in Mapping
<div class="IPBDescription">Some bugs</div>After testing a bit of the brushwork in the clipbrush group CollisionGeometry, I found a few bugs with it. And though it might feel more at home on the Mapping forums

<ul><li>Fade blink can't go trough it, meaning you can't blink behind a fence onto a catwalk, instead you blink ontop of the railing. But here's the more annoying thing, blinking from that catwalk down into an open area is also impossible as you also just blink on top of the railing. Slows you down as a Fade significantly as you are only presented 2 options:
- Bllink on the railing followed by another blink down into the open area, wasting energy
- Jumping on the railing and then blinking, slowing you down</li><li>Lerk spikes can be shot trough the clipbrushing without any problem, but the zoomed in sniper spikes can't be shot trough the clipbrush</li><li>Skulk Parasite and the Gorge spit can't shoot trough it, it seems projectile based weapons are hindered in their movement. <strike>I haven't tested grenades or the Flamer yet,because my map is just a Marinestart atm</strike>. And I don't know if there are any console commands to cheat those in...

The flamer passes trough the clipbrushing as does the damage

the Grenadelauncher is prevented from passing trough the clipbrush, but the splash or area damage effect does go trough

</li><li>Hyrdra's and probably sentries and Whips can't see me trough the clipbrushing

<b>Some other targeting issues, not related to clipbrushing</b>
<ul><li>It also seems they can't see me if I'm below them (a level lower), But actually right next to them.</li><li>The sentry stops shooting when you are right in front of it (up close and personal so to speak :D ) and the animation turning circle is bigger then the detection circle. I've tested it by standing next to one as a skulk and the sentry does aim at you, but doesn't detect you and happily keeps cycling trough it's searchmode animation.</li></ul></li></ul>

I've seen the Skulk wallwalk animation being completely weird on the fences of catwalks, so this is where I've put some of the CollisionGeometry faces. But this produces the bugs I've mentioned

Comments

• chubbystevechubbysteve Join Date: 2002-10-14 Member: 1496Members, Constellation
    Maybe worth doing a bulletclip, playerclip, thisclip, thatclip like... I think hl2 has quite a few clips dunnit? Maybe.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Cheers, Passing on.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1809916:date=Nov 24 2010, 07:17 PM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ Nov 24 2010, 07:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cheers, Passing on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not sure if your read the latest edit :P

I've added a bit more also none clipbrushing related
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2010
    Wow, the first doublepost I have ever made! Just imagine there is no lag or buffer overflows!
    edited November 2010
    <i>WTF IS GOING ON HERE (double double post?)</i>
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Got it.

cheats 1
    dev 1

think giveweapon flamethrower ??? or give or just flamethrower - try those.
    edited November 2010
    Heh just tried some, it is:

give >insert weapon here<

flamer goes trough them, not sure if it is the areadamage or something though...

Lol it seems you can do this to anything.

give marine (spawns a none AI bot it seems)
    give flamethrower
    give grenadelauncher
    give fade (also spawns a none AI bot, when you are on the alien or marine team and use this it spawns a none AI bot teammate called NsPlayer(#), if you keep changing teams, they won't all show up on the scoreboard, weird ghost bots :P)

give cookies! <- my favorite