Grenade Launcher Spam

googleeyesgoogleeyes Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75018Members
Once Marines get the grenade launcher and start spamming grenades everywhere on every building and alien there is pretty much nothing you can do. That in combination with the flame thrower is unstoppable. It get's kind of boring when grenades are being launched by every player. One positive thing about the original NS and designated weapon drops was that not everyone had the most powerful weapons. Now since anyone can upgrade everyone can be running around with them. Ends up making marines pretty OP.

Maybe because there aren't all the features yet aka an ONOS to counter the heavy weapons? It seems like if you are alien right now you have to do a quick kind of build and rush strat to win because as soon as the marines get their upgrades you're screwed.

Comments

• PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    It is by no means balanced. To be balanced we need to wait a little longer, first comes bug fixes and adding what is left to.

Actually, I enjoy to see the marines team spamming that way and I can't do much about it. =)
  • Hot CoffeeHot Coffee Join Date: 2010-11-03 Member: 74744Members, Constellation
    My favorite thing to do at this stage in the game is to walk into a hive room spewing flames everywhere yelling "GET SOME!!! GET SOME!!!" as helpless eggs get cooked to death.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    A lot stuff can and will be changed.

Things i see coming:

Overall cost will be increased.

Nadeluncher:
    GL will only have ~2 nades max.
    GL dmg is ok. (if you lower max ammo)

Flamethrower:
    Ammo will be decreased by a lot, clip size maybe too
    Blind-effect will be changed - A LOT, so it doesnt blind but still tells you that you are burning.
    Dmg against aliens and structures is ok.

Lmg:
    fine

Pistol:
    fine

Shotgun:
    Clipsize will be increased? (saw that under progress some time ago)
    Spread is unpredictable (and too wide?)... maybe because we dont see the bulletholes/bloodsplatter - we cant get used to it...
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Yes yes yes this is the biggest gameplay problem.

Aliens can easily dominate the game until the marines get GL and flamethrowers. The game is only balanced in the way that each side takes turns to pwn the other :P
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Heh, the Onos isn't even in yet. But for now it could do with a decrease in damage...
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809031:date=Nov 23 2010, 07:23 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 23 2010, 07:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809031"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Heh, the Onos isn't even in yet. But for now it could do with a decrease in damage...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:C
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1809032:date=Nov 23 2010, 07:24 AM:name=Snougar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Snougar @ Nov 23 2010, 07:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:C<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sorry I killed you, but you were sniping me :P
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809035:date=Nov 23 2010, 07:26 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 23 2010, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sorry I killed you, but you were sniping me :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha s'all good ;P

Kinda hoping that they do actually do something with the damage the flamethrower and grenades do. I mean, you can edit them yourself in the luas from what ive gathered...
  • NimbatNimbat Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75146Members
    edited November 2010
    Hey now, the shotgun is absolutely fine. I love it to bits and it's extremely effective against skulks and fades. Nothing needs to be done about it at the moment afaik.

I'm just so happy I can play decently right now that I don't really care that much about balance :)
    But yeah, grenade and flamethrower needs some polish.
  • hartrafthartraft Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72468Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809011:date=Nov 23 2010, 04:15 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 23 2010, 04:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lot stuff can and will be changed.

Things i see coming:

Overall cost will be increased.

Nadeluncher:
    GL will only have ~2 nades max.
    GL dmg is ok. (if you lower max ammo)

Flamethrower:
    Ammo will be decreased by a lot, clip size maybe too
    Blind-effect will be changed - A LOT, so it doesnt blind but still tells you that you are burning.
    Dmg against aliens and structures is ok.

Lmg:
    fine

Pistol:
    fine

Shotgun:
    Clipsize will be increased? (saw that under progress some time ago)
    Spread is unpredictable (and too wide?)... maybe because we dont see the bulletholes/bloodsplatter - we cant get used to it...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont think the damage of the grenade launcher is acceptable considering the blast radius is massive. it can kill me from across the room when im up in a vent no where near where it went off :p
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Is the GL still killing aliens through walls like in previous releases?
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809006:date=Nov 23 2010, 02:06 AM:name=Hot Coffee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hot Coffee @ Nov 23 2010, 02:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My favorite thing to do at this stage in the game is to walk into a hive room spewing flames everywhere yelling "GET SOME!!! GET SOME!!!" as helpless eggs get cooked to death.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me too!
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    GL and Flamer spam say hello to ninja crags.

Considering the GL completely ignores walls, it evens the sides up nicely.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    an alt fire that shoots a fast grenade that explodes on impact is inherently imbalanced. Look in the general direction of a skulk and right click, it dies. Bad design decision to make one at all.
  • TheCaptainTheCaptain Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10390Members
    Right now, armor is broken, so it doesn't properly protect against any weapons (especially nade vs. fade where armor would help)

Grenades right now do normal damage instead of structural as suggested in an old blog post. This means they do 300 to structures and players.

Grenades shoot through walls in this build (fixed in next build)

Grenades do linear falloff damage up to 10m (So at 5m, you get 150 damage)

Grenades explode on contact.

Fixed nades would do structural damage (300 to structures, 150 to players), bounce on contact with non players instead of exploding on contact like in NS1 (but explode when hitting players or structures), and do squared falloff damage so units at 5m would have a better chance of survival. This keeps them in their role of killing structures and groups of units, and less of an 'I win' button.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Even though grenades are ridiculous at the moment, that doesn't mean every round ends with the Marines blowing everything up. If the Kharaa keep the Marine tech bottlenecked, it generally gives you a pretty solid game. Even fades seem pretty fair as long as you can land shots on them. Unfortunately, I haven't had much chance to play with the flamethrower, though.
  • FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1809104:date=Nov 23 2010, 11:41 AM:name=Pyromaniac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pyromaniac @ Nov 23 2010, 11:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->an alt fire that shoots a fast grenade that explodes on impact is inherently imbalanced. Look in the general direction of a skulk and right click, it dies. Bad design decision to make one at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This, even noobtubes (which actually are less bogus than the GL and FT atm) in CoD/BC2 handicap you a little. And hi Pyro.
  • Dauntl3ssDauntl3ss Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7737Members
    This is only semi-relevant, but I'm posting it anyways.. I wonder why UWE insists on having the tier hierarchy on the Alien classes and Marine weapons.

Why not do it TF2 style and have many choices available at start, with various strengths and weaknesses? Classes and weapons that complement each other while requiring team-work to be effective. Upgrades that makes them better as the game progresses, instead of Flamethrower > Shotgun > Rifle or Fade > Lerk > Skulk etc.

Would make the game much more interesting as well as varied, imo.
  • FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809162:date=Nov 23 2010, 01:20 PM:name=Dauntl3ss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dauntl3ss @ Nov 23 2010, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Flamethrower > Shotgun > Rifle or Fade > Lerk > Skulk etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not the way it is supposed to be, afaik. And it already isn't in some cases- Fade and lerk come to mind.
    Once all the weapons are more balanced, hopefully people will have to vary more.
    Was there any sort of weapon-limit per team in NS1 or did the balance cause people to be more sensible?
    The only thing limiting people were resources. Once HMG and GL was in play, you would always want a HMG, and maybe one guy with a GL.

HMG was better than the SMG in every way, except reload time.

I love how TF2 has no cookie cutter weapons, like a rifle or machine guns. All the <a href="http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Category:Weapons" target="_blank">TF2 Weapons</a> have strengths and weaknesses. Not saying I want NS2 to be just like TF2 (and for the record, I haven't played TF2 since 2008 or so), but I'd like to see some of the thought behind the foundation of the gameplay, highly affected by the weaponry/classes, present in the development of NS2.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1809162:date=Nov 23 2010, 01:20 PM:name=Dauntl3ss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dauntl3ss @ Nov 23 2010, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is only semi-relevant, but I'm posting it anyways.. I wonder why UWE insists on having the tier hierarchy on the Alien classes and Marine weapons.

Why not do it TF2 style and have many choices available at start, with various strengths and weaknesses? Classes and weapons that complement each other while requiring team-work to be effective. Upgrades that makes them better as the game progresses, instead of Flamethrower > Shotgun > Rifle or Fade > Lerk > Skulk etc.

Would make the game much more interesting as well as varied, imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because then you would have absolutley no progress at all in the game...

That's like making Starcraft 2 in such a way that you can build carriers/motherships/battlecruisers/ultralisks from the moment you start the round.
    While it would be fun for 5 minutes it takes all the challenge and depth out of the game, it would make it even LESS varied because everybody would just use what's considered "the best" from the first minute of the round instead of beeing forced to make due with whatever he has access to right now.

Btw i also disagree that "once HMG and GL was in play you would always want a HMG".
    That one of the most common and biggest mistakes i've seen many commanders go...

HMG damage against buildings is halfed and it lacks burst damage to properly kill fades, throwing a couple of shotguns into the whole HMG/GL mix allways works out better.
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809167:date=Nov 23 2010, 10:31 PM:name=FluffyM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FluffyM @ Nov 23 2010, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was there any sort of weapon-limit per team in NS1 or did the balance cause people to be more sensible?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No there wasn't a limit, but resources simply dictated what you could dole out. If you could spam HMGs and GLs on everyone, you'd typically have so much of the map already that victory was all but assured. Early on you had things like solo jetpackers with HMGs assassinating Hives, and that ran true throughout the game's lifespan; typically, only a few players on a Marine team would have something other than a LMG, and comms tended to hand them out to players who had demonstrated their ability to aim.

That being said, Lvl 3 LMGs were pretty beastly.
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1809180:date=Nov 23 2010, 01:59 PM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Nov 23 2010, 01:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because then you would have absolutley no progress at all in the game...

That's like making Starcraft 2 in such a way that you can build carriers/motherships/battlecruisers/ultralisks from the moment you start the round.
    While it would be fun for 5 minutes it takes all the challenge and depth out of the game, it would make it even LESS varied because everybody would just use what's considered "the best" from the first minute of the round instead of beeing forced to make due with whatever he has access to right now.

Btw i also disagree that "once HMG and GL was in play you would always want a HMG".
    That one of the most common and biggest mistakes i've seen many commanders go...

HMG damage against buildings is halfed and it lacks burst damage to properly kill fades, throwing a couple of shotguns into the whole HMG/GL mix allways works out better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks for the insight. I wasn't aware HMG dmg on buildings were halved. I'm still curious about shotguns though, they sure have higher burst dmg and work well vs Fades, but considering HMGs can pump out constant dmg with that high ammo per clip count they are kind of good vs everything and not outright bad vs anything, while not as situational as the shotgun.

I'd like to comment on your StarCraft 2 comment though, which I humbly disagree to.
    Let me start of by saying that even though I want more classes/weapons to be available at earlier stages of the game, that doesn't mean I want their full potential and skill/ability set to be available at the same time. Researching/unlocking upgrades through getting more tech points would be a requirement, so that all classes/weapons remain useful at the later stages of the game.

Let's look at SC2, while in the early game, each race has a set of units available. Take protoss; Zealots, Stalkers and Sentires all have to be in the mix for them to be effective in the early game. While researches like Charge and Blink makes them useful and cost-effective at the later stages in the game.

Marines and Marauders have stim and Zerglings have their speed upgrade, though these upgrades are usually gotten very early, so one can't really say they are late-game tech. But most (if not all) of these units retain their usefulness throught the game. (Some of them scale badly with attack/armor upgrades, so they aren't as useful).

I'm very much for synergy between classes/weapons, and sure, in the mid- to late-game that will be very present, but during the early game, one really only has one or two choices. Marines will have rifles and Aliens will be mostly skulks and maybe a gorge or two. I like having options and variety instead of being "forced" into a role.

Honestly, I'd like to see more weapons and classes overall. One could keep the research and tier structure that is in the game now, but adding options that supplement the already present ones.

Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I tearing down the foundations of what you feel is NS? :p

Also, I'm very open minded about this, I might change my mind as we continue discussion, but I just feel like discussing these core designs of the game.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I think NS had a lot of dynamics on how the teamplay adapted to the situation. Instead of having rigid roles like TF2, NS had a dozen things you could do as a single marine or alien and all depended on the situation. For example instead of having a squad of engineer, medic and soldier, you had a squad of 3 marines with 1 shotgun and a welder in a specific game time with a plenty of factors revolving around time, rescoures, tech and all that. Depending on the situation you might have none or all the guys building, sometimes shotgun was supposed to shoot a node, sometimes cover, sometimes build, sometimes even weld. The same goes for the vast majority of alien play. Instead of having 7 relatively inflexible classes you had a handful of multitools that had to be organised to the most efficient use.

The problem with such system was that a lot of people never understood it to the full. You had to understand the RTS game progress to some extend to be able to make those decisions on your own. Usually people had one mindset for one gun or alien, which then lacked the ability to adapt to the gameplay situation.

Later on public games slowly grew into 32 player bloodbaths where there was no way to control and communicate situations enough and no need to use players efficiently since you basically had a handful of everything everywhere. Also, the alien res model slowed their tech progress down on higher playercounts, which allowed marines to play safe instead of efficient on many situations.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    edited November 2010
    Honestly Dauntl3ss, I think the 'unlocking' of more powerful lifeforms and weapons (either through tech or time to gather resources) is something that is quite central to the NS experience.

Generally I like the idea of multiple balanced options (and Charlie has said that he's trying to make sure all units and weapons retain a use even in late game) but more for a pure FPS. Whilst you make good points about upgrades for weapons instead of upgrades to access them, I think different states of the same adds an extra layer of complexity that doesn't really add that much depth, and would be very confusing until you learn the game.

UWE are trying to go for accessibility as well as depth and lets face it NS2 is looking pretty complex to jump into as it is! Being 'forced' to learn the rifle marine and skulk as a base line is probably a good thing to get the player to experience the game play. I don't know about you but I feel slightly overwhelmed when starting class based game and only feel comfortable many tens of hours in when I got a reasonable feel of all the different combinations, I don't think that's what they want to go for.

But I'd be perfectly willing to try your version of NS2 and in fact I'd already sketched down a mod concept that was based choosing any weapon as your default and make sure they were all balanced :D.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1809162:date=Nov 23 2010, 12:20 PM:name=Dauntl3ss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dauntl3ss @ Nov 23 2010, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is only semi-relevant, but I'm posting it anyways.. I wonder why UWE insists on having the tier hierarchy on the Alien classes and Marine weapons.

Would make the game much more interesting as well as varied, imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A degree of progression is important, choice at the start is not bad, but escalating the game over time lengthens the appeal.

The most obvious comparison for me is empires mod, the game gets boring really fast if you stay at top tier tech for too long, the best games are the ones that run through the tech tree with fighting going on all the way, and finish fairly soon after reaching top tier.

The changing technology keeps the game varied, it's a twist factor that makes the game change constantly, once that is removed the game loses a big part of its variety.

Choice at start = more variety, but removal of progression = less variey, and unfortunately choice at start + progression will usually = overcomplication.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1809204:date=Nov 23 2010, 02:59 PM:name=Dauntl3ss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dauntl3ss @ Nov 23 2010, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I tearing down the foundations of what you feel is NS? :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually yes that's what i would feel about such a change.
    Or to stay with the current example Starcraft2: Most base T1 units stay viable trough the whole game, yes you upgrade them but you also unlock new tiers of units but even with that the base T1 units still have a role and purpose.

Something similiar will probably happen in NS2, you don't just have new Tiers that replace the old ones but upgrades for the old ones so they stay viable. The grenade launcher upgrade is a good example for this, sure you might have miniguns/HMG's at some point maybe even real grenade launchers but you still will have people running around with LMG's that maybe have nerve-gas grenades or something like that.

But one of the most basic reaons for me is pretty simple: It's fun it gives you motivation
    It's way more fun to know "if we hold this resnode the commander will be able to research jetpacks and i will be able to fly around!" instead of "i started the round with a jetpack when i hold this resnode the commander will be able to research an upgrade so it has 10% more flight time. Yay?"

Tiers give the player something to look forward to to unlock, it's basicly a reward for doing good. Just like leveling up in RPG's gives you access to new talents, or leveling up in call of duty gives you access to new weapons. It's basicly all the same and even TF2 works with that system as you don't start out with all the aviable weapons/hats but you rather have to find/build them.
  • TheCaptainTheCaptain Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10390Members
    It has been stated in dev blogs (eg: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/6/damage_types_in_ns2)" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010...e_types_in_ns2)</a> that the goal is for all weapons and creatures to remain viable throughout the game, which seems similar to the Starcraft model. I have no doubt that some serious balancing balancing and bugfixing will take place to ensure that no weapon or creature is too powerful.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Two main changes I'd like to see with the GL:

1) Make it do friendly damage (or at least to the guy using it). It's BS they can just aim at their feet and stop any skulk rush.

2) Drastically reduce the damage. It should probably kill an armor 0 skulk in 1 hit, but should take 2 hits if any kind of upgrade. Hydras need to take 2 grenades to die (currently 1). And the fade needs to be able to take 5 or 6 grenades. The fade it far too weak right now. It can't live long enough to take out a sentry if another one is firing on it. I LOLed at a fade attacking me and another marine with GLs. We both fired at our feet and the fade was dead instantly.
  • ArakashArakash Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69954Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    well, the radius of the grenade lauuncher is way too big. I modified the grenade lua file to make it deal friendly damage and it wasn't usable anymore because of the gigantic splash.^^ (which i then decreased as well, but thats another story).
    We could edit the lua files ourselves, to "balance" the game, but since the server and the client need the same files it would only tear the community apart. Let's wait for UWE to adjust it themselves :)