Whip Balance/bugs

QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
edited November 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">The Whip needs some tweaks</div>After playing the beta extensively over the weekend, I got to play with the Whip quite a bit. The Whip has a few issues.

First, the mele upgrades don't work if you upgrade to a mature whip. Doesn't make sense that you need a vanilla Whip to be able to upgrade anything (same goes for the crag).
Secondly, the skulk leap upgrade is broken. You can research it, but you don't get the full leap. The icon is of a harvester too, btw.

Balance-wise, the Whip needs to do MUCH more damage to marine structures. It is extremely weak. I try to put a few whips around to protect against ninja sentry drops, but it takes a full minute for a whip to take out a sentry, and a MAC can build a sentry to 90% before the Whip takes the MAC out. Increase the damage to structures by 3-4x. I thought the Whip should do more damage to structures and the hydra more to marines. But right now it seems the hydra is superior in both roles. The blog says the Whip is supposed to be able to attack more than one structure at a time, but don't think that's the case right now.

Also, the whip won't attack targets that are not on the same level as it. So all a marine has to do is jump on top of it, or get 2 inches below it and they can take it out without being attacked. Pretty lame way to lose a whip.

It's missing the uproot and bombard functions too, but I'm sure you know that.

Comments

• Shatner's BassoonShatner's Bassoon Join Date: 2010-11-18 Member: 74999Members
    I think the Bombard upgrade (not implemented yet) is meant for taking out structures.

In one game the whip killed a marine then continued to beat his corpse until the end of the game, I couldn't get it to stop in commander mode. It was built right next to a hive, not sure if that's relevant.
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808634:date=Nov 22 2010, 01:41 PM:name=Shatner's Bassoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shatner's Bassoon @ Nov 22 2010, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In one game the whip killed a marine then continued to beat his corpse until the end of the game, I couldn't get it to stop in commander mode. It was built right next to a hive, not sure if that's relevant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HAHAHAH

That's awesome.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808634:date=Nov 22 2010, 01:41 PM:name=Shatner's Bassoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shatner's Bassoon @ Nov 22 2010, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the Bombard upgrade (not implemented yet) is meant for taking out structures.

In one game the whip killed a marine then continued to beat his corpse until the end of the game, I couldn't get it to stop in commander mode. It was built right next to a hive, not sure if that's relevant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

having to wait after several years of development, wouldn't <i>you </i>want to continually beat a corpse the first time you kill a marine?
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Bombard is a triggered ability. The aliens need a strong PASSIVE ability counter to ninja sentries.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808634:date=Nov 22 2010, 06:41 PM:name=Shatner's Bassoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shatner's Bassoon @ Nov 22 2010, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the Bombard upgrade (not implemented yet) is meant for taking out structures.

In one game the whip killed a marine then continued to beat his corpse until the end of the game, I couldn't get it to stop in commander mode. It was built right next to a hive, not sure if that's relevant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

SHATNERS BASSOON!!! ROLFMAO!!!
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    Whips make a nasty surprise for a marine if they're well hidden. Two whip hits kills a marine, just has to be well placed.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808645:date=Nov 22 2010, 10:55 AM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Nov 22 2010, 10:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whips make a nasty surprise for a marine if they're well hidden. Two whip hits kills a marine, just has to be well placed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed, but the aliens have nothing to stop structures. A lame tactic I tried as marine was to research replicate, have a train of 4-5 MACs go repair the power node in a hive, then spam all the sentries with Replicate I could right next to the hive. The hive goes down in about 20 seconds. Nothing the aliens can do about it. If they bite down a sentry, I just replicate another one in its place. I had this done to me as the alien commander one time. I tried to defend against it with whips (3-4), but they didn't take down the sentries fast enough, and it takes 5 minutes for a whip to take out a power node again.

The only effective solution the aliens have right now is to spam some sort of structure (it doesn't matter what) to the left of the hives so there is no room for the sentries to warp in. This of course crashes the server.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    leap upgrade works. you have to evolve the upgrade as a skulk.
    <!--quoteo(post=1808656:date=Nov 22 2010, 11:25 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Nov 22 2010, 11:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->leap upgrade works. you have to evolve the upgrade as a skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh...I missed that. How do you do that?
    That seems a little odd though. You should have that upgrade globally when the research is done, and not have to upgrade every time you die.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    open the buy menu as a skulk, the purchusable upgrades are at the bottoms with icons. Strangely enough, when leap is upgraded and available, the icon is blank (looks like fade swipe before it's upgraded)
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    edited November 2010
    The whip is all but worthless as a defensive/offensive structure except in certain areas of the map due to its poor range. On rockdown I could only really find two choke points for aliens where I could set up a position where marines couldn't hit the whip with an LMG/pistol without being in range of it.

However, when I got those positions set up, they never broke past it until they got grenade launchers/flamethrowers. They pack a very heavy punch to them, especially when you force marines to be in range of two of them at a time. Combined with crags, they served as very effective stopping points for 4v4 games. However, I'm sure it'd be a little easier to run past them to shoot them with larger teams where more people can sacrifice themselves. Of course, that's assuming no aliens are nearby to defend.

<!--quoteo(post=1808643:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:53 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Nov 22 2010, 12:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bombard is a triggered ability. The aliens need a strong PASSIVE ability counter to ninja sentries.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you sure? I thought I remembered the tooltip indicated that the bombard was an upgrade for mature whips, like they would upgrade to bombard whips.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    The whip's only current use is early detection of marine pushes.

No static defense should be invulnerable, but neither should they be defenseless. Buff the attack area to about 1/2 an average room's diameter and we'll all be happy. They are commander placed murderous blender zones right now and that's awesome. They just need a little dev lovin' is all.
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808683:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:22 PM:name=Stele007)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stele007 @ Nov 22 2010, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you sure? I thought I remembered the tooltip indicated that the bombard was an upgrade for mature whips, like they would upgrade to bombard whips.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Their blog post for the Whip says Bombard is a triggered ability where the commander has to pick a target.

Like I said, something needs to be changed to protect the aliens from the replicate insta-win. That means making whips be able to take out sentries quickly, or nerf the replicate ability somehow, like making replicated structures take 10 seconds to become active. Right now it's pretty lame how you can place a sentry turret anywhere or the map that is already built and ready to fire. As it is right now, once the marines have 2 CCs and some resources, it's game over with replication spam--spam 4 sentries next to the hive, take the hive out, then put your own pre-built CC there with IPs. You can take out a hive and build an entire marine base there before the aliens can even get back to the hive to protect it! It's just a wee bit overpowered I'd say...

Whips should be able to take out a sentry turret in just 2 swipes. Perhaps tie-in the massive damage boost in with the mature whip upgrade so the aliens can't just plop down 4 whips in a marine base and insta-win themselves. Taking the time and resources to upgrade them should give the marines time to counter.

I have tried the whip-rush tactic myself, however. I had 4 drifters stationed close to the marine base, then built them all around the IPs and CC once the marines left. The marines have little chance once they are all up, as they die instantly after they spawn, and the commander dies too if he gets out. The defence against this is to have sentries in the base that kills the drifters before they change into whips. One marine can also take them out if he is in the area and out of the attack range.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808698:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:00 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Nov 22 2010, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Their blog post for the Whip says Bombard is a triggered ability where the commander has to pick a target.

Like I said, something needs to be changed to protect the aliens from the replicate insta-win. That means making whips be able to take out sentries quickly, or nerf the replicate ability somehow, like making replicated structures take 10 seconds to become active. Right now it's pretty lame how you can place a sentry turret anywhere or the map that is already built and ready to fire. As it is right now, once the marines have 2 CCs and some resources, it's game over with replication spam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could just make sentries impossible to replicate.

That's the easy fix and I think Unknown Worlds wants some of those right now.

<3 Devs!
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Regarding the sentry insta-win:

Shouldn't taking out the hive room power node first thing in the game counter that? Put a whip next to the power node to clobber any MAC that tries to repair it.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I'm sure once uproot is implemented, Whips will be much more dangerous than being just around the corner.
    <!--quoteo(post=1808708:date=Nov 22 2010, 01:30 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Nov 22 2010, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Regarding the sentry insta-win:

Shouldn't taking out the hive room power node first thing in the game counter that? Put a whip next to the power node to clobber any MAC that tries to repair it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It still takes a whip 4 strikes to kill a MAC. If you have a train of 2-3 MACs, they will easily get the node up before getting destroyed, and the whip will take forever to take the node down again. In the starting hive, there is no power node, and sentries still work there. They said that's a bug and that they are making a portable power node for those situations. I just hope this portable power node can't be replicated...
  • CameronCameron Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75152Members
    hopefully in higher non lagging and with mac/drifter pathing fixt people will kill the macs they see moving accross the map if not you deserved to get sentry rushed
    With the MAC speed upgrade, they are pretty hard to kill while moving.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    to be honest, i hate the whole power node system. maybe i change my mind once all features are in, including infestation etc.
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Hate the power? Loco talk! It has been great fun for me (on both sides). I just like how there are more than just resource nodes to fight over. Sort of like vespene and minerals.

Using Fury also makes those stacked whip attacks more deadly. And lockdown is definitely whip friendly (not so much tram). For example (attached), this combo will kill any marine coming through to hive before he can get into the main spawn, and unless he has nades and the aliens are totally asleep, they can't be easily taken out.
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    Given it's a new function, is there any nice handy explanation of what the intended purpose of replication is? Depending what the point is supposed to be, there might be a more general / straight forward way to stop that silliness (e.g. limiting the new building to within x of another of the same type / a CC) - or more drastically, maybe it doesn't justify its place in the game?
    edited November 2010
    Does fury affect the whip it was triggered from too or just others in range? What is the damage boost %? Whips are fine against marines (maybe even too strong), but they are nearly useless against structures in the passive role. I assume bombard will be pretty deadly to structures, but that's more of an offensive role.

And yeah, crags supporting whips and hydras make it very tough for marines to advance. But as it is, you can win the game using replicate and never have to walk out of marine start.
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    I think the replication spam won't work half as well once we get a proper amount of players in the game (at least 6v6) and both teams aren't floating hundreds of res points later on.

I haven't really used replicate myself, but limiting it to a few meters from the original building and adding a global cooldown to replication should help. It might also be good to make sentries a little more expensive (maybe 10 res?)
  • ScaryScary Join Date: 2006-12-08 Member: 58965Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I just show that BUG in whipe/craig (upgrades no available in mature) and want to inform UWE, but then i saw this thread :D

Replication > i think replication should work only near CC... MAC sentry rush is very deadly.. Replic sentry rush blow aliens brains! :/ OR, replication structure should spend very big amount of res... that will be much more ballanced then.
    <!--quoteo(post=1808829:date=Nov 22 2010, 05:56 PM:name=Stele007)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stele007 @ Nov 22 2010, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the replication spam won't work half as well once we get a proper amount of players in the game (at least 6v6) and both teams aren't floating hundreds of res points later on.

I haven't really used replicate myself, but limiting it to a few meters from the original building and adding a global cooldown to replication should help. It might also be good to make sentries a little more expensive (maybe 10 res?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True. A replication rush takes a lot of resources, but it's still very effective.
    BTW- the way replication works is you just click on a CC, select replicate, the unit you want, then click anywhere on the map to warp a pre-built one in. Like you, I assumed you needed to click on a structure, then replicate would only work a short distance around it. That's probably how it SHOULD work. That way you actually have to build at least one sentry. Observatories, CCs, and Harvesters would be exempted for obvious reasons.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited November 2010
    I think replication should require a power node at destination and origin, and that it should cost more than placing with a mac.
    Not sure I like the current system with the replication menu in cc and not in each building of that kind you wanna replicate, but if it stays in cc I guess it should require an instance of the building nearby.

About whips, I think they are awesome, not to good, nor to bad. The only thing they should get better at is killing buildings, altough if bombard will be good for that is enough (a ninja mac making sentry next to a whip should bring it down before getting whipped (pun intended), unless the alien commander pays attention.

Maybe also make whips and crags a little bit easyer to kill for the rines? Putting 3 crags and 2 whips creates an almost invulnerable forward base at marines second extractor on lockdown. Sure marines can kill stuff, but it takes so long time you can exit hive, gestate into fade and then go and kill with crag still having almost 20% left (1 rine used axe at a crag I hadnt covered with my whip :P).
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1808714:date=Nov 22 2010, 04:46 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Nov 22 2010, 04:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It still takes a whip 4 strikes to kill a MAC. If you have a train of 2-3 MACs, they will easily get the node up before getting destroyed, and the whip will take forever to take the node down again. In the starting hive, there is no power node, and sentries still work there. They said that's a bug and that they are making a portable power node for those situations. I just hope this portable power node can't be replicated...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fair enough. tbh, though, I'm surprised it takes 4 hits to kill a MAC and only two for a marine. Just seems silly to have builders tougher than soldiers.
  • ScaryScary Join Date: 2006-12-08 Member: 58965Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808879:date=Nov 23 2010, 03:45 AM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Nov 23 2010, 03:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fair enough. tbh, though, I'm surprised it takes 4 hits to kill a MAC and only two for a marine. Just seems silly to have builders tougher than soldiers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Remember of this thing: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/6/damage_types_in_ns2" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010...ge_types_in_ns2</a>

Different damage types on different things in game...
  • FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808887:date=Nov 23 2010, 03:59 AM:name=Scary)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scary @ Nov 23 2010, 03:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808887"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remember of this thing: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/6/damage_types_in_ns2" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010...ge_types_in_ns2</a>

Different damage types on different things in game...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can't believe that blogpost actually links to sirloin...