155 editor bugs

SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Anyone having issues</div>After 155 when i loaded my level in the editor some of the entities like power nodes where off rotation and position as well as rotated textures and a few faces having rectangular holes do to points overlapping that didn't before. The memory usage also builds starting at an average system and editor usage from 1GB then steadily climbs after about 10 minutes of working in it reaching approx 2GB then after selecting a prop the display goes black only showing X Y Z indicator. reloading the level give me about 10 more minutes of time in the editor but after about 5 times of this, only a system reboot gets it back up and running correctly then a repeat of the same symptoms.
I experienced this once in build 154 and figured it was a glitch but it's every time in build 155 for me.

My Specs as follows:
XP Home Edition SP 3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.2oGHz
3GB Ram

Comments

• SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    The Powernodes Center Point of Origin was moved cause Hydras where missing so yeh it unavoidably has moved the nodes for everyone.

I had not noticed any creep in memory, i will check this out.

I just want to make sure here, Have you ran the DXSetup in the ns2... redist folder?
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I Haven't since the first install. Has it been updated? The Overall game Engine runs relatively smooth for me, all things considered.

I'll run run it again and see if i get better performance. I'll also look at what other tasks i can shut down but it pegged a solid 100% CPU usage on both cores for about 2 minutes then went back to an average of 40-60% after display blanked out.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Some weard stuff happens if there are too many omni light models around. I have each area segmented into layers including lights cause it goes nuts of there are too many light ents in the view. nothing to do with what perspective mode your in. just some weard glitch so you need to keep most of the hidden for other areas.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I think it's a known error, although texture lock breakage is painful!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1807797:date=Nov 21 2010, 02:49 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Nov 21 2010, 02:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's a known error, although texture lock breakage is painful!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    GAH!
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Yeah i have 4 layers just for lights, it behaves like i have to many layers visible and the movement gets really choppy before the described Problem happens but when i first start it with a fresh boot it runs smooth as silk and gradually gets the problem. I tested by leaving it run on a fresh boot and just moused around added deleted a few props and it happened, I didn't add or remove anything from any layers.
  • WigganWiggan Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75125Members
    edited November 2010
    Hi!

I used to do some mapping to ns1, and now when I saw that the beta was out, I just had to buy it and get going again :D

Haven't read everything on the forums yet, so redundancy warning...

When I run the editor, starts up NS2 and then tab down to continue working in the editor, all the views are gone, they show background or the program behind it.
    And it's a little tedious to have to restart editor every time you tab around.

Another problem I've run into, is that I can't run my map! When I type "map test" in the console, it says something about Error:lua/Utility.lua:1184 attempt to call method "OnEntityChange" (a nil value)... And then nothing happens, just a black screen with beta build 155, F1 to give feedback...

Not that it's editor related, but any help would be appreciated! :)

*Edit*

Managed to start my map by adding startlocation for both teams and adding a gamerules!
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited November 2010
    * Lol after v154 and v155 I see some crap object which I didnt see before in my map.

* And there are some visual errors on the polygons (faces) which are more than 6 nodes.
    But only 2 places of the map shown wrong and 2 or 5 foreign objects were there.

* More than 3 times Spark Ed. crashed while drawing lines somehow.

* There are problems while selecting objects as a layer, some of them included some of them not ! Why I dont know.

* <b>Also I cant divide some rectangles to 2 pices by a line in those versions.
    But some of thems are working.</b>

I recommend you to dont touch anything to your latest v153 model.
  • chubbystevechubbysteve Join Date: 2002-10-14 Member: 1496Members, Constellation
    Hey all, just thought I'd chip in this great bug to the thread (is there a thread for bug reports in the editor?).

Screenshot of it in action <a href="http://www.axyh61.dsl.pipex.com/steam%20overlay.jpg" target="_blank">here</a>. Enjoy!
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1808045:date=Nov 21 2010, 04:26 PM:name=chubbysteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chubbysteve @ Nov 21 2010, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808045"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey all, just thought I'd chip in this great bug to the thread (is there a thread for bug reports in the editor?).

Screenshot of it in action <a href="http://www.axyh61.dsl.pipex.com/steam%20overlay.jpg" target="_blank">here</a>. Enjoy!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Don't run it through Steam. Go to the game folder (Steam\Steamapps\Common\Natural Selection 2\Editor.exe) and launch it from there, it won't have the overlay (doesn't need steam open, either).
  • persoperso Join Date: 2003-02-19 Member: 13740Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Version 155 editor seems to auto weld vertices. I usually create rooms face by face so as to facilitate deleting single faces by just double clicking them and pressing delete (I don't like stray vertices). This also makes it easier to move single faces around.

Is this a bug and is there a workaround?
  • chubbystevechubbysteve Join Date: 2002-10-14 Member: 1496Members, Constellation
    Is it worth doing a thread for the editor: bugs and suggestions? I've only been using the editor since version 155 and don't understand what welding does but tend to run into problems with moving faces that are touching anything else. I have a few things written down here but don't want to spam this thread if it would be worth starting a new one with both suggestions for editor improvements and collation and listing of bugs and undesired or unintended errors.

Yay or nay?