Development Blog Update - NS2 Closed beta status

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - NS2 Closed beta status here

Comments

• WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Good to hear the major problems are being tackled; I anxiously await Monday.

Have a happy thanksgiving, UWE!
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I reiterate. <3 you guys so hard.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
  • HushHush Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72350Members
    edited November 2010
    Keep up the great work guys. Looking forward to the next patch that smooths out the connection issues.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    this should be a good read :P
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited January 2013
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    Thanks for the heads up! Cant wait to see the next patch coming :)
  • minimminim Join Date: 2009-05-14 Member: 67408Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807761:date=Nov 21 2010, 03:45 AM:name=BarerRudeROC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BarerRudeROC @ Nov 21 2010, 03:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any way I can donate?
    You guys deserve a lot more for all the work you put in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think you can "donate" as such, but you could always buy more copies and use them for whatever?
  • bannybanny Join Date: 2009-09-05 Member: 68703Members
    great job it make people less streess when dev talk about curent probleme, cause in the alpha dev take few day for post 3 line en tweeter and say, "we know for truble we wroking on it"

now we have a clear advice on what coder think about this lag probleme and we know than the "fix" is near, and i hope, cause lag probleme is since begining, no true game at more than 3v3 and game cannot be realy test untill 5v5.

so we realy hope next week we can for first time have start to try strategy in 5v5 6v6 standar number for a futur esport status and check bug and balance gameplay.

great work on this beta status and on 155 build
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    I wub u Max! Don't die on us now we need you to finish NS2 first!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Great post Max. Really informative and interesting - We're behind you!
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Glad you are taking some time off guys, go have fun in the real world :)
  • JimBob_UKJimBob_UK Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71233Members
    Good work guys, have a good thanksgiving. Can't wait to see what the next patch will do as the rate of improvements just keeps getting faster and faster.
  • imasillypiggyimasillypiggy Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71672Members
    edited November 2010
    big problems for me. First every 200 hundred times i try to connect to the server it only really lets me join once so it takes hours just to connect to one game and 2nd the game only displays properly on my much smaller monitor and when i try to play it on my big one it gets all staticy (to the point were i cant see anything at all)like im on a tv flipped to a channel without cable
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I Love information, in fact it was enough to make me gift a copy......doing it now!
  • OngreOngre Join Date: 2009-02-05 Member: 66309Members
    Good post Max, a long time since your last ! Hopefully we get that patch on monday and you guys can take a nap for some days !
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    I have to say I'm pretty impressed, the last two patches have been pretty good and I managed to have a couple of good games before servers crashed.

Don't die from to much work though Max, we are all screwed then.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Thanks for the briefing! I sure do hope the problems will be resolved mostly in the next patch :)

Keep up the good work!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Have a nice Turkey eating day you guys!
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    i hope for the possibility of at least 100 updates per second and 1000 serverfps per startparameter!

but take your time off and let your two compadrés work along :P

i hope for more detailed information posts like this :)!!!!
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    Monday? BUT I WANT IT NOW! *stomps feet*

Naw just kidding, good news though. I've only had 2 actually playable games out of about 30.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2010
    You are THE man Max! *goes off to construct Maximum Max Altar*

I don't care if forum folks get annoyed/mad/whatever for me saying this, but IMO Max you should take the time off RIGHT NOW. I REALLY want to see NS2 come to its full potential, but not at the cost of Max's health. Hell no!

Flayra, give Max a solid week off! Hell all of UWE needs a solid week away from their computers. Seriously, this is a glorious and wonderful game, but in the final analysis it's just a game and not worth sacrificing one's health just to see it done.

Now with that out of the way, I'm off to buy 5 more gift-copies of NS2.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807774:date=Nov 20 2010, 06:00 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Nov 20 2010, 06:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I Love information, in fact it was enough to make me gift a copy......doing it now!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Okay...so i thought about it and you guys need lots of turkey so you will have two new NS2 Players complaining. Happy Turkey Day!
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Nice, today I used the net_stats and saw the same thing Max is saying.
    I saw the Tick at 24 fps and slowly moving down, the in and out data sent was extremely low so I figured out that the problem was in there.

Great work guys. Keep on that. And after monday release, check if everything works better and get the hell out of the office until next day. And if something is wrong, get the hell out and come back next day more relaxed.
  • dnleechdnleech Join Date: 2005-02-02 Member: 39504Members
    edited November 2010
    Great informative post, Max! Please make sure to take care of yourselves as you push towards these major milestones; I know when I'm working on something I'm passionate about I tend to forget about time and food! The amount of work that has been done on the engine and game in the last three months is monolithic in size. We all tip our hats to the team and hope you guys truly enjoy the holiday break with your families! *gobble, gobble*

That being said, I think there is a very loud voice being heard on the forums to allow us to donate to the development further than a single pre-order. We all implore UWE to allow us to show our appreciation for the dedication and committment you guys exemplify day in, day out by bringing back a Constellation-like system. Most of us enjoyed NS1 for years and you guys are crafting a game that many of us will remember for the rest our lives!

cheers!
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    The game's running much better on this build than the last one, besides form the server crash of course.
    One doubt though, the article mentioned "If you are still having this problem in Build 156" Im currently on build 155 according to the game's menu, am I missing something or are you referring to the next build that's going to be released?
  • nirvanaXOnirvanaXO Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70747Members
    woot! Happy for the fixes and comfortable time of updating. Thanks UWE.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1807785:date=Nov 21 2010, 02:13 AM:name=McGlaspie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McGlaspie @ Nov 21 2010, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are THE man Max. *goes off to construct Maximum Max Altar*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    LIES, Max is not a mere man. Max a god of the lines of code!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1807790:date=Nov 20 2010, 10:37 PM:name=dnleech)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dnleech @ Nov 20 2010, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That being said, I think there is a very loud voice being heard on the forums to allow us to donate to the development further than a single pre-order. We all implore UWE to allow us to show our appreciation for the dedication and committment you guys exemplify day in, day out by bringing back a Constellation-like system. Most of us enjoyed NS1 for years and you guys are crafting a game that many of us will remember for the rest our lives!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <b><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->+1<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>

And I'm saying this having bought 7 copies, plus my own SE copy, (so far) of the game. I understand the struggle that indie studios have and I want to ensure UWE get's all the funding and support they need.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Great write up!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->...cept for all the grammatical errors... o_O<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->