Couldn't Establish A Connection With The Server

silvertearsilvertear Join Date: 2010-11-02 Member: 74712Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Connection Error</div>Hey guys!
I just ran NS2 for the first time since I pre-ordered it and it's running on build 155.
When I try to connect to any server, I either get "Couldn't Establish A Connection With The Server" or "Server Full".
I also can't create and games. I get the "Couldn't Establish A Connection With The Server" and after I get the message, if I go to the server listings, I get nothing and I have to restart the game.
I can't tell how many players are playing in total out of how many players slots are available so I have to assume the server is not full.
Is anyone else getting this problem?
And can anyone help me fix it?
Thanks!

Comments

• WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    It's a known issue from build 154 (the last alpha)
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806642:date=Nov 19 2010, 01:40 AM:name=Warmonger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Warmonger @ Nov 19 2010, 01:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a known issue from build 154 (the last alpha)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's supposed to be fixed in this build (see progress tracker).

I was able to connect to servers fine in 154, but now I can't connect to any on 155. :(
  • DihardDihard Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10365Members, Constellation
    I was eventually able to connect to a server, but before that I got this message when connecting to a few others. I had the same problem in build 154.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806652:date=Nov 19 2010, 02:44 AM:name=Iced_Eagle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iced_Eagle @ Nov 19 2010, 02:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's supposed to be fixed in this build (see progress tracker).

I was able to connect to servers fine in 154, but now I can't connect to any on 155. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ya same. It worked fine in 154 but not in 155. Something got broke.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    verify integrity in steam, and restart the game after a failed connection or after leaving a server/joining another server.

i got rarely problems with this, but this helped everytime.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Couldn't Establish A Connection With The Server" or "Server Full".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well if the servers are full after a patch - try another server or wait. (Full server is full server.)

100 of ppl try to connect the few servers, of course u cant connect if you aren't very lucky for the first few hours.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    Looks like I'm not the only one getting this problem....
  • SirpokSirpok Join Date: 2005-03-15 Member: 45355Members
    I am also getting this problem. I Pre ordered the game to get Alpha and have not been able to play 1 round of NS yet ...
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    if you guys want to run around a bit on a LAN server, set up a dedicated server and connect to it through your client.

(in your steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ directory)
    open a command prompt, type
    server.exe -name <insert name here> -lan true -map mapname (i suggest ns2_rockdown or ns2_junction) -limit 2

then fire up ns2 and connect to your own server.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited November 2010
    You should not have connections issues unless a firewall or your router is blocking it. You have to make sure that any firewall apps you are running, Including Windows Fire wall allows NS2.exe to access your network/internet. Something must be blocking it?

As for, could conenct before can't now, some servers are buggy and cant be connected to.
    other possibility is the download has gone foobar, some evidence of the install from other users has showed something has messed up somewhere and a redownload fixed this issue.
    You could use the integrity verification tool in steam found if you right click the game in properties on the steam games library list.

I did this once and it downloaded more files.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2010
    After having tried pretty much anything, alas I've not been able to resolve this issue. I'm hosting a dedicated on my server rig (in-house), I've seen a few players connect, but I can't connect myself, through the net, nor network. 'guess I'll have to wait for a patch. :)

EDIT: ACK! now my server is full.. oh, bittersweet 'victory'. <- I've been at it for over an hour to get the server going.
  • LyserLyser Join Date: 2010-08-12 Member: 73586Members
    I dont know much about this stuff, but would setting a port forward on your router help?
  • LyserLyser Join Date: 2010-08-12 Member: 73586Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806696:date=Nov 19 2010, 08:58 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 19 2010, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806696"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->verify integrity in steam, and restart the game after a failed connection or after leaving a server/joining another server.

i got rarely problems with this, but this helped everytime.

Well if the servers are full after a patch - try another server or wait. (Full server is full server.)

100 of ppl try to connect the few servers, of course u cant connect if you aren't very lucky for the first few hours.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks heaps this worked a charm
  • TherapyFailedTherapyFailed Join Date: 2010-01-10 Member: 70030Members
    I also have this problem.

For some reason F1 ingame does nothing for me (but as i remember did in the past), so i will type replication procedure for this issue here.

- start game, try joining a server, if it fails first time it will never succeed, sometime even not showing any servers after refresh. I can not even set up local server after that and need to restart game to try again.

-start game, set up local server, change map. I only get a black screen with authenticaton status above, but nothing happens. Not even escape will work, tried out console commands like quit, exit, but nothing works. Have to alt+f4 the game.
  • MakooMakoo Join Date: 2007-08-28 Member: 62042Members
    I had this issue to. Just that I could connect at first but then every server started to hate me aparently.
    But after changing the firewall rule to also include the domain it seems it works. not sure it wasnt just a fluke tho, just tried it twice and then in the middle of my second "success" i was thrown out so idk ;)

Might help anyone tho so i posted.
  • Lance_LakeLance_Lake Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26358Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807187:date=Nov 19 2010, 08:09 PM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ Nov 19 2010, 08:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807187"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should not have connections issues unless a firewall or your router is blocking it. You have to make sure that any firewall apps you are running, Including Windows Fire wall allows NS2.exe to access your network/internet. Something must be blocking it?

As for, could conenct before can't now, some servers are buggy and cant be connected to.
    other possibility is the download has gone foobar, some evidence of the install from other users has showed something has messed up somewhere and a redownload fixed this issue.
    You could use the integrity verification tool in steam found if you right click the game in properties on the steam games library list.

I did this once and it downloaded more files.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Verified files and turned OFF windows firewall (also made sure the exception was in there). No connection to ANY server I can find, nor any connection to my local server (made by create game).

Any other ideas?
  • TorabiTorabi Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70011Members
    A shame that ever since the first alpha I have still not been able to play NS2. During the Alpha I could run around on my own and shoot dummies. Now I can't even start my own game. I really want to try the aliens and whatnot but it is impossible. I know it is in Beta and whatnot. But I was kind of hoping to have something playable by now..
  • Lance_LakeLance_Lake Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26358Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807462:date=Nov 20 2010, 08:21 AM:name=Torabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Torabi @ Nov 20 2010, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A shame that ever since the first alpha I have still not been able to play NS2. During the Alpha I could run around on my own and shoot dummies. Now I can't even start my own game. I really want to try the aliens and whatnot but it is impossible. I know it is in Beta and whatnot. But I was kind of hoping to have something playable by now..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm right there with ya my friend. At least you managed to connect once. I've yet to see more then the opening menu screen.
    I can start the game. play a bit. then I get kicked out after it saying soemthing about connection problems and then i cant connect, and it doesnt really matter if i restart it a gaziolion times or not. It feels more like atimed/fluke kinda thing... and it IS allowed in my firewalls and what not.
  • TAz00TAz00 Join Date: 2004-10-06 Member: 32113Members
    i can nothing but report that i have the exact same issue. Also, F1 does nothing
    <!--quoteo(post=1807624:date=Nov 20 2010, 11:56 PM:name=TAz00)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TAz00 @ Nov 20 2010, 11:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i can nothing but report that i have the exact same issue. Also, F1 does nothing<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it does when you can connect to a server and can join it so to speak, then F1 works.at least for me it does work then. which is semi rare ofc.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    All this is related to the memory leak on the server.
    Once is fixed we can go and have a lot of fun.
  • HunterkillerHunterkiller Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75078Members
    Disabling the steam overlay worked for me.

(Steam>>View>>Settings>>In-Game>>tick box)
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Connection problem detected...
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    same problem here, cannot event connect to myself :D
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    same, i was able to connect fine in 154 but, not anymore.
    server is full... always even with 2people in it.
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807674:date=Nov 21 2010, 01:08 AM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Nov 21 2010, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807674"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->same, i was able to connect fine in 154 but, not anymore.
    server is full... always even with 2people in it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Servers almost always full, almost always never able to connect, always eventually thrown out.
    And all of those being related to the memory leak i can understand.

But I cant even host my own game. It tells me I cant connect then either. That's the one I personally think is kinda fishy :p

AND they say on the progress thingy that they fixed both the memory leak and the connection issue. Oh well,im not complaining i just like more info and stuff. And it IS a beta (and alfa like hours ago), I wouldnt be happy if it was flawless anyway.
  • BOBMUNZBOBMUNZ Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75094Members
    Anybody know what ports to forward?
    <!--quoteo(post=1807678:date=Nov 20 2010, 11:12 PM:name=BOBMUNZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BOBMUNZ @ Nov 20 2010, 11:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anybody know what ports to forward?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

TCP Ports
    27000-27100
    UDP Ports
    1200,27000-27100

:)
  • BOBMUNZBOBMUNZ Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807679:date=Nov 20 2010, 05:15 PM:name=Hunterkiller)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunterkiller @ Nov 20 2010, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TCP Ports
    27000-27100
    UDP Ports
    1200,27000-27100

:)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks, I was just about to post back that I was a moron and pulled a noob move by not bothering to check other threads in the forum, because I found it in the Trouble Shooting thread. Sooooo thanks for not flaming me lol
    <!--quoteo(post=1807681:date=Nov 20 2010, 11:17 PM:name=BOBMUNZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BOBMUNZ @ Nov 20 2010, 11:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks, I was just about to post back that I was a moron and pulled a noob move by not bothering to check other threads in the forum, because I found it in the Trouble Shooting thread. Sooooo thanks for not flaming me lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No worries. The thread isn't stickied and the title doesn't include ports so it would be easy to miss if you quickly scanned the forum.