Question about mouse sensitivity and responsiveness

lowsenslowsens Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75077Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I like it low and direct</div>Glad to see some progress in the successor of one of the best MP games ever. I almost forgot about it 'til today. Sadly, I also learned the source engine isn't used anymore. The problem for me with this is, source games are like the last games that provide proper mouse settings, especially if you're a low sensitivity gamer (I'm talking roughly 30 cm for a 180° turn here). Most games nowadays are horrible in this department, so I became very skeptical. It's often like choosing between a high and ultrahigh sensitivity from my perspective, and I'm even using and old 400 dpi mouse. An other issue are features like acceleration or smoothing which always lack the option to disable them. I'm not going to pay for a game I have to fiddle with some configuration files to get a decent mouse setup or worse, be stuck with some high sensitivity. It's annoying to say the least, and for MP games it's a dealbreaker. A quick search for sensitivity didn't paint a promising picture (Too high, laggy, etc.). I know, it's a beta, but it shows. Before giving up on the game I thought I ask directly for some objective opinions.

Thanks.

Comments

• kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    I suggested something similar to this on the suggestion feedback thing a while back. They should convert the slider bar to an actual number value and use an equation to calculate in/360 or cm/360. They should tell us that equation also, because I would like to have the same in/360 as i do for TF2. It could even be as quick as using the same formula as source games.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited November 2010
    I prefer high sensitivity, but I also understand that some people doesnt. I got an awesome mouse that I can set what dpi to use (altough not by number D: (slider between 100 and 1500 dpi)), and guess I could try and set it to 400 and try lowest ingame sensitivity. Will post my results so you know about what cm/2pi it currently would be for your mouse.

EDIT:
    Ok, at lowest it seem to be infinitely low sensitivity :P
    Tried near lowest, and it was about 55 centimeters for turning 360 degrees. It is possible to have lower than I had without being at lowest, so I guess you theoreticly could get the 30 cm/pi ratio you wanted (60 cm/2pi).

EDIT 2:
    Also, as a comparison to what sensitivity I like, I turn 360 degrees in less than 1 cm XD (higher dpi settings for mouse, aswell as in sensitivty bar).
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    So you're giving up on a game that just came out of alpha, because you can't get your exact mouse sensitivity?
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    The current provided menu controls are for function only but Mouse sensitivity is bugged, there are more serious things to sort out right now, Also the entire menu system is going to be redone at some stage cause its Flash and Flash is being ripped out.
  • lowsenslowsens Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75077Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807530:date=Nov 20 2010, 06:36 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Nov 20 2010, 06:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, at lowest it seem to be infinitely low sensitivity :P
    Tried near lowest, and it was about 55 centimeters for turning 360 degrees. It is possible to have lower than I had without being at lowest, so I guess you theoreticly could get the 30 cm/pi ratio you wanted (60 cm/2pi).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Nice to see they implemented a useful slider without some lower limit.
    On a side note, your setup sounds awfully fast, how can you hit anything that isn't the size of an elephant. :P

@kuperaye
    Yes, I'm all for an actual number value. This should be standard.

@wiry
    I ain't got the game yet and as I mentioned I don't trust in common sense anymore. If the lowest possible setting is still ten times faster than what I'm used to, I wouldn't call this a minor inconvenience. And this happens almost all the time. I honestly lost all hope, so I ask beforehand.
  • CGibbyCGibby Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75035Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807543:date=Nov 20 2010, 06:08 PM:name=lowsens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lowsens @ Nov 20 2010, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the lowest possible setting is still ten times faster than what I'm used to, I wouldn't call this a minor inconvenience. And this happens almost all the time. I honestly lost all hope, so I ask beforehand.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Adapt.

I for one, have never, ever adjusted sensitivity settings in games, and many games have varying sensitivity and I don't complain.
  • Mr. BohMr. Boh Join Date: 2009-11-14 Member: 69377Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807543:date=Nov 20 2010, 01:08 PM:name=lowsens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lowsens @ Nov 20 2010, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@kuperaye
    Yes, I'm all for an actual number value. This should be standard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd much prefer a numerical value as well. The slightest of changes to the slider makes a huge difference in sensitivity for me.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1807547:date=Nov 20 2010, 02:25 PM:name=CGibby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CGibby @ Nov 20 2010, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807547"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adapt.

I for one, have never, ever adjusted sensitivity settings in games, and many games have varying sensitivity and I don't complain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So he has to adapt, and companies have no responsibility at all to adapt to changing customer desires? :P
    The guy's got a legit concern, and he's not being a ###### demanding it NOW NOW NOW GAME FAILS YOU ALL SUCK. Let him have his say, and if he wants to wait till the devs can address the issue, great. That could be another sale at release. :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1807547:date=Nov 20 2010, 07:25 PM:name=CGibby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CGibby @ Nov 20 2010, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807547"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adapt.

I for one, have never, ever adjusted sensitivity settings in games, and many games have varying sensitivity and I don't complain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most (all) games have by default a very high sensitivity setting. The variations won't be that great. In other words, you always use a fairly high setting. Try 30cm/180° or less, which is on the complete opposite of the spectrum, and tell me you're fine with it or wouldn't complain if it were the maximum sensitivity setting in every goddamn game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1807558:date=Nov 20 2010, 08:29 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Nov 20 2010, 08:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So he has to adapt, and companies have no responsibility at all to adapt to changing customer desires? :P
    The guy's got a legit concern, and he's not being a ###### demanding it NOW NOW NOW GAME FAILS YOU ALL SUCK. Let him have his say, and if he wants to wait till the devs can address the issue, great. That could be another sale at release. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Haha, thanks. The answer from Feha is already promising. I couldn't count how often I've moved the sensitivity slider to its lower end, only to realize it's still far to sensitive. As long as the game provides a wide sensitivity range with small increments or a numerical input field, I'm more than happy to buy the game on release. If it's any good.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807569:date=Nov 20 2010, 09:10 PM:name=lowsens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lowsens @ Nov 20 2010, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haha, thanks. The answer from Feha is already promising. I couldn't count how often I've moved the sensitivity slider to its lower end, only to realize it's still far to sensitive. As long as the game provides a wide sensitivity range with small increments or a numerical input field, I'm more than happy to buy the game on release. If it's any good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I ran into this even on UT2k4 which is probably supposed to be very delicate when it comes to controls. It actually has a numeric value, but it doesn't go below 1 and that's pretty damn sensitive even though I like playing at relatively high sens.

I probably could've solved it through some DPI and driver settings, but that feels quite cumbersone when I can have most games responsive permanently through simple ingame configuration.