Flashlight combat and power nodes

antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
edited November 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">intense stuff</div>When the aliens kill a power node and it goes dark, its pretty fun stuff for the marines to have to rely on their flashlights to see whats going on, however the emerg lights do turn on pretty quick.

Personally I think it would be alot more dramatic if the marines had to like flip a switch inside the pitch black room to get the emerg lights. Be kind of like Doom 3.

Comments

• RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That is a great idea! It should be located behind the power node after it explodes. Some sort of back up lever.

The flash light needs to be brighter too imo.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    or just have the emergency power lights flicker in and out. not short flickers, but long flickers where when the lights are off aliens could jet about without being directly seen.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I also think that the emergency lights come on too quick and are rather bright. The flickering is a great idea, or just make it so the commander has to manually turn them on, and perhaps add a small delay when he does so.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Hm. While it sounds cool, I really don't want to be groping around to turn on lights.

Also, while emergency lights do help you navigate the room, they tend to be piss poor at helping you spot and target Aliens, and with all your buildings down I think it's a large enough advantage already.

So, sounds awesome, but I'm skeptical on the gameplay.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I think that it should stay black just a few seconds longer, and that aliens should be better to see in the dark (like the flasglight in ns1, which made marines glow in the dark).
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Might be some large implications on the gameplay by making it completely dark for that long. However I do agree, the darkness could last a little while longer.
    Or maybe the pulsating red could cycle more slowly from red to near darkness? :/

On an unrelated note, could be fun if the Aliens could cause darkness even after the powernode has gone down to 0% (without use of Drifters, hardly any point having them being able to do that since they can just use the Flashbang anyway). How that could be done I'm not sure of though.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1807110:date=Nov 20 2010, 12:24 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Nov 20 2010, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm. While it sounds cool, I really don't want to be groping around to turn on lights.

Also, while emergency lights do help you navigate the room, they tend to be piss poor at helping you spot and target Aliens, and with all your buildings down I think it's a large enough advantage already.

So, sounds awesome, but I'm skeptical on the gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well it would be like, the switch itself would be lit.

So you see a pitch black room, with an ominous lit switch in the distance, knowing you need to get there, when there are skulks lurking in every corner.

Type thing.

Could be pretty great if you ask me.
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    Given the darkness is meant to help the aliens - could their vision be tweaked a bit to lessen the effects of light/dark? I'm not talking 'fullbright' or anything but just making it so the aliens have a clear(er) advantage seeing in the dark
    edited November 2010
    Well in NS1 the aliens have "alien vision" which is pretty much a must-have for any marine hungry skulk (it illuminates all players). I hope/assume a similar feature will be in NS2.
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    The view from NS1 did nothing to help with seeing the map etc - so you could find some nice dark vents and get entirely lost - if you just changed the gamma curve (not making it uniformly more bright, but shifting the contrast over different bits of the range) it could make the alien view a bit more washed out (a downside maybe) but make you feel more 'at home' in dark areas. Seeing a glowing marine is fine until you run headlong into an obstacle you couldn't see.

To avoid washing out entirely you could also increase the effects of bright areas, so for 'mid range' brightness, things look sort of normal for aliens, they still look sort of normal as it gets fairly dark, 'quite dark' when it's 'very dark', but at 'quite bright' they'd see 'very bright'.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I dont like the idea of making aliens have trouble with lights, unless the alien sight would be a toggleable mode like it is in ns1. That would make people not run around with it constantly be on. Yet it isnt the best idea anyway, as I liked running with it constantly on. Also, what happens when a drifter flashbangs near a alien with that sight on :S?

Making aliens see geometry in the dark better than the rines is a good idea tho.
  • HunterkillerHunterkiller Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75078Members
    You could have some sort of "outline" for the alien night vision, where props and objects are outlined and marines are highlighted.

This allows you to navigate through the darkness without collision, but also see where is nice and dark and when enemies are coming.

It might be a good addition to only have visible marines highlighted, to stop the effective wallhack, so it's just improved vision, rather than a 6th sense.
    edited November 2010
    Yeah hunter I was going to say the same thing, a nifty alien-sight that is toggable with F, that allows marines and objects to be outlined better.

Also the ability to see through objects and players in NS1 was key to playing gorge and keeping behind your Onos / node / OC.