Server Hosting

nysbigdavenysbigdave Join Date: 2003-12-23 Member: 24697Awaiting Authorization, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Looking for a hosting company or a partner</div>HI,

Im looking for a decent hosting company thats fairly priced so i can host 2 instances of NS one NS1 ONE NS2
Both running on SSD drives.

Anyone have suggestions?

Comments

• RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    Where in the world are you and why so wrapped up with SSD? a good raid array would still load maps more then fast enough.
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    edited November 2010
    I simply can't agree more with rebel. Location and Raid.

<!--quoteo(post=1804532:date=Nov 5 2010, 07:57 AM:name=nysbigdave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nysbigdave @ Nov 5 2010, 07:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HI,

Im looking for a decent hosting company thats fairly priced so i can host 2 instances of NS one NS1 ONE NS2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Decent and fairly priced are the only concerns? Strange, the first thing for me with hosting is <b>location</b> so I can get decent ping.
    I guess you're american, so maybe something like gamerservers.com or hypernia.com for NS1 hosting, hypernia wont be looking at NS2 hosting until release, good luck finding some NS2 hosting, if the physical locaiton of your server isn't a concern I'm sure you'll be fine.

But, this requirment could cause a few troubles...
    <!--quoteo(post=1804532:date=Nov 5 2010, 07:57 AM:name=nysbigdave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nysbigdave @ Nov 5 2010, 07:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Both running on SSD drives.

Anyone have suggestions?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have three suggestions for you, ranging from cheapest to the most expensive and work involved.
    1) Find a company that offers NS2 hosting (don't think there's that many), and ask them via email.
    2) I did a quick google for <i>dedicated server hosting ssd</i> and came up with <a href="http://www.liquidweb.com/" target="_blank">http://www.liquidweb.com/</a>, I belive they offer dedicated servers with SSD drives from the article I found, I'm sure some deeper google-fu will yeild more providers. What you'd want is to get a dedicated server and then you can login and setup your dedicated servers.
    3) Co-location. Setup your own 'ssd' server, find a data center with room and a decent cost to host it for you.
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    Well I said what I said as server load times are usually minimal compared to the process of clients handshaking to it (it's not like the players are actually loading the game from the server) so what difference does it make if map changes take 2secs more??
    The cost of renting a server with SSD would outvalue the benefits I should think.

Also, OP has been registered for 7 years ant that was his first post! :o - Welcome to the forums :D