Whats The Deal With Chambers?

LucidLucid Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10534Members, Constellation
ok so when i'm an alien and i want to upgrade myself, what determines how many upgrades i can get? Does it matter how many chambers are near me? does it matter how many chambers are built on the map? like if there are 3 movement chambers near me can i get level 3 celerity? or can i get all three movement upgrades? or do i need to have more hives for more upgrades? ahhhhhhhhhhh i'm clueless

Comments

• The_SpectreThe_Spectre Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9212Members
    The chamber system works like this:

Each hive can support one type of chamber, either Defense, Movement, or Sensory. Once at least one chamber of a certain type is up, all aliens can pick <i>one</i> upgrade from that type. This upgrade stays with you until you die, and then you can pick another if you want. The level of the upgrades depends on the number of chambers of that type (on the whole map):
    One chamber gives the level 1 upgrades for that type of chamber.
    Two chambers gives the level 2 upgrades for that type of chamber.
    Three or more chambers gives the level 3 upgrades for that type of chamber. It doesn't go higher than 3.

Note: Once you build a certain type of chamber, the hive is "locked" to that type. If you build a Sensory chamber when there's only one hive, you and your team will be unable to build Defense or Movement chambers until you get a second hive. If you don't know what you're doing, don't build a new type of chamber.
    The "normal" order right now, is Defence for the first hive, Movement for second, and Sensory for last hive. By "normal", I mean it's the most used in public servers, and it won't get you yelled at. You should only deviate from this order if your team knows about it and agrees with it.
  • DracosDracos Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4806Members
    The number of chambers determines the level of the ability but you can only have one ability from each type of chamber. So if you pick carapace and your team has 3 defence chambers anywhere on map you get level 3 carapace but you cannot pick anymore upgrades in the defence chamber group.