NS2 Progress

Comments

• CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Release (build 153 Tues/Wed)

Sigh.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    I still don't completely understand how the Tracker works... the technical patch is now accepted but the gameplay tasks are still delivered and the patch is "to be done" o_O
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1804291:date=Nov 3 2010, 02:07 AM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Nov 3 2010, 02:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804291"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still don't completely understand how the Tracker works... the technical patch is now accepted but the gameplay tasks are still delivered and the patch is "to be done" o_O<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Delivered = sent to play testers. Aka, in testing to make sure it was done right (more or less). Once they are all green and accepted, UWE should sooner or later send it to Valve. Valve will take their sweet time with it, then at some point they will upload it for the world to download, at some point.

It's really not hard at all to understand it. Really.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    and it seems they plan to do less playtesting, so in that case only the engine stuff was tested, perhaps by flayra, but the gamestuff not so much (except for the developer that did it). So not all tasks have to be green before the patch.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1804292:date=Nov 3 2010, 11:46 AM:name=The_Ranger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Ranger @ Nov 3 2010, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804292"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Delivered = sent to play testers. Aka, in testing to make sure it was done right (more or less). Once they are all green and accepted, UWE should sooner or later send it to Valve. Valve will take their sweet time with it, then at some point they will upload it for the world to download, at some point.

It's really not hard at all to understand it. Really.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is not the hard to understand part that i mean. What i mean is that in Max's part the actual release 153 has been marked accepted (so it means the whole release/all the updates are accepted and probably have been sent to valve) but in Charlie's list the patch is still not done, so they are kind of not synchronous. Usually actual release (blue line) gets accepted in both of the lists.
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1804294:date=Nov 3 2010, 04:08 AM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Nov 3 2010, 04:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804294"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is not the hard to understand part that i mean. What i mean is that in Max's part the actual release 153 has been marked accepted (so it means the whole release/all the updates are accepted and probably have been sent to valve) but in Charlie's list the patch is still not done, so they are kind of not synchronous. Usually actual release (blue line) gets accepted in both of the lists.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Max finished the tech side of the patch (thus, "accepted"), and is done for this patch. Charlie is finishing up things on his end. Once he's done, then Gameplay Tasks will become "accepted" for the patch, and then it will likely get tested and off it goes to Valve, then us! :)
  • jimnablazedjimnablazed Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69946Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1804297:date=Nov 3 2010, 11:28 AM:name=Iced_Eagle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iced_Eagle @ Nov 3 2010, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804297"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Max finished the tech side of the patch (thus, "accepted"), and is done for this patch. Charlie is finishing up things on his end. Once he's done, then Gameplay Tasks will become "accepted" for the patch, and then it will likely get tested and off it goes to Valve, then us! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hope that happens today...
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    "Patch 153 (submitted to Valve 11/3)"

So "submitted" as in sent already?
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1804335:date=Nov 3 2010, 11:55 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Nov 3 2010, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Patch 153 (submitted to Valve 11/3)"

So "submitted" as in sent already?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It could mean "submit - yield to the control of another" (in this case Valve).
    Or it could mean exactly what it says and we'll be seeing a patch soon, yay ^^
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    they probably wait for the announcement because they know valve will take at least a day, so they don't get all those angry trolls in the forums. but we konw better!
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Hoping to see the patch tonight, but we'll see how long Valve takes.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2010
    I'd just like to know the average amount of time each of these submissions to Steam takes and if it being work-hours in the US affects the speed of it at all.

P.S It's 20:58 here so it's a matter of "should stay up a bit late tonight or just hope it's done tomorrow" kind of thing.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2010
    If it submitted when they claimed, then it went out roughly around noon for them (same time zone valve is on?). Besides the last patch (which could have taken so long because it was submitted after hours) I thought the time between a patch uploading and going live was fairly quick usually?

EIDT: posted this and then saw the patch is now out, so lets say valve takes a few hours of 'handling' before a patch goes through (unless after hours?)
    It's patching. Therefore a couple of hours turn around time between submitting a patch and it downloading. (but this may not be expected for future patches... although i'll wonder if they really "submitted" to valve the next time it takes a day and half :P)
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1804351:date=Nov 3 2010, 10:08 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Nov 3 2010, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804351"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's patching. Therefore a couple of hours turn around time between submitting a patch and it downloading. (but this may not be expected for future patches... although i'll wonder if they really "submitted" to valve the next time it takes a day and half :P)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be fair, the last patch was what? 1.4 gig? :D

Also... Seems odd that the NS2 twitter feed hasn't been updated to reflect the patch release. Meh.
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1804544:date=Nov 4 2010, 08:49 PM:name=tyrael64)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tyrael64 @ Nov 4 2010, 08:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->154 bar, nice xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cool. Their really kicking ass now.
  • bhazbhaz Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69353Members
    edited November 2010
    Loving the extrapolation in 153 - watching other players move doesn't look like a slideshow anymore. xD
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->154 bar, nice xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm really loving what i'm seeing UWE. It's clear that your trying to get smaller patches out, more often. This is defiantly better for the game and better for the community. Thank you.
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    edited November 2010
    Yet to actually have a decent-ish "game" that didn't end with the server lagging or crashing due to people spamming hydra's. Even when you ask them not to.

I think there should be an unspoken rule that players should TRY to go easy using flamethrowers and hydra. One too many of either just ruins what little gameplay there actually is to work with. Or just flat-out breaks the server.

Maybe its just my bad luck. But every game I join, there is a gorge... who seems to have a hydra fetish.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1804649:date=Nov 6 2010, 12:24 PM:name=MaLaKa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaLaKa @ Nov 6 2010, 12:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe its just my bad luck. But every game I join, there is a gorge... who seems to have a hydra fetish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But Gorges look so cute and innocent!

For sure though. Or someone that decides to Mac-Attack.
    "We just had the most awesome playtest - made some incredible frame-rate breakthroughs! The game is so much improved! #fb"

I had a feeling it was either going to be something simple, or almost impossibly complex to solve.

The twitter is not specific as to how the fix came about (hope this is not another hype train).

I vote that this fix, and whatever else is done, be pushed out the door asap :P
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1804668:date=Nov 6 2010, 06:10 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Nov 6 2010, 06:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804668"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"We just had the most awesome playtest - made some incredible frame-rate breakthroughs! The game is so much improved! #fb"

I had a feeling it was either going to be something simple, or almost impossibly complex to solve.

The twitter is not specific as to how the fix came about (hope this is not another hype train).

<b>I vote that this fix, and whatever else is done, be pushed out the door asap :P</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

AGREE, before it gets hyped up and finally when released all sorts of bugs start showing up.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2010
    Considering UWE is starting to break the patches into smaller chunks and how much progress they've made on 154 already; I'd say it's a good bet we'll see a patch sometime next week. The thing I'm itching to see is the Physics getting stripped out of the collisions system on the server. That one change will be a big improvement for server performance.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This game should be running absolutely fine on my laptop (lowest settings), and it still struggles massively.

Until then, i'm not getting my hopes up.
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    •We just had the most awesome playtest - made some incredible frame-rate breakthroughs! The game is so much improved! #fb about 7 hours ago

THAT'S A LITTLE STEP FOR MANKIND BUT A BIG JUMP FOR NS2 PLAYERS
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1804704:date=Nov 7 2010, 12:11 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Nov 7 2010, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804704"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This game should be running absolutely fine on my laptop (lowest settings), and it still struggles massively.

Until then, i'm not getting my hopes up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol, laptop and you expect performance.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why not? I can run just about any other game very smoothly at lowest settings, even Crisis runs reasonably.

I am sure I remember UWE said they were trying to make this game available for everyone, so I am expecting to be able to play on this rig okay once everything is optimised.
  • nightznightz Join Date: 2010-07-11 Member: 72317Members
    I hate this kind of hype they are promoting through twitter. What UWE should do is keep the news to themselves and try to surprise alpha testers. "We are working on bug fixes, upload soon" would be ALOT better to read since it would not force us to EXPECT something "GREAT" like they are trying to promote. We all know the game is alpha, but when stuff starts to work then thats what make us CUSTOMERS happy.
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    "While stationery/moving & looking directly up, Firing your gun makes you spin."

Hehe! *Runs off to try this before it gets fixed.*