Write a novel month!

X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
edited October 2010 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">I'm making a topic!</div>It's been so long since I made a topic, I forgot where the "new topic" button was!

Anyway. This.

<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org/" target="_blank">National Novel Writing Month.</a> To anyone who already knows about this and is gonna be all "lol this is old news you suck" can... do things. To themselves.

The objective of this thing is to write a 50,000 word novel between 1st November and 30th November. And upload it to the site. And get a (downloadable) winner's certificate. Yes that is literally it.

You might be thinking "You can't write a good novel in a month" but just stop right there because you made a mistake early on in that sentence; the objective isn't "good". The objective is "50,000 words long". The novel will most likely not be good. In fact it's almost certain to be terrible.

The idea is you start a novel <i>from scratch</i> on the 1st November, and basically just write until it's done. And then feel happy when it's done, and presumably become amused at how terrible what you've produced is.

You might be asking what the point of this is. Isn't it dumb to intentionally write (at least) 50,000 words of rubbish? Isn't the writing process supposed to include checks and revisions and several drafts? Well, in answer to your question, I ask another one; What's *your* point, huh? That's what I thought.

Anyway I might do this because I get bored easily.

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    You're also going to quit after a few thousand words because you get bored easily. But don't let me stop you! You should try anyway. I promise to try and read what you beget.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    That's quite the novel idea! <a href="http://instantrimshot.com/" target="_blank">http://instantrimshot.com/</a>
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1801563:date=Oct 15 2010, 12:04 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Oct 15 2010, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801563"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're also going to quit after a few thousand words because you get bored easily. But don't let me stop you! You should try anyway. I promise to try and read what you beget.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I got so bored that it went back in time and stopped me from starting in the first place!

Or I might just be lazy.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1801563:date=Oct 15 2010, 12:04 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Oct 15 2010, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801563"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're also going to quit after a few thousand words because you get bored easily. But don't let me stop you! You should try anyway. I promise to try and read what you beget.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll write 5,000 words of the story, quit, tell you, get laughed at, and then finish it off by writing 45,000 words detailing exactly why you suck.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    The Story of the Fat Kid Whose Bike Tire Fell Off and Got Beat Up on IRC
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 1:

Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat. Stickman is fat.

Chapter 2:
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    ....got beat up on IRC?
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aHY8yTkWb0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aHY8yTkWb0</a>

Stop watching after John Lithgow, is done talking.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Why would we beat up a bike tire on IRC? That's silly.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It'd be quicker and easier to annoy one of the programmers at university to write me a program which writes terrible novels for me.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    I kind of like the idea of this but despite being tempted I've never reached the tipping point where I do it. I think it'd be good for me if I did though... it gets you back in the habit of writing and more importantly exercises that rare skill few people bother with called "finishing something" :3

Back in school there was always some silly essay or exercise to keep my writing sharp, but whenever we were given something creative I'd enjoy it and apparently so did my teachers, who told me I should do some pieces for published works. Sadly I never did, and without the motivation of a dead line or a 'task' since then, all my stories have ever-more lain trapped in this silly little head of mine :3

I'd definitely recommend most people to give something like this a shot though. I'm no shining example to follow unfortunately, but if you have even a passing interest in writing, stuff like this is good for you and fun. You might even learn something in the process or come up with an idea you otherwise wouldn't have :p
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    Do technical documentations count as novels?

If so, I can already see that certificate hanging above my desk.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    the world needs more terrible writing .../o/
    <!--quoteo(post=1802254:date=Oct 21 2010, 09:48 PM:name=ZiGGY)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZiGGY @ Oct 21 2010, 09:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1802254"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the world needs more terrible writing .../o/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/lyttony.htm" target="_blank">Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blown’ off Nantucket Sound from nor’ east and the dogs are howlin’ for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the “Ellie May,” a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin’ and, Davey Jonesw be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.</a>

- David McKenzie, 2009 <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulwer%E2%80%93Lytton_Fiction_Contest" target="_blank"> Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest</a> winner.
  • TekdudeTekdude Join Date: 2003-04-13 Member: 15455Members, Constellation, Forum staff
    I was actually going to try and participate this year, thanks for the reminder X Stickman. Remind me in IRC on the 1st so I can start.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Yeah cause you can't write yourself a memo or anything.
  • TekdudeTekdude Join Date: 2003-04-13 Member: 15455Members, Constellation, Forum staff
    I'm just trying to trick him into rejoining the #ns crowd...
    I'd rather jump off a bridge.