Somewhat Realistic balistics?

RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm not talking 'bout realistic downtravel, that can be ignored, "our" battlefields are rather close combat.

I mean deflection through waterfalls*, high pressure exhausts* and reduced damage / range when shooting submerged.

...the last thing could be done with quite a simple lua code:

if self.swimming = 1 then
self.rifle.range = weaponrange_submerged
self.rifle.damage = weapondamage_submerged
end

I'm sick and tired of seeing projectile weapons not working under water, where they should have 'only' a higher deviation, lower range and about 10% less damage.

* requires bulletbath check on hitscan weapons.
I dont know yet how that is performed at all, so i ant make any suggestions for that.

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I think they've mentioned that water isn't going to be in, not at least in the amounts that you could swim in.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Except I already coded some kind of messy water entity just for the lolz :P (see thread "water").

About weapons not firing while submerged, I actually like that on some of them. Often you dont want to submerge guns due to rust, and not to mention how they can impact on the guns behavior while not submerged. Those that do fire while submerged could probably have some modifiers though.

Changing dir of a trace mid-trace sounds like some kind of expensive trace (or rather, a trace detecting stuff, calculate new trace and runs it, and so on), and probably not really worth it. On "real" ballistic weapons like grenades it would be cooler though.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1773068:date=Jun 2 2010, 12:21 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jun 2 2010, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think they've mentioned that water isn't going to be in, not at least in the amounts that you could swim in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On intial release at least. I thought there was some allusion to getting more water stuffs for later. Could be wrong of course.

For bullet path calculation it isn't too hard. It's the same as detecting a hit on an enemy. Trace path, check for collisions. If you hit a wall, it hits the wall. Hit a high velocity water/air entity, do stuffs!

That being said, I'm unsure how many of these will be around and if it's worth it to modify the bullet path. At least realistically with more deflection for more time going through the volume. More fixed deflections and such would be a quick first-order hack.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    All of the water stuff is out. I don't see exhaust from some vent causing a bullet to slow down.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I'd much rather just have the bullets go where I point the gun and not ever be expected to shoot aliens underwater.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    most weapons are designed to fire underwater. thats not to say they wont fire a few rounds, but oince flooded brass wont eject properly, working parts wont move properly and rounds my not even chamber properly
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1773221:date=Jun 3 2010, 11:08 PM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Jun 3 2010, 11:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All of the water stuff is out. I don't see exhaust from some vent causing a bullet to slow down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not talking about a lazy cloud of steam floating through air.
    Four to five bar of pressurized gas should already be able to alter a bullet's path.
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    idk it so situational it doesn't really matter.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited June 2010
    I want Fire Flower powerups for my tulip-rocket launcher as a Fade.
  • social3ngin33rinsocial3ngin33rin Join Date: 2010-10-18 Member: 74498Members
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1773064:date=Jun 1 2010, 11:34 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jun 1 2010, 11:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not talking 'bout realistic downtravel, that can be ignored, "our" battlefields are rather close combat.

I mean deflection through waterfalls*, high pressure exhausts* and reduced damage / range when shooting submerged.

...the last thing could be done with quite a simple lua code:

if self.swimming = 1 then
    self.rifle.range = weaponrange_submerged
    self.rifle.damage = weapondamage_submerged
    end

I'm sick and tired of seeing projectile weapons not working under water, where they should have 'only' a higher deviation, lower range and about 10% less damage.

* requires bulletbath check on hitscan weapons.
    I dont know yet how that is performed at all, so i ant make any suggestions for that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOLOLOL
    do you know how fast projectiles slow down once they leave the barrel?!?!?!?
    how did you come up with the 10%
    it's more like 90% damage = 1 foot
    20% damage = 2 feet
    0 damage = 2.5 feet

Edit: These are all under exaggerated since a lot more E is lost anyways
    What you're look for is an alternate weapon to shoot with underwater,
    such as a spear gun

Edit: oh yeah, why would you want to shoot your gun underwater anyways?
    Do you really want the gun to explode right in your face from the expanding gases not being able to escape!?!?
    Or you have no idea why you shouldn't shoot guns submerged?!?